Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [ROM] PMID4311 / EM543 - new version 20130101

[ROM] PMID4311 / EM543 - new version 20130101

New versions of CM10 (Jellybean) are now available for the Polaroid PMID4311 and Emerson EM543. The Polaroid version should be compatible with its Uniden-branded cousin.

These fully rooted ROMS are based on a build by Shaun2029, and include these apps: PlayStore, Gmail, SuperUser, Apex Launcher, ES Explorer, Root Checker, and KoiPond live wallpaper.

Unlike previous DoPa ROMS, this version comes in two parts so existing users can upgrade without losing their apps and data.
    • a LiveSuite image that is required if you are using the stock ROM. Current DoPa ROM users can skip this step.
    • an update zip containing CM10 that is installed using CWM.
    There are separate files for each tablet:
    Also available from the Polaroid link is a zip with all the apps that were preinstalled in the two tablets' stock ROMs.

Installation

Part 1 - LiveSuite image (xxxx-dopa-framework-20130108.zip)

This is a one-time step that is needed to expand your /system partition from 256mb to 384mb. Without it, attempts to install the update zip will fail for lack of space. It will also install an updated version of CWM 6.0.1.2 in your Recovery partition.

After LiveSuite finishes, the tablet should reboot automatically. If it doesn't, then restart the tablet normally - do not try to boot directly into CWM. On this first boot, the tablet will display the DoPa logo for about 10 seconds while it formats your /data, /cache, and /sdcard partitions. When done, it will reboot into CWM so you can install the update zip.

If you haven't used LiveSuite before, you can get it, along with instructions on using it, from here: LiveSuite.

Part 2 - Update Zip (xxxx-cm10-dopa-20130101.zip)

Copy the update zip to an SD card, insert it, then select "install update from SD card" from the CWM menu. Alternately, you can use ADB to push the zip to your internal SD card (a.k.a. /emmc). In either case, the update program will erase anything on the card, so backup any existing content. If you are upgrading from a previous DoPa ROM, the update will clear both /cache and /data/dalvik-cache - you shouldn't need to do anything manually. When done, hold the power button until the tablet powers off, then press it again to restart normally.

First Boot

it takes several minutes from the time you restart until the first screen appears - most of that time is spent in the CyanogenMod boot animation. Be patient. After it's up and running, the tablet will be very sluggish; its performance will improve noticeably after some use and a reboot.

If this is a first-time installation, you'll get a Setup Wizard which may not be able to identify any wireless networks. If you know the name of yours, you can select "Other Network" and enter its name - otherwise, you can back out of the Wizard and setup your WiFi and Google account later.

Compatibility & Bugs

The very newest Polaroid 4311's may actually be Emerson 543's in disguise - there's no way to tell from the outside. If your touchscreen stops working after flashing the 4311 version of the update zip, try the one for the 543.

This ROM should fix problems with wifi draining the battery when the tablet is asleep.

After installation, some stock apps may be larger than the screen because they were designed for higher resolution screens. A work-around for this was identified after this version was released: edit /system/build.prop and change 'ro.sf.lcd_density' from "120" to "96".

P.S. This announcement was posted as a new thread because the existing thread couldn't be edited. Please direct all comments to this thread.
    Last edited by dolorespark; 01-13-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added screen-size fix

Changelog

v20130108 - PMID4311 and EM543
    • updated both dopa-framework zips with new versions of CWM 6.0.1.2

v20130101 - PMID4311 and EM543
    • based on CM10 build by Shaun2029 dated 2012/12/08
    • returned to loading only those drivers known to be needed
    • repackaged ROM to separate its persistent components (bootloader, recovery, partition layout) from its upgradeable components (boot, system)

v20121217 - EM543
    • initial release - identical to the 4311 version except for changes to accommodate hardware differences

v20121209 - PMID4311
    • ROM now loads all likely drivers to ensure compatibility
    • restored CWM's standard names for the internal and external SD cards ('/emmc' and 'sdcard', respectively) - fixes bug that prevented applying updates from external SD card

v20121204 - PMID4311
    • initial release
    Last edited by dolorespark; 01-08-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: update changelog

Nice job

Do you include the tun.ko module in your release and is it inserted? I need it for OpenVPN...

Quote Originally Posted by Magister View Post
    Do you include the tun.ko module in your release and is it inserted? I need it for OpenVPN...
    I knew I'd forget something... and that's what I forgot However, the thing claims to support VPN (in Settings/Wireless & Networks/More...), and the 'dmesg' log shows entries like these:

Code:
    <6>[    1.770000] IPv4 over IPv4 tunneling driver
    <6>[    1.780000] GRE over IPv4 demultiplexor driver
    <6>[    1.780000] GRE over IPv4 tunneling driver
    Is tun.ko still needed?

yup tun.ko is needed for OpenVPN to work. It can wait for next release, but if you have the module compiled somewhere I would gladly take it and put it on my tablet

Coming from stock, framework installed right with LiveSuite, reboot into CWM.

However when I select the 543-cm10-dopa-20130101.zip file from the SD card, it says :

Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    E:Can't open /sdcard/543-cm10-dopa-20130101.zip (bad)
    Installation aborted.

File is 159'233'451 bytes and testing CRC is ok.

I tested with a 2GB SD card in FAT16 and a 16GB in FAT32, in case of.

EDIT: adb does not see the device so I can not push the file on the internal card :-/

EDIT2: ok, my previous install of the USB driver used:
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0003
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0003&MI_01
    now it was asking for a different PID, I added:
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001&MI_00
    and re-installed the driver, it works with ADB
    EDIT3: installing from internal SD card is working, you might want to check why it does not from an external one
    Last edited by Magister; 01-04-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister View Post
    when I select the 543-cm10-dopa-20130101.zip file from the SD card, it says :
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    E:Can't open /sdcard/543-cm10-dopa-20130101.zip (bad)
    Installation aborted.
    [snip]
    EDIT3: installing from internal SD card is working, you might want to check why it does not from an external one
    Perhaps your 543 has the same problem my 4311 has: the external SD card reader has never worked correctly. If it had, I might never have gotten into building my own ROMs.

I thought it strange that my CD collection ripped using iTunes on a Mac suffered from clicks and drop-outs like a bad tape when played from my micro SD card. I assumed it was an encoding problem until I tried installing CM10 update zips from it - the installs would fail at random. Once I started pushing updates to the internal SD, I never had another problem.

I'll certainly try reinstalling the update zip on my 543 using the external but I doubt the update zip is the cause of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dolorespark View Post
    Changelog

v20130101 - PMID4311 and EM543
    • based on CM10 build by Shaun2029 dated 2012/12/08
    • returned to loading only those drivers known to be needed
    • repackaged ROM to separate its persistent components (bootloader, recovery, partition layout) from its upgradeable components (boot, system)

v20121217 - EM543
    • initial release - identical to the 4311 version except for changes to accommodate hardware differences

v20121209 - PMID4311
    • ROM now loads all likely drivers to ensure compatibility
    • restored CWM's standard names for the internal and external SD cards ('/emmc' and 'sdcard', respectively) - fixes bug that prevented applying updates from external SD card

v20121204 - PMID4311
    • initial release
    the zip worked great updated without any problems.
    There is still size issues clock music only shows half on the lock screen
    play store when downloading app the % is all bunched up cant read.

other then that working stable.

guys, is there a good place to read up on adb?. I'm still fairly new to android (spent years on win mobile then on webOS).

I tried to install your new image and it went exactly like magister. (except I have no idea how to do adb)

Quote Originally Posted by bbsux View Post
    I tried to install your new image and it went exactly like magister.
    "Me too". I tried on my 543 and got the same result (actually, I enabled signature verification, so I got a bad signature error on a zip I know to be good). If this happens on both the 4311 and the 543, plus there are many reports of being unable to do a backup due to CRC errors, I have to suspect a software error is the cause. My guess is that it's in the kernel, so I'm going to try reconstructing CWM with different versions to see if I can get past this.

I have no idea how to do adb ... is there a good place to read up on adb?. I'm still fairly new to android
    There isn't a lot to read up on - just running it from the command line with no arguments brings up a lengthy help screen. The real issue is whether you're comfortable working with a unix shell - and, as always, getting Windows to install the necessary USB driver.

I just packaged up ADB and the Win drivers. You can get them here: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3...1HTEZERUE/edit

ADB is pretty straight-forward. Unzip the package and put the folder somewhere convenient. Then, open a cmd.exe window and change directory to that folder, or add the folder to your PATH so you can run it from wherever. The commands you'll use most often are adb pull, adb push, and adb shell (plus just adb to get help).

Installing the USB driver should be painless with the package I uploaded. It should work with any Allwinner tablet that the vendor is too lazy to customize - and it may work with any Android device (for reasons too involved to get into here). Be aware that you'll have to install the driver multiple times: when you're in Recovery, when the tablet is booted normally, and when you're in a boot loop.
    Last edited by dolorespark; 01-04-2013 at 10:35 PM.

I have to suspect a software error is the cause. My guess is that it's in the kernel, so I'm going to try reconstructing CWM with different versions to see if I can get past this
    I reassembled CWM with the stock Polaroid kernel & it seems to have fixed the problem. I was able to install the update zip from an external SD card. Plus, I did a backup to SD card from CWM and it succeeded (no CRC errors). After I do a little more testing, I'll post revised copies of CWM and the DoPa "framework" images.

I reassembled CWM with the stock Polaroid kernel & it seems to have fixed the problem. I was able to install the update zip from an external SD card. Plus, I did a backup to SD card from CWM and it succeeded (no CRC errors). After I do a little more testing, I'll post revised copies of CWM and the DoPa "framework" images.
    That will be great That should fix the backup problem. Right now it try to backup to the internal and crashes the sd card and the tablet.

thank for your hard work

ok I got adb working. how do I copy the zip to the internal sdcard? and then install?

Thanks

edit:

I figured it out...

adb push <localdir\file> /emmc/filename
    Last edited by bbsux; 01-05-2013 at 12:33 PM.

ok I got adb working. how do I copy the zip to the internal sdcard? and then install?

Thanks

edit:

I figured it out...

adb push <localdir\file> /emmc/filename
    guessing you are working with the update zip.
    On mine when i hook usb to windows you will see to drive 1 internal the other is external.
    The 2gb is the internal. I just drag drop the zip and reboot into cwm and select from internal (you will see the zip there) from the cmw menu.

Quote Originally Posted by hi5five View Post
    guessing you are working with the update zip.
    On mine when i hook usb to windows you will see to drive 1 internal the other is external.
    The 2gb is the internal. I just drag drop the zip and reboot into cwm and select from internal (you will see the zip there) from the cmw menu.
    mine had those two drives but they both said to insert media. (like when you have a usb sd card reader with no card in it)

[QUOTE=bbsux;45299]mine had those two drives but they both said to insert media. (like when you have a usb sd card reader with no card in it)[/QUOTe

That is strange driver loaded correctly?

Try more then 1 pc

[QUOTE=hi5five;45300]
    mine had those two drives but they both said to insert media. (like when you have a usb sd card reader with no card in it)[/QUOTe

That is strange driver loaded correctly?

Try more then 1 pc
    seemed to load correctly. Adb let me send it to the internal memory. so either way....

Quote Originally Posted by hi5five View Post
    On mine when i hook usb to windows you will see to drive 1 internal the other is external. The 2gb is the internal. I just drag drop the zip and reboot into cwm and select from internal (you will see the zip there) from the cmw menu.
    mine had those two drives but they both said to insert media. (like when you have a usb sd card reader with no card in it)
    Things should be as simple as possible - but not more so

hi5five's suggestion works (as described) if you are already running a previous version of this ROM and can skip the LiveSuite step. However, if you've installed the LiveSuite "framework" but not the update zip, you don't have a fully functioning system you can use to stage the next step. Even booting normally will reboot you into CWM. But that's not a problem...

On the CWM menu, select "mounts and storage", then "mount USB storage". Your internal and external (if present) SD cards will now be accessible in Windows, and you can use the simple d&d method hi5five described to transfer the update zip.

BTW... the "mount USB storage" option is not immediately visible on that menu, you have to scroll down to the bottom to see it.

Work-around for screen size issues

Because the stock apps were designed for 160dpi screens while these tablets are 120dpi, some stock apps are larger than the screen. The problem is most noticable in the status bar when the screen is in portrait mode: some of its symbols overlap.

A possible work-around for the problem is to edit /system/build.prop and change 'ro.sf.lcd_density' from "120" to "96". This will change the (down)scaling from 75% to 60% for items that were explicitly designed for 160dpi.

I've found that setting the density down to 75 helps a bit more.
    Then app names start showing in the home screen & app/widget view. (But they still dont show on the app/widget screen in landscape mode, which seems odd).
    You have to set the font size to Huge to compensate. Unfortunately, not all text is affected and many ui buttons are unusably small.

Other problems I did not have with stock rom:
    * almost all Play store apps refuse to install now ("your device isn't compatible / this app is incompatible") -- Google books, Angry Birds...
    * stability: Apex launcher is crashing a lot -- not sure of it improved or I just quit trying new things.
    * youtube crashes: if a video loads, it may play (but it rarely makes any progress loading -- wifi may be weaker?)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast