Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pipo M9 - a couple of issues

Question Pipo M9 - a couple of issues

Hi all. I have a couple of issues with my new tablet. The first is lack of build prop support, and the second is a Widi support issue.

Regarding the build prop issue, when trying to use build prop scripts for tweaking, once the device reboots nothing is remembered - the tweaks diappear. I have been trying to implement tweaks with the beta version of Pimp My ROM - unsuccessfully with this device - it shows that there is no build prop support on this device.

The second issue: I want to be able to use wireless screen connection (Widi) of my Pipo with my LG Smart TV. I get as far as the devices recognizing one another then connecting, but as soon as I change screens on the TV the connection is broken This is really frustrating, as I would really like to go totally wireless, especially when using XMBC or Nova-x on the tablet. I suppose the real issue is that this is neither covered by the LG nor Pipo user manuals, and my googling so far hss been unsuccessful.

Any support appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Pipo M9 - a couple of issues

Are you using the Stock ROM or one of my RileyROMS?

Pimp my ROM works for me.

The latest firmware uses the new SDK from Rockchip. They might have ironed out those issues.

Randy
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Thanks, for your continued support. Funds are low right now for new projects, so your help is greatly appreciated.
    Donate here

No, I am using one of Hejira's ROMs, as that worked out to be the easiest to flash, but now I have CWM recovery up and running I can flash directly from recovery, so there should be no problem?
    I am experiencing other issues too, such as not being able to use USB devices - they are not recognized, and the issue with Widi between my M9 and my LG smart TV - as soon as I change out of the configuration page in the LG, the connection is lost.
    Could one of your ROMs help resolve these issues? Is it very different from Hejira's ROM, would I have to wipe everything to flash your ROM?

Quote Originally Posted by rrileypm View Post
    Are you using the Stock ROM or one of my RileyROMS?

Pimp my ROM works for me.

The latest firmware uses the new SDK from Rockchip. They might have ironed out those issues.

Randy

You should always "wipe out" when flashing a new rom, unless specificly instructed not to.

I have not heard of this rom before. What pipo release is it based on? kernel builds , version, dates... The newest roms from pipo are sdk 2.0 builds. Latest RileyROMs are mods of said roms. I know the m8pro had some small issues with their Miracast", wich they say was fixed (and remarkantly improved further) in the newest rom. I would expect this to be the case with the newest m9 rom, too. What is altered, added and/or removed in the RileyROMs - can be seen in 1st post of each ROM thread - along with wich pipo rom was the base for it.

What kind of USB device,are you trying to connect? Most "advanced" units will require its own ko driver build specifically designed for both the tablet and usb device. Not exactly plug'n play..

RileyROMs must be flashed by cable. But if you already have the RK3188 drivers installed, its the hard part is over. All RileyROMs include all necessary tools and step-by-step instructions.
    Support your local flasher
    Current devices : Pipo MAX M8 Pro - Samsung Galaxy S4 - Intel NUC

Pipo M9 - a couple of issues

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Randy
    Randy
    Read my BIO Here
    Thanks, for your continued support. Funds are low right now for new projects, so your help is greatly appreciated.
    Donate here

I have attached a screenshot with all the informstion about this ROM from 'about' in settings. This is where I downloaded the ROM: http://vitha.forumotion.com/t111-pip...-multi-user-v2. There is little information about the ROM itself on the webpage. Once you check out the screenshot, please let me know if you see any issues with the build version of this ROM that might be addressed by flashing the latest Riley ROM

I was trying to connect a USB hard drive and then a Coolbox USB hub which also doubles as a multi-card reader. The M9 just said 'insert SD card'. Pretty useless. The most important for me is to be able to connect my USB HD.
    I tried writing to Abby at Pipo, but I don't think she understands what I am asking. This is the reply I received:
    Hi,
    I'm sorry about all inconvenience cause
    1. You can only connect flash drive, mouse, keyboard, 3G dongle and ethernet
    cable to the tablet via OTG cable.
    2. If the tablets could receive wifi and works well, you probably should
    check the TV.
    Thanks & Best regards
    Abby

I just used Google translate to try and write in simplified Chinese...I was actually asking for an English translation of the Widi instructions from the Pipo M9 manual - if they exist. All I know is that in the drop down menu at the top right of the screen there is an option page to connect a wireless display. That is what I am trying to achieve - connecting the display from the tablet to my LG smart TV - not exactly rocket science, but once paired if I leave the configuration/setup page either on the tablet or on the smart TV the connection is broken. All I need is a guide to explain the process. I also wanted to connect to my laptops, but that is more problematic, as there is a problem of device support for this Intel service. But in the case of the LG smart TV both devices recognize each other fine, so if I knew what to do next it should work. There is no problem when connecting via the hdmi cable, so I would imagine that it would be the same via the wireless display?

Yes, I have all the drivers installed, but now I have CWM recovery working, it makes little sense to me to have to go through the process of flashing another similar ROM with the RK tools. I do want to flash a different kernel, especially when an OC kernel becomes available, based on the latest RK SDK which should open the true potential of these tablets. But I don't know when that will happen...

Quote Originally Posted by pr0xZen View Post
    You should always "wipe out" when flashing a new rom, unless specificly instructed not to.

I have not heard of this rom before. What pipo release is it based on? kernel builds , version, dates... The newest roms from pipo are sdk 2.0 builds. Latest RileyROMs are mods of said roms. I know the m8pro had some small issues with their Miracast", wich they say was fixed (and remarkantly improved further) in the newest rom. I would expect this to be the case with the newest m9 rom, too. What is altered, added and/or removed in the RileyROMs - can be seen in 1st post of each ROM thread - along with wich pipo rom was the base for it.

What kind of USB device,are you trying to connect? Most "advanced" units will require its own ko driver build specifically designed for both the tablet and usb device. Not exactly plug'n play..

RileyROMs must be flashed by cable. But if you already have the RK3188 drivers installed, its the hard part is over. All RileyROMs include all necessary tools and step-by-step instructions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-07-08-12-26-11.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	2613  

The CWM for this tablet isn't fully developed yet - they're still working out the kinks. This is one of the reasons all the RileyROM packages are designed to be flashed by RK Android Tool. There are too many uncertain variables still, and flashing roms has to be an exact science

So while you're free to attempt flashing these roms with CWM, we REALLY suggest you do not. If you do, you're pretty much on your own.

Looking at the build info from your screenshot; This is an old rom. It well predates the RK3188 SDK 2.0. MUCH has been improved over atleast 3 updates, since your build, including Miracast (wireless display). I don't have a capable tv or connection module, so I can't really help much more on this atm.

As for the USB issue, I don't know how the tablet handles the multifunction USB hub. What I do know, is that on my M8pro with the latest rom off the SDK 2.0, I have no problem connecting to my externally powered USB harddrives. Both read fine, NTFS and FAT32. I have connected them directly through the OTG adapter though, not trough a hub. I actually don't have one

I suggest you try the latest RileyROM for your tablet. And, flash it the way it was built to be flashed; With RK Android Tool.

OK, thank you pr0xZen, that is what I needed to know, this is difficult information to find, so I am really grateful to you. I'll try what you suggest, but which is your most up to date ROM for my v2 (no 3G)? Will I need to also re-flash CWM recovery?

Hopefully that should solve at least some of the problems I have been experiencing...

The CWM for this tablet isn't fully developed yet - they're still working out the kinks. This is one of the reasons all the RileyROM packages are designed to be flashed by RK Android Tool. There are too many uncertain variables still, and flashing roms has to be an exact science

So while you're free to attempt flashing these roms with CWM, we REALLY suggest you do not. If you do, you're pretty much on your own.

Looking at the build info from your screenshot; This is an old rom. It well predates the RK3188 SDK 2.0. MUCH has been improved over atleast 3 updates, since your build, including Miracast (wireless display). I don't have a capable tv or connection module, so I can't really help much more on this atm.

As for the USB issue, I don't know how the tablet handles the multifunction USB hub. What I do know, is that on my M8pro with the latest rom off the SDK 2.0, I have no problem connecting to my externally powered USB harddrives. Both read fine, NTFS and FAT32. I have connected them directly through the OTG adapter though, not trough a hub. I actually don't have one

I suggest you try the latest RileyROM for your tablet. And, flash it the way it was built to be flashed; With RK Android Tool.

Quote Originally Posted by DSCB57 View Post
    OK, thank you pr0xZen, that is what I needed to know, this is difficult information to find, so I am really grateful to you. I'll try what you suggest, but which is your most up to date ROM for my v2 (no 3G)? Will I need to also re-flash CWM recovery?

Hopefully that should solve at least some of the problems I have been experiencing...
    Latest ROM out for the NON-3G M9, is RileyROM 1.6. There is 1.7, but so far only for 3G-tablets. You can try it if you want ofcourse - if you read the ROM thread, you'll see some have tried it and it does work. But I suggest you stick to the 1.6, wich is designed for your tablet. New ROM for the NON-3G is on its way, "working on it" says Pipo.

If you want to keep CWM, you really should flash the CWM recovery that is included in the RileyROM package. Flash everything on the RK Android Tool list, except for "Loader" (wich is de-selected by default"). There's a README.TXT i the download - I suggest you give it a readthrough

Thank you, I just read through the entire thread just before you replied - I was pretty much decided to flash 1.6 too, except that my version has none of the flickering screen issues mentioned on this thread - that is what made me think twice about flashing these ROMs. I want to be sure of being able to restore my apps from the CWM recovery image though, as I don't want to have to go through the tedium of having to reinstall everything yet again - especially apps like XBMC, which means having to reinstall all the custom repositories and plugins...such a loss of time and energy!

Latest ROM out for the NON-3G M9, is RileyROM 1.6. There is 1.7, but so far only for 3G-tablets. You can try it if you want ofcourse - if you read the ROM thread, you'll see some have tried it and it does work. But I suggest you stick to the 1.6, wich is designed for your tablet. New ROM for the NON-3G is on its way, "working on it" says Pipo.

If you want to keep CWM, you really should flash the CWM recovery that is included in the RileyROM package. Flash everything on the RK Android Tool list, except for "Loader" (wich is de-selected by default"). There's a README.TXT i the download - I suggest you give it a readthrough

Thank you, I just read through the entire thread just before you replied - I was pretty much decided to flash 1.6 too, except that my version has none of the flickering screen issues mentioned on this thread - that is what made me think twice about flashing these ROMs. I want to be sure of being able to restore my apps from the CWM recovery image though, as I don't want to have to go through the tedium of having to reinstall everything yet again - especially apps like XBMC, which means having to reinstall all the custom repositories and plugins...such a loss of time and energy!
    I understand what you're suggesting. I have little experience with "advanced restore" functions from CWM, but I wouldn't rely too much on them in this case - as CWM for this tablet isn't fully developed yet. By rrileypm's reccommendment, I've gone over to using Titanium Backup for backing up/restoring apps (though I still use CWM for complete nandroid backups). With each release, both cwm and the rom changes. If CWM changes aren't "in tune" with the ROM changes, chances are that a selective restore might end up with more than just a defunct app ^^ - And expect much to have changed, code-wise - in the ROMs developed on the SDK 2.0.

Titanium Backup doesn't need to work on "CWM level", so it and its backups are unaffected by any changes to CWM releases.

Red face

I did as you suggested, but I wish I hadn't because now after flashing the 1.6 ROM and wiping the cache partition in CWM the device booted into two Rileyrom screens but never finished loading the OS. Now I am unable to get into download mode or recovery, and connecting the USB lead to the laptop has no effect - I tried just about everything, but it always boots back into the RILEYROM screen and just remains like that...
    I tried disconnecting the power adaptor, USB cable, using the power and esc keys together, the esc then reset button - nothing works, it just reboots to the same state every time. The first screen shows the Riley shield, then it boots into the RILEYROM screen with the Android surrounded by globes.

I hope you or someone will be able to help me please. I backed everything up both with Titanium Backup and CWM recovery, but if I cannot access the flash mode it is no use to me. The worst thing is that those backups contain sensitive information, and if I had to return the tablet to the seller, that would put me at risk!
    I understand that there is a risk involved in flashing ROMs, but if there is any possibility of recovering my tablet I would really appreciate your support!

Thank you...

I understand what you're suggesting. I have little experience with "advanced restore" functions from CWM, but I wouldn't rely too much on them in this case - as CWM for this tablet isn't fully developed yet. By rrileypm's reccommendment, I've gone over to using Titanium Backup for backing up/restoring apps (though I still use CWM for complete nandroid backups). With each release, both cwm and the rom changes. If CWM changes aren't "in tune" with the ROM changes, chances are that a selective restore might end up with more than just a defunct app ^^ - And expect much to have changed, code-wise - in the ROMs developed on the SDK 2.0.

Titanium Backup doesn't need to work on "CWM level", so it and its backups are unaffected by any changes to CWM releases.
    Last edited by DSCB57; 07-08-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: error

I did as you suggested, but I wish I hadn't because now after flashing the 1.6 ROM and wiping the cache partition in CWM the device booted into two Rileyrom screens but never finished loading the OS. Now I am unable to get into download mode or recovery, and connecting the USB lead to the laptop has no effect - I tried just about everything, but it always boots back into the RILEYROM screen and just remains like that...
    I tried disconnecting the power adaptor, USB cable, using the power and esc keys together, the esc then reset button - nothing works, it just reboots to the same state every time. The first screen shows the Riley shield, then it boots into the RILEYROM screen with the Android surrounded by globes.

I hope you or someone will be able to help me please. I backed everything up both with Titanium Backup and CWM recovery, but if I cannot access the flash mode it is no use to me. The worst thing is that those backups contain sensitive information, and if I had to return the tablet to the seller, that would put me at risk!
    I understand that there is a risk involved in flashing ROMs, but if there is any possibility of recovering my tablet I would really appreciate your support!

Thank you...
    If the folder with the .IMG files is named RileyROM, rename the folder to ROM.

Ok, 3 suggestions in order (please follow them "to the letter", don't skimp on any part).
    First: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post76378

2nd, as in the Readme (its a bit tricky, might not get it the first time).

Connect via USB to your PC
    Start the Flash app on your PC
    Press and hold the ESC button for 5 seconds
    While holding the ESC button put a paperclip in the reset hole and press and hold it for 5 seconds.
    While still holding the Esc button and the Reset button, press the power button and hold.
    You will see the flash tool recognize your device in loader mode.
    Release the ESC key
    Release the Reset button
    Keep holding the power button with your thumb (if you let go, it will go out of loader mode and you will have to start over).
    Click Erase IDB, let it finish
    Click Flash ROM, keep holding the power button until it is done flashing the ROM.
    Disconnect from the PC and press the power button again until the device powers up.

If this doesn't work, and you can force a shutdown, boot into recovery with volume_up+power - then attemtp what this guy did: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post76355

[First of all - always take out your SD card if you don't NEED to read/write to it in CWM.]

In CWM, go to Mounts & Storage - then format: System, data, cache and sdcard. Then, flash a stock rom with RK Batch Tool, using "Restore" button, not "Upgrade". after you're done with that, you can proceed to flash a RileyROM or other mod, by any included instructions.

I'm curious as to why his tablet is boot looping on 1.6. Have you tried 1.5 or 1.7? I haven't heard of any failures with 1.6.
    Randy
    Read my BIO Here
    Donate here

I'm curious as to why his tablet is boot looping on 1.6. Have you tried 1.5 or 1.7? I haven't heard of any failures with 1.6.
    Who are you asking? I've on the M8pro - no 1.7 to be had yet. He's stuck at boot loop and at get it recognized :S

I'm a bit more curious as to why this, once in a while - happens - even though according to the users - all followed the directions, and none had any indication of error during the flashing. If you eraseIDB - is it really empty? If so - should be a clean slate? The programs first upload the images, then checks them again. If there is no errors during flash, and the instructed procedure was followed equally... shouldn't either all or none of the flashes fail?

About the "clear cache partition" in CWM. What if you go with stock recovery..?

well my don't like not only yours but not custom ROM at all.
    i just try yesterday your 1.7 and other several custom ROM, and for some reason. the tablet got in to boot loop.
    right now on latest stock ROM (from pipo) rooted. and can no be more satisfied with the table.

note.i don't know but i am pretty sure that i am doing something wrong during the flash process but can not figure out what it is.

Originally Posted by pr0xZen
    While holding the ESC button put a paperclip in the reset hole and press and hold it for 5 seconds.
    While still holding the Esc button and the Reset button, press the power button and hold.
    Release the ESC key
    Release the Reset button
    Keep holding the power button with your thumb (if you let go, it will go out of loader mode and you will have to start over).
    Click Flash ROM, keep holding the power button until it is done flashing the ROM.
    Disconnect from the PC and press the power button again until the device powers up.
    is this the right procedure to flash ours tables.

It is specifically for the M8Pro...but the two tabs are similar...it's worth a shot.

If that didn't work, we will have to find the procedure for the M9.
    Randy
    Read my BIO Here
    Donate here

If he already has a working stock ROM on it, that procedure should not be necessary. If he flashed a stock rom, he obviously has the drivers installed.

Flash a stock Pipo rom with RKBatchTool, using the "Restore" button instead of the "Upgrade" button. If I understand correctly, this wipes it clean before the flash procedure.

After that "Upgrade" of stock firmware is completed, it shouldn't be any trouble flashing a RileyROM, following the normal instructions

[@hidroela : First - Flash a stock pipo firmware/rom with RKBatchTool, follow the original instructions, BUT!! - use the "Restore" button to perform flash, NOT the "Upgrade" button. Then - Download RileyROM and unpack it. If the subfolder with the rom files is named RileyROM, rename it to Rom. Connect tablet without external SDcard in, powered on and USB Debugging off. Open RKAndroidTool.exe Click "Reboot2Flash" and wait for it to be found again (shouldn't take more than 10 seconds) "Erase IDB", see that it doesn't stop before reaching either 4096 or 16384. When that is finished, click "Flash ROM" - and keep an eye on the status, see that it doesn't show any indication of errors. If it does - post them exactly as is, here. If all goes well, the tablet might boot into CWM recovery first. If it does, select "Wipe Cache Partition" and confirm. Then reboot. If you get a warning when clicking reboot, select "Back". It should reboot anyway. Next reboot might take a while, but no more than 10 minutes. Just let it sit and do its thing]

Let me know if that works out or not.

Other users reading this - READ THE README! These are specific instructions for a specific case, not standard flashing instructions!
    Last edited by pr0xZen; 07-08-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Talking

Phew! I managed to get it sorted out. In fact my intuition led me to try precisely what you suggested - before I received your reply though, lol...These tablets are a real PITA to switch modes on, especially since there is no volume up/down button.

Once I managed to get into download (flashing) mode, (which was the most difficult part), I flashed all the contents of the Rileyrom 1.6. Then once it rebooted into recovery mode I decided to see what would happen if I rebooted without wiping the cache. It worked! Like the poster below, I figured that if the wipe IDB did a low level format of the system and internal SD card, then why should it be also necessary to wipe the cache?
    This time, after the first two screens which I could not pass before, I was greeted by the Rileyrom boot screen (Kudos for the Hitech graphicsbut why is the lock screen not incorporated into this - there are three screens before you get to the lock screen - why?), then I was able to enter the OS and start to configure the settings. I then rebooted into CWM recovery and made a backup of all the basics, (avoiding the temptation to restore everything first).
    Then I reinstalled Titanium backup pro and Nandroid backup - and here is a pleasant surprise for you - using Nandroid manager I was able to extract just my apps and settings from my previous Nandroid backup (a full backup I made of my previous entire setup before flashing this ROM. And it worked, aside from a few apps which I restored using Titanium backup. That did not restore all my settings, specifically my Nova launcher settings, so I again used Titanium backup, but this time I used it to extract a backup from the same Nandroid backup, then selected all the apps whose settings I wanted to restore, and selected 'restore settings only'. The result was that all my browser bookmarks, passwords, history, Nova launcher and wallpaper settings, Hacker's keyboard configuration...everything was restored!!! So many hours of work saved, and it would have never been the same...I had to go through this process so many times with my smartphone, sometimes literally at the point of either tearing my hair out or chucking the smartphone out of the window!

So a big thank you to pr0xZen and Randy and everyone who has contributed - thank you all for your support , and I look forward to the next release. BTW, someone requested that Randy cook a Paranoid android port for the Pipo M9 - my personal preference would be a port of the PAC ROM, as that gives the best of both worlds and is far better than Cyanogenmod ROMs because it is so versatile, both for overclocking and for tweaking and personalizing just about everything imaginable. I miss it, even though I was using it on a long outdated and underpowered little Samsung smartphone - but the potential was there.

If the folder with the .IMG files is named RileyROM, rename the folder to ROM.

Ok, 3 suggestions in order (please follow them "to the letter", don't skimp on any part).
    First: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post76378

2nd, as in the Readme (its a bit tricky, might not get it the first time).

Release the ESC key
    Release the Reset button

If this doesn't work, and you can force a shutdown, boot into recovery with volume_up+power - then attemtp what this guy did: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post76355

[First of all - always take out your SD card if you don't NEED to read/write to it in CWM.]

In CWM, go to Mounts & Storage - then format: System, data, cache and sdcard. Then, flash a stock rom with RK Batch Tool, using "Restore" button, not "Upgrade". after you're done with that, you can proceed to flash a RileyROM or other mod, by any included instructions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast