Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual Core Polaroid PMID720 at BigLots

pmid720

ok just got it

Quote Originally Posted by avgary View Post
    Never got any ads so maybe you downloaded something?

Finally got true root and not just the # in adb. I used Chainsdd 3.1.1 ARM superuser.zip to get su and superuser.apk. I downloaded the newest busybox.apk and put it in the same folder as the others.

Then I used adb and this website's instructions.
    http://www.pocketables.com/2011/06/h...id-device.html

I think my first problem was that I got the ARM and x86 vesions of superuser mixed up.

Titanium back up works and superuser asks for permission. Seems like the cpu can't be underclocked to conserve battery power, sadly

Google Market works. Still no recovery rom on southern site.

Ran everything again with su v3 (renamed).. all ran ok except again Superuser.apk would not push "file exists" superuser will cannot get root access, will not update.. so o oo back to the drawing board..

good news is.... not bricked !!!

Use adb shell to rename su, superuser and even busybox to ".old"

Quote Originally Posted by kevanfl1234 View Post
    Ran everything again with su v3 (renamed).. all ran ok except again Superuser.apk would not push "file exists" superuser will cannot get root access, will not update.. so o oo back to the drawing board..

good news is.... not bricked !!!
    adb shell mv /dir/oldfile /dir/newfile to change files to ".old" - it may work even if you are not rooted. It seemed to work for me. Perhaps the files are half-rooted allowing me to rename them. Some tablet programs said the tablet was rooted but "important" programs like Titanium backup said it was not.

Then try to use only chainsdd files from his superuser.zip.

I pointed you to that website to show you how to set up and PUSH only su, superuser and busybox and use the website's formatting for using adb. I think I tried to find su v3 and that didn't work for me either but after a few more attempts just properly inputting those three files gained me the root access.

Lowering the monitor brightness 2 stops from top and turning off the wifi gave a little more battery life. Antutu battery check went from a value of 430 to 486. The battery test runs with the CPU at 100% so that doesn't really check actual use, fwiw.

Good luck.

pmid720

Thanks again avgary

now the trouble starts I am ROOTED

I did rename the file.. but it again failed to install so it said.. so I renamed it back and booted. I was afraid to boot with changing a bin file name not knowing if it was rooted.

As it turned out everything that needed root ... got it..!

I doubt there will be a ROM made.. but sure would like to figure out a recovery. livesuit app looks a bit hokie to me. I appears this the pmid720 uses an IMG file I think.

thanks again avgary.. be looking for a ROM and will post if lucky enough to find.

l

pmid720

I am so pissed at this Company ............ !
    R
    Customer Service
    Reference number: LTK11177077849X Please use this ticket number in any corres...
    May 28 (7 days ago)
    kevan flanagan <kevanfl2@gmail.com>
    11:21 AM (1 minute ago)
    I am a bit concerned that this model pmid720 is not listed on the Polaroid site as one of their tablets. How can a "Polaroid" product be sold and not represented on the official "Polaroid" website. With the lack of any support firmware, at the 'southerntelcom' site, the only indication that this tablet exists is the user manual pdf. Is there some disconnect here? Was I miss-led here thinking I was purchasing a quality product that is being dropped or unsupported by its distributor ?? How can you release a product without showing it on your official website. Are you using the public to test an alpha product ?? Is this normal procedure ?? Are you a responsible distributor ? I am really disappointed and discouraged. I had owned a Polaroid LCD TV and was very pleased with it. But now I wonder with such an iconic name is this a reputable Company ?

signed,

discouraged

Quote Originally Posted by avgary View Post
    adb shell mv /dir/oldfile /dir/newfile to change files to ".old" - it may work even if you are not rooted. It seemed to work for me. Perhaps the files are half-rooted allowing me to rename them. Some tablet programs said the tablet was rooted but "important" programs like Titanium backup said it was not.

Then try to use only chainsdd files from his superuser.zip.

I pointed you to that website to show you how to set up and PUSH only su, superuser and busybox and use the website's formatting for using adb. I think I tried to find su v3 and that didn't work for me either but after a few more attempts just properly inputting those three files gained me the root access.

Lowering the monitor brightness 2 stops from top and turning off the wifi gave a little more battery life. Antutu battery check went from a value of 430 to 486. The battery test runs with the CPU at 100% so that doesn't really check actual use, fwiw.

Good luck.

I have a question on damage control after rooting. I see that your rooting method is better than using a utility. I used 3 utilities trying to root and get 'play'. Uberizer and SuperOneClick, and 'market enabler'. I am concerned about changes made to file systems esp regarding cpu and device name.

When I do adb shell cat /proc/cpuinfo I get this..

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
    processor : 0
    BogoMIPS : 238.82

processor : 1

Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3
    CPU implementer : 0x41
    CPU architecture: 7
    CPU variant : 0x3
    CPU part : 0xc09
    CPU revision : 0

Hardware : Amlogic Meson6 g24 customer platform
    Revision : 0020
    Serial :000000000000000c

I also see this in build.prop as well. I understood this to be a AM9 dual. I am curious how to correct this or at least a backup file.

The 'market enabler' was supposed to back up the original, but I either screwed up or it did not. It may have been 'siperoneclick' as well and I may have missed a backup procedure.

Also 'adb devices' lists as :

0123456789ABCDEF device

Looks generic to me .. is this a potential problem?
    I am sure it would be for an update rom but other wise?

appreciate any help

PMID 720 page from XDA devs

I have a question on damage control after rooting. I see that your rooting method is better than using a utility. I used 3 utilities trying to root and get 'play'. Uberizer and SuperOneClick, and 'market enabler'. I am concerned about changes made to file systems esp regarding cpu and device name.

When I do adb shell cat /proc/cpuinfo I get this..

Serial :000000000000000c

I also see this in build.prop as well. I understood this to be a AM9 dual. I am curious how to correct this or at least a backup file.

The 'market enabler' was supposed to back up the original, but I either screwed up or it did not. It may have been 'siperoneclick' as well and I may have missed a backup procedure.

Also 'adb devices' lists as :

0123456789ABCDEF device

Looks generic to me .. is this a potential problem?
    I am sure it would be for an update rom but other wise?

appreciate any help
    FWIW

Page from XDA devs:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...155&oldid=prev

ARMv7 is the instruction set that is used with different chips.

I have the same thing under device name and under cpuinfo - different BogoMIPS - cpu speed at test time?

C:\tablet\adt-windows-x86\sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    0123456789ABCDEF device

C:\tablet\adt-windows-x86\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell cat /proc/cpuinfo
    BogoMIPS : 95.53

BogoMIPS : 95.53

Serial : 000000000000000c

pmid720

thnx avgary .. feel relatively safe...

my latest with stc...

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us,

We are apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. But we request you wait for sometime because we are going to upload the Firmware Update very soon

If you have a question or issue regarding your tablet, please visit our website www southerntelecom.com , and under the “Product Support” section click on “Tablet Support Pages” , then click on your tablet brand. From here you can search our FAQ’s for help. If you still cannot find your answer, please either call our tablet support hotline at 1-877-768-8481.

Sincerely,
    Steve Martin
    Southern Telecom Tablet support.

---------------Original Message---------------

Subject: Re: Polaroid Tablet Support (LTK11177077849X)

I am a bit concerned that this model pmid720 is not listed on the Polaroid site as one of their tablets. How can a "Polaroid" product be sold and not represented on the official "Polaroid" website. With the lack of anyy support firmware, at the 'southerntelcom' site, the only indication that this tablet exists is the user manual pdf. Is there some disconnect here? Was I missled here thinking I was purchasing a quality product that is being dropped or unsupported by its distributor ?? How can you release a product without showing it on your official website. Are you using the public to test an alpha product ?? Is this normal procedure ?? Are you a responsible distributor ? I am really disappointed and discouraged. I had owned a Polaroid LCD TV and was very pleased with it. But now I wonder with such an iconic name is this a reputable Company ?

signed,
    discouraged

pmid720

should have used beta instead of alpha... ha..

thnx avgary .. feel relatively safe...

my latest with stc...

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us,

We are apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. But we request you wait for sometime because we are going to upload the Firmware Update very soon

If you have a question or issue regarding your tablet, please visit our website www southerntelecom.com , and under the “Product Support” section click on “Tablet Support Pages” , then click on your tablet brand. From here you can search our FAQ’s for help. If you still cannot find your answer, please either call our tablet support hotline at 1-877-768-8481.

Sincerely,
    Steve Martin
    Southern Telecom Tablet support.

---------------Original Message---------------

Subject: Re: Polaroid Tablet Support (LTK11177077849X)

I am a bit concerned that this model pmid720 is not listed on the Polaroid site as one of their tablets. How can a "Polaroid" product be sold and not represented on the official "Polaroid" website. With the lack of anyy support firmware, at the 'southerntelcom' site, the only indication that this tablet exists is the user manual pdf. Is there some disconnect here? Was I missled here thinking I was purchasing a quality product that is being dropped or unsupported by its distributor ?? How can you release a product without showing it on your official website. Are you using the public to test an alpha product ?? Is this normal procedure ?? Are you a responsible distributor ? I am really disappointed and discouraged. I had owned a Polaroid LCD TV and was very pleased with it. But now I wonder with such an iconic name is this a reputable Company ?

signed,
    discouraged

oh boy. Think I too have entered this abyss as well...Just bought the tablet at Big Lots for 99 skins and it's been nothing but problems...but, I am following this rooting conversation with great interest...lot to learn there. Thanks I'll update as soon as I hear from them. The email I sent them merely asked the question: "Why doesn't this device work with Google Play?" I've gotten three emails from them acknowledging registering the device and making a support request. Sounds pretty inconsistant and unprofessional so far.

Quote Originally Posted by cliftz View Post
    oh boy. Think I too have entered this abyss as well...Just bought the tablet at Big Lots for 99 skins and it's been nothing but problems...but, I am following this rooting conversation with great interest...lot to learn there. Thanks I'll update as soon as I hear from them. The email I sent them merely asked the question: "Why doesn't this device work with Google Play?" I've gotten three emails from them acknowledging registering the device and making a support request. Sounds pretty inconsistant and unprofessional so far.
    Hate to say this, but you got exactly what you deserved. If you don't know what you are doing then why are you screwing around with the tablet?.

If you know anything about Android Tablets, you damn well know why your's doesn't work with Google Play. Because it's *NOT* supported by Google Play.

Lord, I'm sick of guys like this screwing up the things they buy by installing unsupported hacks and then running around and blaming everyone but themseves for installing the unsuported hack.

Grow up will you? *YOU* are the one to blame for your problems with the tablet, *NO ONE ELSE*. Nobody told you to try and root and install Google Play on the damn tablet,moron.

Quote Originally Posted by c,lei View Post
    Hate to say this, but you got exactly what you deserved. If you don't know what you are doing then why are you screwing around with the tablet?.

If you know anything about Android Tablets, you damn well know why your's doesn't work with Google Play. Because it's *NOT* supported by Google Play.

Lord, I'm sick of guys like this screwing up the things they buy by installing unsupported hacks and then running around and blaming everyone but themseves for installing the unsuported hack.

Grow up will you? *YOU* are the one to blame for your problems with the tablet, *NO ONE ELSE*. Nobody told you to try and root and install Google Play on the damn tablet,moron.
    Thank you c,lei for your reply. I haven't tried to root the tablet. Through searching after I sent the letter I found out that JellyBean 4.1.1 doesn't work with Google Play. Because I don't know a lot about tablets, I came to this site for an education about them. At 57 years old, and knowing assembly/disassembly and some programming, I think I've grown up quite abit. Perhaps you will find it helpful if you take a breath from flamming me, and read what exactly I wrote instead of assuming and insulting me.

The problems I have with the tablet have nothing to do with anything I've done except turn it on.

Thank you for the warm if not off point welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by c,lei View Post

Friendly warning c,lei. I don't tolerate abuse of members by other members in this forum.

Welcome to the forum, cliftz. I believe, and if I'm wrong will surely be corrected, that jb 4.1 works just fine with google play.
    I don't think Google has a problem with it's programs being installed by users but for manufacturers to include them without certification would leave them liable when apps downloaded fail to work. A reason these tablets are cheap is because google isn't being paid to test all the apps on play for compatibility and limiting you to the ones known to work. Hang in there and I'm sure a hack will be forthcoming.

Peas out!

Matt, the reasoning is even more simple with Google than that-it comes down to $$. I heard if they don't include Google Play, they don't have to pay as much as tablets that do.

Quote Originally Posted by cliftz View Post
    Thank you c,lei for your reply. I haven't tried to root the tablet. Through searching after I sent the letter I found out that JellyBean 4.1.1 doesn't work with Google Play. Because I don't know a lot about tablets, I came to this site for an education about them. At 57 years old, and knowing assembly/disassembly and some programming, I think I've grown up quite abit. Perhaps you will find it helpful if you take a breath from flamming me, and read what exactly I wrote instead of assuming and insulting me.

The problems I have with the tablet have nothing to do with anything I've done except turn it on.

Thank you for the warm if not off point welcome.

If you just want google play without root, follow the instructions here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2301732 I made a minor contribution to the thread and it does work if all steps are followed. Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
    Matt, the reasoning is even more simple with Google than that-it comes down to $$. I heard if they don't include Google Play, they don't have to pay as much as tablets that do.
    I'm pretty sure Google would make more money if Play were on all tablets.A bigger market for their targeted advertisements,app sales etc. The certification payola is prob for compatibility testing.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    I'm pretty sure Google would make more money if Play were on all tablets.A bigger market for their targeted advertisements,app sales etc. The certification payola is prob for compatibility testing.
    I forgot the reason why for sure, nor do I remember where I read the article but I think it had something to do with licensing...

Quote Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
    I forgot the reason why for sure, nor do I remember where I read the article but I think it had something to do with licensing...
    Could be, could be. I'm just guessing without a definitive google statement. Licensing might imply patent trolls being paid off as well...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red_troll.gif 
Views:	46 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	2436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	main-troll.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	2437  

Google Play

I believe the reason Google has a problem with this tablet, and other tablets and phones like it, mostly has to do with the micro SD card slot. They won't authorize anything that has a SD card capability and they are working hard at crippling any function of an external SD drive that a device might have.

I think Google is afraid that having a SD card would make it too easy for people to share paid apps and causing them to end up loosing revenue in the long run. Also, they want to push more people to use their cloud service instead.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast