Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Nexbook AMlogic root WORK!

Rooting procedure for Nextbook NEXT8P12 (AMLogic) - USB 3G dongle method

1) Download the zip file attached to this post to a folder on your PC and unzip it. Find "Superuser.apk"and download it to the same folder (it is too large for me to attach here - even zipped up). It was posted earlier in this thread or you can probably find it elsewhere, as well.

2) Connect your tablet to the same PC and enable USB storage on the tablet.

3) Copy the files "su", "Superuser.apk", and "init-pppd.sh" to the the NEXT8P12 drive. This will put them in the root directory of the internal flash of your tablet ("/sdcard").

4) From the toolbar on your PC, click "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". When the dialog appears, click "Eject Android". You should get a popup message from the PC when it is "Safe to Remove Hardware".

5) Turn off USB storage on your tablet, disconnect it from your PC, and remove the USB data transfer cable.

6) Using ASTRO, navigate to the "/sdcard" folder. Copy the file "init-pppd.sh" (shows up as "init-pppd") and paste it in the "external_sd" directory. This will save your original file so you can restore it easily later should you want to do so.

7) Copy the modified "init-pppd.sh" file from the "/sdcard" directory (from step 3, above), navigate back to the "/etc" directory, and paste over the original "init-pppd.sh" file. Leave the filename the same. You will be asked if you want to overwrite the original file - click "Yes".

8) Install an active SIM card into your 3G dongle (I used a Huawei E220) and connect it via an OTG USB to micro USB adapter to your tablet. The LED on the dongle should begin to flash in short order. I tried this several times without a SIM card installed and it did not work for me.

9) Within a few seconds, you should see a new annunciator in the status bar in the lower right corner of your tablet's screen, where the time is displayed, between the WiFi and Battery annunciators. It looks like the one on your smart phone, with the familiar stepped bars. It will probably have an "X" at the bottom, for now - this is normal.

10) Open up "Settings" on your tablet. Press the "More..." button under the "WIRELESS & NETWORKS" heading. You should see two choices: "VPN" and "Proxy settings". Leave everything connected and set the tablet aside for 5 minutes. When you come back, the annunciator in the status bar shoud show that you are connected. You should now see an additional choice in the settings window: "Mobile networks". If you don't see this, press the "WiFi" button and then press "More..." again.

If it's still not there, give it a little more time... be patient! I thought it took a lot longer on the first tablet I did (like 10-15 minutes), but my wife's tablet only took 2-3 minutes to set up the 3G connection.

You may have to disable your display timeout ("Sleep" set to "Never timeout") for this to work properly, I'm not sure. I disabled it on my wife's tablet, but I was using my tablet when I rooted mine so the display did not shut off.

11) If you get this far, pppd has started on your tablet and your modified "init-pppd.sh" script has run. If you did everything right, your tablet is now rooted. Look in the "/system/bin" directory and you should find "su", and you should find "Superuser.apk" in your "/system/app" directory. You can delete the files you copied to the "/sdcard" folder in step 3 and restore the original "init-pppd.sh" file that you backed up to the external SD card to its original place in the "/etc" directory.

Note: I started this procedure from memory, then updated as I attempted to root my wife's tablet. It should work. If it doesn't, check your work and try again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nice work on the root method!

Hey, nice work on the root method there Eegor!

I can't wait to see the rom dump and a custom rom from Finless!

ShaunMT

Quote Originally Posted by shaunmt View Post
    Hey, nice work on the root method there Eegor!

I can't wait to see the rom dump and a custom rom from Finless!

ShaunMT
    Thanks, but the credit should really go to ozymandiaz for finding the potential exploit - the unprotected init-pppd.sh file - in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by eegorr View Post
    Thanks, but the credit should really go to ozymandiaz for finding the potential exploit - the unprotected init-pppd.sh file - in the first place.
    Well, then thanks to Ozymandiaz as well!

Now, lets get that rom dumped already!

ShaunMT

Great write-up and .zip file there! I'll probably use superSU rather than superuser but that's personal preference! I'm just glad we managed to get around all their lock-downs on this thing. It's pretty ridiculous! I'm waffling about buying a 3g dongle just to root the tablet since I don't have any use for it with other devices but if another root method can't be found via a ROM / recovery dump from your device then I'll order one up via Amazon Prime and finally get this thing rooted

Ha! So I get no credit for writing the script to push su and super user?

Kidding......

OK so eegorr, we now need a ROM dump!

Hang tight while I look back over posts for the parition table info and I will tell you how to dump it.
    You will need to get terminal emulator from google play and side load it.
    Please try to not mess with /system directory as this we need clean.

ALso no worry about your private data, we will not be dumping /user as we do not need it.

Be back later...

Bob
    "Przebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости их, ибо не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Atyám, bocsásd meg nekik, mert nem tudják mit cselekszenek!"
    "Odpusť jim, neboť nevědí, co činí"
    "Πάτερ άφες αυτοίς, ού γάρ οίδασι τί ποιούσι"
    "Ojcze, przebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

eegorr, look at post 23 from ozymandiaz

You will use DD command to dumpt the following
    bootloader
    boot
    system
    recovery

optional:
    logo
    aml_logo

I am hoping DD will hit EOF on each partition and stop so we do not have to have you set the size in the DD command. So lets try that first.

What I really need most for now is recovery! I will take it apart and remove the signing check and rebuild it. Then we can make ROMs using standrad google signing ZIP files

Hey...GOOD JOB man! Freakin awesome work!

Bob

Also if DD does not work try this instead

cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /mnt/sdcard/bootloader
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /mnt/sdcard/recovery

etc....

Bob

not sure if this is helpful or not but this is from a dmsg dump i did awhile back..

<5>[ 1.368842] Creating 1 MTD partitions on "C revision NAND 4GiB MT29F32G-C":
    <5>[ 1.368855] 0x000000000000-0x000000400000 : "bootloader"
    <4>[ 1.369937] bus_cycle=17, bus_timing=10, start_cycle=10, end_cycle=10,system=5.2ns
    <4>[ 1.369969] No NAND device found.
    <4>[ 1.369990] NAND device id: 2c 68 4 4a a9 0
    <6>[ 1.370003] NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0x2c (Micron C revision NAND 4GiB MT29F32G-C)
    <6>[ 1.370026] 1 NAND chips detected
    <4>[ 1.370134] bus_cycle=4, bus_timing=5, start_cycle=5, end_cycle=6,system=5.2ns
    <4>[ 1.370147] oob size is not enough for selected bch mode: NAND_BCH60_1K_MODE force bch to mode: NAND_BCH30_1K_MODE
    <4>[ 1.375619] aml nand env valid addr: 606000
    <6>[ 1.413412] nand env: nand_env_probe.
    <5>[ 1.413987] Creating 8 MTD partitions on "C revision NAND 4GiB MT29F32G-C":
    <5>[ 1.414007] 0x000000c00000-0x000001400000 : "logo"
    <5>[ 1.414810] 0x000001400000-0x000001c00000 : "aml_logo"
    <5>[ 1.415582] 0x000001c00000-0x000002400000 : "recovery"
    <5>[ 1.416307] 0x000002400000-0x000002c00000 : "boot"
    <5>[ 1.417058] 0x000002c00000-0x000022c00000 : "system"
    <4>[ 1.417077] NAND bbt detect Bad block at 5a00000
    <5>[ 1.417885] 0x000022c00000-0x00002ac00000 : "cache"
    <5>[ 1.418659] 0x00002ac00000-0x00004ac00000 : "userdata"
    <5>[ 1.419445] 0x00004ac00000-0x000100000000 : "NFTL_Part"

Notice the bad nand block .. lol ..
    Last edited by bryman777; 01-04-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finless View Post
    Also if DD does not work try this instead

cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /mnt/sdcard/bootloader
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /mnt/sdcard/recovery

etc....

Bob
    Okay, I had the following in a text file that I had tried a while back with no luck:
    dd if=/dev/block/mtdblock0 of=/sdcard/bootloader.img
    dd if=/dev/block/mtdblock1 of=/sdcard/logo.img
    dd if=/dev/block/mtdblock2 of=/sdcard/aml_logo.img
    dd if=/dev/block/mtdblock3 of=/sdcard/recovery.img
    dd if=/dev/block/mtdblock4 of=/sdcard/boot.img
    dd if=/dev/block/mtdblock5 of=/sdcard/system.img
    dd if=/dev/block/mtdblock6 of=/sdcard/cache.img
    dd if=/dev/block/mtdblock7 of=/sdcard/userdata.img
    dd if=/dev/block/mtdblock8 of=/sdcard/NFTL_Part.img

I ran it again as superuser, and it still didn't work, so I ran the following instead:

cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 /mnt/sdcard/bootloader
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd4 /mnt/sdcard/boot
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd5 /mnt/sdcard/system
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 /mnt/sdcard/recovery
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd1 /mnt/sdcard/logo
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 /mnt/sdcard/aml_logo

and now I have a 200MB zip file to send you. How am I going to do that?

BTW, the sizes of the individual files are as follows:

bootloader (4,096KB)
    boot (8,192KB)
    system (524,288KB)
    recovery (8,192KB)
    logo (8,192KB)
    aml_logo (8,192KB)

Do these file sizes seem right?

EDIT: According to bryman's last post, the file sizes look right to me:

0x000000000000-0x000000400000 : "bootloader" = 4,194,304 = 4,096KB
    0x000000c00000-0x000001400000 : "logo" = 8,388,608 = 8,192KB
    0x000001400000-0x000001c00000 : "aml_logo" = 8,388,608 = 8,192KB
    0x000001c00000-0x000002400000 : "recovery" = 8,388,608 = 8,192KB
    0x000002400000-0x000002c00000 : "boot" = 8,388,608 = 8,192KB
    0x000002c00000-0x000022c00000 : "system" = 536,870,912 = 524,288KB
    Last edited by eegorr; 01-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.

you can get a drop box account here . its free . https://www.dropbox.com/ .. then upload them .. thanks bro .. you rock !!!! im not sure about the filesizes .. but it looks good to me ..

This forum thread reeks of progress today, someone light a match or something!

I put the files on my Google drive and it is syncing now. Can you guys see the files here:
    https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B...013cGFueEhaaTg

EDIT: Since Bob has already downloaded these files, I just made this folder private. They are really useless to anyone else. If someone needs access to them, let me know.
    Last edited by eegorr; 01-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Opening link from my nexus 7 takes me to my own Drive account, might be different from computer but I'm not near my desktop at the moment to check.

I just looked, I believe you have to make it public or take privacy off, im not sure how to do that. but it will take awhile to upload and sync .. i have a 2mb upload, it took me about 20 minutes to upload a similar size file to drop box ..

Quote Originally Posted by bryman777 View Post
    I just looked, I believe you have to make it public
    It should be public already. The large files are still syncing - I'll post again when it is finished.

EDIT: You were right, bryman - I just made the folder public, but there are only five files there right now. The system dump and the zip file containing all of the files are still syncing - could be a while - they are huge!

Im just wondering how im going to restore my bricked tablet with these files, ill just have to wait until finless gets a hold of them and does his magic on them ..
    I checked big lots earlier today, their out of the nextbook tablets, Im to stubborn to take this thing back to big lots or return it to nextbook. I took it apart for a few days, let it drain out the cmos or whatever. now im getting a blinking light on it. I think this blinking light is waiting for files from the sdcard , when i hold the volume down and press the power button i get three really short blinks..

Quote Originally Posted by bryman777 View Post
    Im just wondering how im going to restore my bricked tablet with these files, ill just have to wait until finless gets a hold of them and does his magic on them ..
    I checked big lots earlier today, their out of the nextbook tablets, Im to stubborn to take this thing back to big lots or return it to nextbook. I took it apart for a few days, let it drain out the cmos or whatever. now im getting a blinking light on it. I think this blinking light is waiting for files from the sdcard , when i hold the volume down and press the power button i get three really short blinks..
    Yeah, I'll bet he can put something together that you can load from the SD card.

How did you get the thing apart, anyway? Did you take pictures? Did it go back together so you can't tell it was opened up?

It finally got cold here in the last week or so... it must be freezing up there! Is there snow on the ground or is it just icy?

You might be able to restore with a stock recovery and rom from eegor's tablet on a sd card like we had been trying previously? Short of that start running stuff from that flash tool perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by eegorr View Post
    Yeah, I'll bet he can put something together that you can load from the SD card.

How did you get the thing apart, anyway? Did you take pictures? Did it go back together so you can't tell it was opened up?

It finally got cold here in the last week or so... I'll be it is freezing up there! Is there snow on the ground or is it just icy?
    It was pretty easy, theres one screw near the sdcard, then i just slid my fingernails into it. yes i took pictures.. lol ..there are two screws on the motherboard.. the touchscreen ribbon is kinds hard to get back into place, but it went back together nice, u cant tell anything until u take it apart .. lol

yeah its been pretty cold at night around 5 or 10 degrees at night, high 30`s to high 40`s during the day.. we have about 6 inches to 2 feet of snow depending where you are, they been putting the salt on the roads up here for the last 5 or six years which sux, but its still icy .

Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast