Thread: Apparently someone found and solved a bottleneck in Android

Apparently someone found and solved a bottleneck in Android

So this happened: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1987032

The author afirms the pool of random numbers is too small and when it gets empty it blocks the kernel, producing general lag. Apparently if the pool is increased the lag disappears and Android runs much more smooth. He has published an application that solves the issue.

Now, I dont know if its true or not, I have not tried it yet, but a lot of people in forums are reporting positive results. There is a way to do it without the app (that requires root), just modifying some parameters in the kernel. Its in the same thread.

If this ends up being true, as it looks like, this is a BIG f*** up by the Google engineers. That some random programmer on the internet managed to debug and find this bottleneck while Android engineers had not is embarassing to say the least. Also, this is why open source is great.
    Last edited by rrileypm; 01-03-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Re: Apparently someone found and solved a bottleneck in Android

I was a little bit skeptical but tried it.

It actually speeds things up a bit. I fired up a few torrent downloads and opened a few more apps, and typing this post shows no keyboard lags at all.

Without it...the tablet (Arnova 10bG3) is useless while downloading anything. I could not even get the keyboard to show up.

The DEV on this gives permission to include on custom ROM's.

I encourage the Freaktab Team to check this out.

I'll test this on my N101 also pretty soon.

Arnova 10bG3
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Thanks, for your continued support. Funds are low right now for new projects, so your help is greatly appreciated.
    Donate here

Sounds interesting!

Let up know how it goes on your n101 :thumbup:

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
    Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

Same result with the N101...if not a little more noticeable.

I have the same stuff running in the background, and no keyboard lag whatsoever.

I'll try some benchmarks with and without on both tablets.
    Randy
    Read my BIO Here
    Thanks, for your continued support. Funds are low right now for new projects, so your help is greatly appreciated.
    Donate here

Thanks Rrileypm

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
    Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

Keeping in mind that I have totally loaded the system with some file downloads and background apps, so it isn't exactly scientific...but here are my scores.

Like I said there was greater difference on the N101.

N101 with Seeder running 11341
    N101 without Seeder running 10920

10bG3 with Seeder running 2789
    10bG3 without Seeder running 2774

It is worth a try. If you try it, post your results.
    Randy
    Read my BIO Here
    Donate here

As per Bob's request, I moved this thread to a more general section because it applies to all Android devices.

This may be useful if you experience lag on your device when doing lots of resource intensive work/play.
    Randy
    Read my BIO Here
    Donate here

ok so i tried this on my 10bg3 running jellybean , and before my benchmark was 3200 after it was 3278

but you can for sure see the difference .
    freaktab art developer if you like my work please buy me a pepsi

Yes, in the past when we tweaked this Rom I only had Antutu improvements in small increments, but each time the improvements were noticeable.
    Randy
    Read my BIO Here
    Donate here

You must have done yours without a bunch of stuff running.
    Randy
    Read my BIO Here
    Donate here

Quote Originally Posted by rrileypm View Post
    You must have done yours without a bunch of stuff running.
    no did'nt really have much running like two background apps .going to try on my samsung now and see

ok tried this on my galaxy and before seeder it was 5368 with some stuff running

after it was 5686 so there is a difference.

Someone opened a bug at google for this issue: https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=42265 but the google engineers seem to be discarting it as placebo effect or attributing a slight improvement due to the cpu being up because the app wakes up every second.

But Im not using the app, Ive increased the amount of random numbers available through the kernel option and can see decrease of lag and increase responsibity as well. Situations where Android would get blocked for a second now they dont block. The stick does not feel quicker in general, just that it gets less stuck in some places. I dont think its placebo since the effects are pretty noticeable. Other people are reporting the same.

Wonder if Google will take it seriously or even if they will try to keep it secret out of embarassment.

I'm not that technical here, but I did notice a change.

Whenever I download anything, whether it is a torrent, or a group of Apk updates my system would slow way down to the point that you could not do anything else. I thought for some time that it was a problem with Android that caused the slowness. I tried every download app available and they all did the same thing.

When I saw this fix, yesterday I immediately wanted to see if it would make a difference in performance especially during downloads.

After installing the app, I did notice that my tablets were still able to function while downloading.

I don't think it is placebo. I'll give it a few days of testing in different conditions.
    Randy
    Read my BIO Here
    Donate here

Quote Originally Posted by rrileypm View Post
    I'm not that technical here, but I did notice a change.

Whenever I download anything, whether it is a torrent, or a group of Apk updates my system would slow way down to the point that you could not do anything else. I thought for some time that it was a problem with Android that caused the slowness. I tried every download app available and they all did the same thing.

When I saw this fix, yesterday I immediately wanted to see if it would make a difference in performance especially during downloads.

After installing the app, I did notice that my tablets were still able to function while downloading.

I don't think it is placebo. I'll give it a few days of testing in different conditions.
    Exactly, its not that everything runs quicker, its that certain particular situations get a lot quicker, the fix does not seem to increase general speed, but solve some bottleneck that happened regularly.

People are reporting noticeable differences while using the Google maps app in case anyone want to try.

That's why I loaded up the system before I ran benchmarks.
    Randy
    Read my BIO Here
    Donate here

Tried it on a MK808. It is definitely more responsive (i.e., not that it is faster, but it is more consistent under various load conditions). Though the Dev said that since ICS does not access the Dalvik cache anymore, it should be secure regardless for those of you who are concerned about security. =)