Ongoing Christmas - Flash Deals Everyday! Up To 90% Off at GeekBuying.com!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Nextbook - Next7HD8G aka NX007HD8G - Root and Romdump Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by shaunmt View Post
    It will be the same format as I posted for the other models, a modified recovery, a non-root stock rom, and a root patch that can be flashed by itself.

ShaunMT
    Awesome!!! Thanks

Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

Modified Recovery Won't Install

The recovery screen is titled "Android system recovery <3e>". (I think this is normal.) I select EXT, sdcard, and the mod recovery package. The display shows:

-- Install /sdcard ...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installation aborted.

The robot falls over on his back with a red triangle with a black exclamation point on his chest.

I assume my tablet isn't accepting the package signing, but have no clue why that might be the case. I downloaded the file again in case my first try was corrupted, but no change.

What else can I try?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim K View Post
    The recovery screen is titled "Android system recovery <3e>". (I think this is normal.) I select EXT, sdcard, and the mod recovery package. The display shows:

-- Install /sdcard ...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installation aborted.

The robot falls over on his back with a red triangle with a black exclamation point on his chest.

I assume my tablet isn't accepting the package signing, but have no clue why that might be the case. I downloaded the file again in case my first try was corrupted, but no change.

What else can I try?

Thanks.
    Yes, the modified recovery says "Android system recovery <3e>" just like the stock recovery, but you DO NOT flash the modified recovery, you just unzip it and place the uImage_recovery file on the top level of your external SD card. With it placed on your external SD card, the tablet will automatically use it instead of the stock internal recovery when you hold volume and power to boot to recovery.

Then if you try to flash the ROM or the Root patch, it won't fail the signature verification anymore.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Won't boot to modified recovery

"If all else fails, read the directions!" I used to tell my kids that. Anyway, I tried it the way I was supposed to, and it won't boot to the mod recovery. The tablet freezes at the first boot image. Did I also miss something about the sd card format? I did a full format in Windows 7 to FAT32 with 4096B allocation unit, put nothing but the mod recovery image on the card, and tried to boot it. No luck. It did boot to stock recovery with the blank sd card installed. During boot (normal or stock recovery) there's a subtle change in screen brightness a few seconds after the image first comes up. With the mod recovery on the sd card, the image stays at the initial brightness level. That tells me it's freezing very early in the process. Earlier in this thread, Jeremey989 was also unable to boot to the mod recovery, but he had other issues as well. I can still do a normal boot, but with the half black screen.

"If all else fails, read the directions!" I used to tell my kids that. Anyway, I tried it the way I was supposed to, and it won't boot to the mod recovery. The tablet freezes at the first boot image. Did I also miss something about the sd card format? I did a full format in Windows 7 to FAT32 with 4096B allocation unit, put nothing but the mod recovery image on the card, and tried to boot it. No luck. It did boot to stock recovery with the blank sd card installed. During boot (normal or stock recovery) there's a subtle change in screen brightness a few seconds after the image first comes up. With the mod recovery on the sd card, the image stays at the initial brightness level. That tells me it's freezing very early in the process. Earlier in this thread, Jeremey989 was also unable to boot to the mod recovery, but he had other issues as well. I can still do a normal boot, but with the half black screen.
    Your card should be formatted ok as is. Can you access your external SD card from within Android?

Not sure why it won't boot to the modified recovery. Unfortunately, I can't do much troubleshooting without the tablet.

It sounds like there might be a problem with the kernel. What is the kernel version reported under About This Tablet in Settings?

I don't know what Jeremey989 was using, but it wasn't my recovery for the Next7HD8G, because I just posted it this week.
    Freaktab Rom Developer

The kernel no. is 3.0.8 and the build is JRO03C.v008
    The SD card works fine both read and write in my desktop PC (in an adapter) and in a tablet that's a twin of the one that's giving me trouble. I can't be absolutely sure it works in the problem tablet because I can't see enough of the display to operate the software after a normal boot.

i had flashed the wrong rom and hard bricked my tablet

The kernel no. is 3.0.8 and the build is JRO03C.v008
    The SD card works fine both read and write in my desktop PC (in an adapter) and in a tablet that's a twin of the one that's giving me trouble. I can't be absolutely sure it works in the problem tablet because I can't see enough of the display to operate the software after a normal boot.
    Jim, am I correct that you previously flashed a ROM that was not compatible with your tablet?
    Freaktab Rom Developer

No, I never flashed anything; that was Jeremey that said he flashed the wrong ROM. I made the mistake of directly modifying some files in the system folder rather than flashing changes.

I just put the sd card in the working twin to my problem tablet and tried to boot it to the mod recovery. It behaves exactly the same way. No shift in display brightness, and locks up on the boot screen. So there must be a fault in the recovery package.

Could it be the archive process? Is it safe to assume it was archived in an uncompressed format? I used WinRAR to unpack it, and the file size was the same as the zip file (3859KB).

No, I never flashed anything; that was Jeremey that said he flashed the wrong ROM. I made the mistake of directly modifying some files in the system folder rather than flashing changes.

I just put the sd card in the working twin to my problem tablet and tried to boot it to the mod recovery. It behaves exactly the same way. No shift in display brightness, and locks up on the boot screen. So there must be a fault in the recovery package.

Could it be the archive process? Is it safe to assume it was archived in an uncompressed format? I used WinRAR to unpack it, and the file size was the same as the zip file (3859KB).
    It is an uncompressed zip archive. Assuming, you unzipped the modified recovery and put just uImage_recovery on the external SD card, along with the still zipped up ROM and/or root package, the problem is going to be related to kernel compatibility, the recovery ramdisk, or the way they were packaged to create the uImage_recovery image.

I'll see if I can boot the recovery image for your tablet on my Next8HD8G when I get a chance. The hardware is similar enough that it should boot, although I may not get any screen display due to the screen size difference. If that's the case, I can write a script to test if the recovery is actually running.
    Freaktab Rom Developer

After my false start, I'm sure I've set up the card correctly.

FYI the 7 inch model's display is 1024x600 pixels and the 8 inch is 1024x768. Don't know if that's useful info.

I really appreciate your time and trouble.

After my false start, I'm sure I've set up the card correctly.

FYI the 7 inch model's display is 1024x600 pixels and the 8 inch is 1024x768. Don't know if that's useful info.

I really appreciate your time and trouble.
    FYI. The modified recovery won't boot on my Next8HD8G either... it fails and falls back to the stock internal recovery instead. I'll have to work on it and post a revised version. The good news is I should be able to test the recovery on my tablet.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

I'm absolutely certain that I downloaded the mod recovery package from the same page as the ROM file, but I just noticed I had the Next7P12 recovery file instead. I downloaded it again from the same link, and this time got the NX007 package. Now I can boot to recovery, but it must be to stock (just like your NX008) since the ROM install aborts during verification. I don't see any indication that the sdcard recovery failed; it just comes up on the recovery page the same as without the sdcard. The progress bar gets to about 1/2 inch long during verification before the install aborts. Just to confirm, the file I have now is 4,178,878 bytes, dated Nov 10, 2013.

amlogic burning tool

i tried using the stock rom int the usb burning tool. no luck there. does anyone know a way of converting it to an upgrade zip

I'm absolutely certain that I downloaded the mod recovery package from the same page as the ROM file, but I just noticed I had the Next7P12 recovery file instead. I downloaded it again from the same link, and this time got the NX007 package. Now I can boot to recovery, but it must be to stock (just like your NX008) since the ROM install aborts during verification. I don't see any indication that the sdcard recovery failed; it just comes up on the recovery page the same as without the sdcard. The progress bar gets to about 1/2 inch long during verification before the install aborts. Just to confirm, the file I have now is 4,178,878 bytes, dated Nov 10, 2013.
    Sounds like the same thing I found. I haven't had time to do any further testing yet.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Quote Originally Posted by jeremey989 View Post
    i tried using the stock rom int the usb burning tool. no luck there. does anyone know a way of converting it to an upgrade zip
    I don't know anyone who has had any luck with the amlogic usb burning tool, expect maybe a few of the ainol guys over at slatedroid. Everyone else who has tried to use it has only bricked their tablets.

If I had to guess, whatever ROM was included in the download with it is not for a Nextbook. It is most likely for an Ainol tablet. I haven't been able to get any of the ainol ROMs to work on Nextbooks.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Can anyone list the exact specs of this tablet ?

Im trying to buy one off of newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834106007

Doesnt list bluetooth and on the picture it shows it being nx007hd on the back. And nx7000hd on the user manual.

Says it has a resolution of 1024 x 600 but owners manual states 800 x 600 ..

who has some truth ? Can this be updated to latest 4.2 android as listed on Yifang digital website ?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZilla View Post
    Can anyone list the exact specs of this tablet ?

Im trying to buy one off of newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834106007

Doesnt list bluetooth and on the picture it shows it being nx007hd on the back. And nx7000hd on the user manual.

Says it has a resolution of 1024 x 600 but owners manual states 800 x 600 ..

who has some truth ? Can this be updated to latest 4.2 android as listed on Yifang digital website ?
    I'm pretty sure this model doesn't have bluetooth. The 8 inch version doesn't.

The 8 inch version is 1024 x 720. Not sure if the 7 inch is the same.

eFun / Nextbook is horrible about changing hardware and inaccurately updating packaging and manuals or not updating them at all.

eFun / Nextbook hasn't provided updates for any tablets in over a year. I wouldn't count on ever seeing another one and definitely not an android version update. This is true of most of the other budget tablet vendors also. They buy the same cheap tablet models from Yifang Digital, slop together a ROM and ship them out then don't offer any support or updates. They basically assume you'll pass the tablet to your kid and upgrade to a newer model with a newer system version on it.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

The specs on the newegg website match my NX007HD8G. The screen is 1024 x 600. It does NOT have either bluetooth or GPS. The documentation doesn't mention it either way, but it does support USB host with an adapter (at least my wireless mouse and a flash drive work). I couldn't find this model on the Yifang website. The Nextbookusa website says it won't charge through the USB port, but it really will, just very slowly; 500 ma from USB vs 2 amps from the AC wall charger.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast