Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: S7 reinstall android/rom?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    nope
    Posts
    2

    S7 reinstall android/rom?

    Hi all I've seen a wide selection of ROMs/guides/firmware updates/etc for other polaroid tablets but when it comes to the S7 there is nothing. Not even southerntelcom's website has any updates or even S7 listed. Does anyone know if the S7 is just a rebrand of something else maybe? android shows the model as S7 but other than that I don't know how to figure out if its insides are the same as another model.

    I want to flash the ROM/reinstall android OS because the touchscreen response is mediocre(i know this might not fix it but this problem is secondary) and mainly because I can't get the wi-fi to enable, it just says "enabling wi-fi" when I try to turn it on. I tried doing the reinstall/recovery/delete all option from within androids settings but that always just locks up.

    If anyone knows a good guide to how to go about reinstalling android on here or a possible fix (something through a root explorer i'd guess? dunno...) let me know your best guess, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Columbia MO, USA
    Posts
    7
    I wish I could help you, but I can at least empathize with you, there is nothing about my s8 too. I hope someone can help you and more becomes known about our s7/8 tablets.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    ROM Developers elektrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,572
    The only reason the other Polaroid tablets have ROMs are because I own one (or in the case of the modified stocks I was able to easily modify the image for one). Unfortunately, this led to me being up to my eyeballs in maintaining ROMs (currently I'm trying to update Elektricity ROM for the PMID701i 13 and it's fighting me horribly, ha ha!). In the case of your specific tablet, I don't own one, nor do I even have something from Southern Telecom to work with (same with the S8). Couple that with the fact that Polaroid seems content to slutting it's name on just about anything these days and we come to your situation....

  4. #4
    ROM Developers elektrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by tunafish View Post

    I want to flash the ROM/reinstall android OS because the touchscreen response is mediocre(i know this might not fix it but this problem is secondary) and mainly because I can't get the wi-fi to enable, it just says "enabling wi-fi" when I try to turn it on. I tried doing the reinstall/recovery/delete all option from within androids settings but that always just locks up.
    BTW, This post might help with the wi-fi issue.

    http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...6691#post96691

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    29

    S7 Firmware

    Quote Originally Posted by tunafish View Post
    Hi all I've seen a wide selection of ROMs/guides/firmware updates/etc for other polaroid tablets but when it comes to the S7 there is nothing. Not even southerntelcom's website has any updates or even S7 listed. Does anyone know if the S7 is just a rebrand of something else maybe? android shows the model as S7 but other than that I don't know how to figure out if its insides are the same as another model.

    I want to flash the ROM/reinstall android OS because the touchscreen response is mediocre(i know this might not fix it but this problem is secondary) and mainly because I can't get the wi-fi to enable, it just says "enabling wi-fi" when I try to turn it on. I tried doing the reinstall/recovery/delete all option from within androids settings but that always just locks up.

    If anyone knows a good guide to how to go about reinstalling android on here or a possible fix (something through a root explorer i'd guess? dunno...) let me know your best guess, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Polaroid has at least two models of the S7. One model is made by Gajah International - product #MD7007C running Android 4.1.1. I located the tablet maker using the FCC #UFK MD7007C0 on the back of the tablet.

    I no longer have the other Polaroid model S7 running Android 4.2 as it was returned for warranty service.

    Do you have the model running Android 4.2; and if so, would you kindly provide the FCC#.

    I was able to root both tablets. However, you need to alter the generic Google USB driver adding the S7 hardware ID information to android_winusb.inf under the following headings:

    For the model running 4.1, the following lines allow the driver to recognize the tablet:

    [Google.NTx86]

    ;S7
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&REV_0222&MI_01

    [Google.NTamd64]

    ;S7
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&REV_0222&MI_01

    I no longer have the ID information for the 4.2 tablet.

    If you have used ADB on your windows system, you will also need to alter the file "adb_usb.ini" to include the following line:

    0x2207

    Just use the your file search window and it will pull the file up.

    Then, ADB will recognize the tablet. Also, still waiting on images from Southern Telecom.

    - Jim

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    us
    Posts
    2
    Polaroid S7 android 4.2.2 FCC ID:RBD-V7A20 BN01.01.003.023.01

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    29

    S7 Firmware

    Quote Originally Posted by jup68 View Post
    Polaroid S7 android 4.2.2 FCC ID:RBD-V7A20 BN01.01.003.023.01
    The S7 with FCC# RBD-V7A20 is manufactured by Shenzhen Jingwah Information Technology Company, Ltd.

    The following is from the FCC site:

    "Shenzhen Jingwah Information Technology Co., Ltd. Are applying for FCC DOC for Tablet PC with model number: EM7, A7, S7, V7."

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    29

    S7 Rom Dump

    Quote Originally Posted by jimwallcft View Post
    The S7 with FCC# RBD-V7A20 is manufactured by Shenzhen Jingwah Information Technology Company, Ltd.

    The following is from the FCC site:

    "Shenzhen Jingwah Information Technology Co., Ltd. Are applying for FCC DOC for Tablet PC with model number: EM7, A7, S7, V7."
    Thanks to Shawnmt's post yesterday, I was able to obtain the img files from the replacement S7 tablet running 4.1.1. Nothing has been done to the unit other than turn it on and download them to the sdcard.

    The following is reported by ADB:

    Name:  S7 Image Files.png
Views: 2378
Size:  8.4 KB


    I am a noob and perhaps someone who can cook the image can let me know what files I need to upload and where. I have successfully rooted another S7 tablet of the same version. However, I need to unlock the bootloader to access recovery mode. On the 4.2 S7 version, it provided access to recovery mode, but not on this 4.1 version.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    29

    Southern Telecom S7 Image w/ Playstore

    Southern Telecom has recently posted an updated rom with Google Playstore for the 4.2 version of the S7 using their scaled down version of PhoenixSuit software.

    http://southerntelecom.com/s7/index.html


    Quote Originally Posted by tunafish View Post
    Hi all I've seen a wide selection of ROMs/guides/firmware updates/etc for other polaroid tablets but when it comes to the S7 there is nothing. Not even southerntelcom's website has any updates or even S7 listed. Does anyone know if the S7 is just a rebrand of something else maybe? android shows the model as S7 but other than that I don't know how to figure out if its insides are the same as another model.

    I want to flash the ROM/reinstall android OS because the touchscreen response is mediocre(i know this might not fix it but this problem is secondary) and mainly because I can't get the wi-fi to enable, it just says "enabling wi-fi" when I try to turn it on. I tried doing the reinstall/recovery/delete all option from within androids settings but that always just locks up.

    If anyone knows a good guide to how to go about reinstalling android on here or a possible fix (something through a root explorer i'd guess? dunno...) let me know your best guess, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

  10. #10
    ROM Developers elektrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,572

    S7 reinstall android/rom?

    Ooh. I like how they say 'can't'-looks like a challenge to me lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Member jsta6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    60
    How do you like this tablet? The S8 is on super double secret sale at Kohls ($40 rebate)...
    Polaroid S8
    Blackberry Torch
    Kindle Fire HD Gen 2 - Wifes
    Nokia 520 Windows 8 - Wifes
    (3) Nextbook 7s - Slooooooow - (Finless Bob ROM) - used for kids e-readers
    (2) Samsung Exhibits - kids
    Samsung Blaze, Kindle Fire, (2) PMID701c (Elektrik ROM) - all RIP
    ...some laptops, some PC's and some routers / switches

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    4

    Lost root

    Quote Originally Posted by jimwallcft View Post
    Southern Telecom has recently posted an updated rom with Google Playstore for the 4.2 version of the S7 using their scaled down version of PhoenixSuit software.

    http://southerntelecom.com/s7/index.html
    Lost root when I did this update. The update is a big improvement, but you will lose root. So... can anybody steer, actually, GUIDE me, in the process of rooting this device? I have rooted and romd several phones, mostly Samsung, so I'm not a total Noob, but by no means an expert.
    Model # A/S7
    SOC Chip: Super dual core A20
    Android: 4.2.2
    Kernal: 1.0.0
    Build: AS7-20130827
    FCC ID: RBD-V7A20
    BN01.003.023.01

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jsta6 View Post
    How do you like this tablet? The S8 is on super double secret sale at Kohls ($40 rebate)...
    Just got 2 s7 @ Toys R Us for $49.99 ea. The S8 is on sale right now for $59.99. Pretty good tablets for the price, but I made the mistake of upgrading and lost root. They came stock rooted believe it or not. Had Play store and everything on it and then found the update. Can't believe they would sell them rooted with 4.2 and then update them to 4.2.2 without root. The update is a big improvement over the original rom though.

  14. #14
    Member jsta6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    60
    so, 4.2 is rooted, has google play, but is boggy?

    and 4.2.2 is not rooted, has google play, and is not boggy?
    Polaroid S8
    Blackberry Torch
    Kindle Fire HD Gen 2 - Wifes
    Nokia 520 Windows 8 - Wifes
    (3) Nextbook 7s - Slooooooow - (Finless Bob ROM) - used for kids e-readers
    (2) Samsung Exhibits - kids
    Samsung Blaze, Kindle Fire, (2) PMID701c (Elektrik ROM) - all RIP
    ...some laptops, some PC's and some routers / switches

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    richardson texas
    Posts
    149
    Google certification for play services requires unroot. A rooted tablet you have to install play yourself. A play certified tablet you have to root yourself. Silly, isn't it?

  16. #16
    ROM Developers elektrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,572
    ugh. Polaroid strikes again. ok, someone point me to the links for this tablet and i'll modify the livesuit image to have google play and root.

    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Google certification for play services requires unroot. A rooted tablet you have to install play yourself. A play certified tablet you have to root yourself. Silly, isn't it?

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    29

    S7 Firmware

    Quote Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
    ugh. Polaroid strikes again. ok, someone point me to the links for this tablet and i'll modify the livesuit image to have google play and root.
    http://southerntelecom.com/s7/index.html

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    29

    S7 Firmware

    Quote Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
    ugh. Polaroid strikes again. ok, someone point me to the links for this tablet and i'll modify the livesuit image to have google play and root.
    Elecktrik,

    I am using Online Nandroid for backing up on the S7. The app developer had the following question:

    "On 12/9/2013 9:35 AM, Ameer Dawood wrote:

    Information about your device is rare on the internet. Would you be able to direct me to a place where I can obtain information about partition layout for that device? A scatter file, PIT file, a link to any github repos for your device, or recovery.fstab from recovery ramdisk would be just fine."


    Is this something you can help me with? Thank you.

  19. #19
    ROM Developers elektrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,572
    Possibly. There is a .fex file that's extracted when I unpack the image that should have the info he needs.

    When I download the image, I'll (try to) remember to email that info to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimwallcft View Post
    Elecktrik,

    I am using Online Nandroid for backing up on the S7. The app developer had the following question:

    "On 12/9/2013 9:35 AM, Ameer Dawood wrote:
    Information about your device is rare on the internet. Would you be able to direct me to a place where I can obtain information about partition layout for that device? A scatter file, PIT file, a link to any github repos for your device, or recovery.fstab from recovery ramdisk would be just fine."


    Is this something you can help me with? Thank you.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    29

    S7 Firmware

    As a temporary fix until Elektrik works his magic, as explained at the beginning post, SnapPea will allow access using the RSA Security required on 4.2.2. After using Impactor to push "su" on the tablet, you can reset the tablet and it will wipe the Impactor program off the tablet and still retain "su" with permissions and partial root. Trying to use ADB and the root command results in the following message:

    adb cannot run as root in production builds

    To gain full ADB root access install, ADB Insecure from Chainfire. It is available free or for purchase on Google Play. It can be optionally loaded at boot.

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1687590

    Thank you, Chainfire!

    Quote Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
    ugh. Polaroid strikes again. ok, someone point me to the links for this tablet and i'll modify the livesuit image to have google play and root.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •