Hey folks.... Here is my 2nd custom ROM for a Quad Core TV stick.
Please note. I DID NOT USE the stock ROM for this. I used a generic 4.1.1 3188 Rockchip ROM for this as a base. The Stock ROM was just too buggy to use and try to fix!
Special thanks to FreakTab user: strauzo
For pointing me to this very fast generic ROM!
All the issues with frame skipping are gone! e.g. like Antutu and the frame skipping during graphics testing. I found the problem and how they implemented rotation lock is the reason for the frame skipping. This ROM has rotation enabled but I give you an APP to control it. See features below.
So this is a first release of this ROM with just some basic goodies.
Features and release notes for my 1.4 ROM:
1) Rooted and new SU and Superuser applied that supports Android 4.2.2
2) Stock ROM was only 1 Megs of APP space.
BUT you also have parameter file options!
There are also 2gb, 4gb and 6gb options.
Read below for how to change that in the flash tool.
Realize if you use this 6gb option, internal SDcard will only have about 600 megs of free space!
2) As always, full init.d support! If you do not know what that is... ignore it. For geeks that want to use it. It is there!
3) I enabled location services. This is now in the settings menu. Tested and working with all APPs that use it.
remember to turn off GPS as we have no GPS.
4) The stock ROM and this ROM does not have a built in "hide status bar"
It also allows screen rotation in APPs.
So I have added to APPs for you to use!
full!screen which is a cool APP that allows you to control hiding of the status bar.
Rotation Locker which will allow you to stop APPs from rotating the screen.
5) Build.prop edit to open up the Google Play store to APPs that normally say "not compatible".
I am spoofing a Samsung device that will show almost any APP as compatible.
Yuur device will show up in google play as Samsung device nopt a MK908 or RKSDK! Understand this please.
I also left the original buiild.prop in the ROM called build.orig.
If you want to go back, just use ES FIle Explorer or a root file explorer and rename build.prop to build.old
Then rename build.orig to build.prop.
Go into settings, apps, all and go into the Google Play app. Clear the cache and data.
Reboot! You should be back to showing up as a Minis Nexo X5.
6) RK Mirroring is enabled. I have yet to figure it out or how to use it but if we ever do, its there.
I think we need a client on our tablets to use it. Hopefully more info will come from WiMo about this.
Also new to Android 4.2.2 is Wifi display. If you have another 4.2.2 phone or tablet you can share your
devices screen on your TV.
7) Remote Control using RK Remote APP is now fully supported!
In the ROM kit is a RKRemoteControl.apk.
You install this on your phone or tablet and now it can remotly control your TV player!
Just put the APK on sdcard or something and install it on your Android phone, tablet, etc.
ENJOY this one! I had a HARD TIME getting it to work!
8) I added a reboot APP that will allow optional reboot options like reboot to bootloader (flash mode).
9) It appears Xpad.ko is in the kernel already for Xbox controller support.
However since I do not have a xbox controller I cannot test or confirm this.
Please let me know if it works.
10) USB mass storage support.
Stock ROM this is set as a MTP device and there is not longer settings support to change it in 4.2.2!
I modified build.prop to change it from MTP to Mass Storage as I prefer this as it gives removable storage
for the external SDcard as well as internal SDcard.
On boot up if your connected to a PC you will get a start screen telling you USB is connected.
This is how a tablet works too. If you turn it on from this screen you will see your removable
drives on your PC.
I removed the USB on/off setting as it did not work at all so was useless.
This is also why I changed it to Mass storage.
If you want to change it back, just edit build.prop.
For more information ALWAYS read the README in the ROM kit!
Here are the links for 1.4 ROM
ROM -> Tronsmart MK908 Finless 1.4 ROM (250 megs)