Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iMito MX1 Android 4.1 Mini PC Build in Bluetooth Review XBMC works well!

A Couple Questions on the iMito X1

Hi neighbor, I live down the road from you in Dayton. Last evening I ordered an iMito MX1, so I'd be very interested in hearing more about your hands on experience with the device. It is my understanding that it supports usb RJ45 Ethernet and a usb sound card on the stock ROM out of the box. Have you tested this functionality? Also I'd appreciate any other advice non-obvious advice that would be useful.

I noticed that you asked about the development of a custom ROM. What issues would a custom ROM be addressing other than wifi?

I'd appreciate any input you can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytpn56 View Post
    Hi neighbor, I live down the road from you in Dayton. Last evening I ordered an iMito MX1, so I'd be very interested in hearing more about your hands on experience with the device. It is my understanding that it supports usb RJ45 Ethernet and a usb sound card on the stock ROM out of the box. Have you tested this functionality? Also I'd appreciate any other advice non-obvious advice that would be useful.

I noticed that you asked about the development of a custom ROM. What issues would a custom ROM be addressing other than wifi?

Now that is to funny because I thought you were talking to me as I am in the Houston area surrounded by Cleveland, Columbus and Dayton LOL and I'm actually from Sprintgfield OH on top of that. That really tripped me up since I never said where I was from till I seen the Cincinnati guy lol

Anyways, a custom ROM lets you get rid of bloatware, make speed improvements, memory management improvements. And those are just on the surface, there are tons of other tweaks that can be had to make it more robust and compatible. I've been in the Android field for nearly 3 years and let me tell you that one device can behave totally different with different ROM's.

Not sure on the USB Ethernet.

A pleasure to meet you. It seems I have lots of Ohio neighbors.

I grew up in Dayton and worked in both Columbus and Cincinnati. I graduated from Wittenberg in Springfield a long time ago, 1976. I also have relatives in Cleveland, but we don't talk about them.

I suppose my question on the custom ROM was spurred by the rave reviews I've seen about the stock ROM on the MX1 and I tend to be an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy and to be honest the great reviews on the stock ROM had a lot of influence on my choosing the MX1. I've been a Systems Analyst for over 30 years, so I don't expect I will have any major problems flashing the device, however I do prefer a device that I will not have to take from the mailbox and immediately be required to upgrade it before I can have a little fun with it.

I do hope MX1 can do a usb sound card out of the box for me. Though I do want wired ethernet also, I can most likely live with wifi for awhile since MX1 will be located about 15 feet from my router with no walls in between. However the sound on my TV sucks, so connecting it to an amp for surround sound is pretty much a necessity that would cause me to flash it sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by reddragon72 View Post
    Now that is to funny because I thought you were talking to me as I am in the Houston area surrounded by Cleveland, Columbus and Dayton LOL and I'm actually from Sprintgfield OH on top of that. That really tripped me up since I never said where I was from till I seen the Cincinnati guy lol

Anyways, a custom ROM lets you get rid of bloatware, make speed improvements, memory management improvements. And those are just on the surface, there are tons of other tweaks that can be had to make it more robust and compatible. I've been in the Android field for nearly 3 years and let me tell you that one device can behave totally different with different ROM's.

Not sure on the USB Ethernet.

A pleasure to meet you. It seems I have lots of Ohio neighbors.

I grew up in Dayton and worked in both Columbus and Cincinnati. I graduated from Wittenberg in Springfield a long time ago, 1976. I also have relatives in Cleveland, but we don't talk about them.

I suppose my question on the custom ROM was spurred by the rave reviews I've seen about the stock ROM on the MX1 and I tend to be an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy and to be honest the great reviews on the stock ROM had a lot of influence on my choosing the MX1. I've been a Systems Analyst for over 30 years, so I don't expect I will have any major problems flashing the device, however I do prefer a device that I will not have to take from the mailbox and immediately be required to upgrade it before I can have a little fun with it.

I do hope MX1 can do a usb sound card out of the box for me. Though I do want wired ethernet also, I can most likely live with wifi for awhile since MX1 will be located about 15 feet from my router with no walls in between. However the sound on my TV sucks, so connecting it to an amp for surround sound is pretty much a necessity that would cause me to flash it sooner than later.

Yep where I work, in my building, there is a guy from Springfield OH... so funny having two of us from the same city like that.

It should and will work OOTB but the new ROM from iMito improves upon things. And from what I can tell these devices can do audio and ethernet from the USB. Will have to wait and see once you get yours, but for me my device will be 10 inches from my primary router and my TV is fully digital with a 5.1 digital surround sound system so an external card is not need for me. But both of those should work out of the box.... I think...

does this thing overheat and does it have TRUE (not scaled) 1080p?

No TRUE (not scaled) 1080p. No factory stock dongle yet does.

Quote Originally Posted by userx View Post
    No TRUE (not scaled) 1080p. No factory stock dongle yet does.
    thanks for answering. what is the limitation, and do they have any in the works?

iMito MX1 should i buy

bob i am also a member on minipcforums i was fixing to buy the iMito MX1 any day now but then i read post on this site about prob with WiFi signal now i don't know what to do can u help me whats the real deal with this thing sir

Nice! I miss the old hockey rivalry days between Cincinnati & Dayton. I need to get back up to your neck of the woods. I hear they put in a new minor pro team in O'Hare Arena.

I do not have a USB sound card that I can test. I did however end up buying an RJ45 USB Adapter that should arrive tomorrow. I will let you know how that works out. Everything has been great except the WiFi, but I haven't been able to pinpoint why the connection is so flaky.

I get an AnTuTu Benchmark in the low 6000s.
    A/V Sync is fine in YouTube, Plex Media, and streaming movies.
    720p playback is fine. I don't have any 1080p I can test.
    I'm using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. No issues there, works flawlessly.
    Played a handful of games. Graphic performance is good to great.
    I recommend using the TV Launcher Pro that a user on this site created. It really makes for a much nicer experience.
    When playing movies or games, the device can get hot to the touch but I have not noticed any impact on performance.
    The WiFi peaks at 65mbps, but can drop as low as 1mbps. I'm on a WPA2 protected network. No issues finding and connecting to it, just in maintaining speed. Other WiFi devices in the area have no issues whatsoever, so I'm going to try the RJ45 adapter tomorrow.

I have updated the firmware with the manufacturer's update. It was a similar experience before and after though.

I don't follow hockey, however I believe Dayton has a team at either Hara Arena or the Nutter Center. I'm more of an NFL fan particularly of the Steelers, which doesn't make me a lot of friends in this area. I tend not to travel any further south than to the MicroCenter store in Sharonville. I just hate driving I-75.

I've read that a wired connection is a bit erratic without a powered usb hub, so I ordered this one
    http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Port-...=I8SGJX5XEFWGR
    and this usb ethernet adapter to go with it.
    http://www.amazon.com/BobjGear-Ether...=IZW6NIEBR8IHI
    Both have great user reviews from people using them on Android devices. My house has been ethernet wired for years, so I'd like to by pass the wifi issues completely. Also I believe that any MiniPC stick should run cooler with the wifi turned off. We shall see how much of that is true once I receive mine.

Are their any BT adapters that can connect to the RCA inputs on an amplifier? I've never used any BT based products. I ordered a low end usb sound card that works on an MK808 according to several reviewers, so I'm giving that a shot first,

I haven't been this excited about a tech product in ages. I hope I haven't set myself up for disappointment.

Nice meeting you.

Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseSticks View Post
    Nice! I miss the old hockey rivalry days between Cincinnati & Dayton. I need to get back up to your neck of the woods. I hear they put in a new minor pro team in O'Hare Arena.

I do not have a USB sound card that I can test. I did however end up buying an RJ45 USB Adapter that should arrive tomorrow. I will let you know how that works out. Everything has been great except the WiFi, but I haven't been able to pinpoint why the connection is so flaky.

I get an AnTuTu Benchmark in the low 6000s.
    A/V Sync is fine in YouTube, Plex Media, and streaming movies.
    720p playback is fine. I don't have any 1080p I can test.
    I'm using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. No issues there, works flawlessly.
    Played a handful of games. Graphic performance is good to great.
    I recommend using the TV Launcher Pro that a user on this site created. It really makes for a much nicer experience.
    When playing movies or games, the device can get hot to the touch but I have not noticed any impact on performance.
    The WiFi peaks at 65mbps, but can drop as low as 1mbps. I'm on a WPA2 protected network. No issues finding and connecting to it, just in maintaining speed. Other WiFi devices in the area have no issues whatsoever, so I'm going to try the RJ45 adapter tomorrow.

I have updated the firmware with the manufacturer's update. It was a similar experience before and after though.

Update: I have received my order yesterday.

There is no wifi issue here, but after running and exiting ehomeMediaCenter, MX1 automatically disconnected from wifi network. I couldn't connect to the wifi network without rebooting my router and MX1.
    Regarding upgrading firmware, for some reason I couldn't install rockchip usb driver. I tried on 3 different computer with same result.
    Yes, MX1 has been set to proper setting usb debugging, mass storage and connect to PC. I tried installing driver using robomobo with no luck as well.
    Any idea?

Hi Bob, good to see you here. I know you from helifreak.

HI

You can try to flash the newest firmware, i just get update from factory:

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php...e-on-14th-nov/

please check it.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by denoxster View Post

There is no wifi issue here, but after running and exiting ehomeMediaCenter, MX1 automatically disconnected from wifi network. I couldn't connect to the wifi network without rebooting my router and MX1.
    Regarding upgrading firmware, for some reason I couldn't install rockchip usb driver. I tried on 3 different computer with same result.
    Yes, MX1 has been set to proper setting usb debugging, mass storage and connect to PC. I tried installing driver using robomobo with no luck as well.
    Any idea?

MiniX NEO X8 and X8-H In stock in GeekBuying right now! Click here to buy!
    Tronsmart Vega S89 Elite in stock now, and price dropped to $99, Get one now!

The individual that made an MX1 upgrade video, "snickarn2004", had the same experience upgrading as you. He made this comment below the video:

snickam2004: "if dont upgrade it it works fine but if u upgrade it dies very often like every 5 min.
    my advise is just to root it for now so u can use sixaxis"

This the link to his video and comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg7dNDa6WBc&lc=ZaXtCWjjPUxIbOTkky1xcVPVbZn V4kFri1OQhfbCZPM&lch=email_reply&feature=em-comment_reply_received

I'm still waiting on mine, so I have no advice to offer.

Any idea?

Thanks for all of your guys report, i will call factory and report the problem, iMito is a very good factory, they have a lot of engineers and they can fix problem quickly.
    MiniX NEO X8 and X8-H In stock in GeekBuying right now! Click here to buy!
    Tronsmart Vega S89 Elite in stock now, and price dropped to $99, Get one now!

Geekbuying, I couldn't install rockchip usb driver. For some reason it just wont installed.
    I have rooted more than 5 android devices and never had any issue like this.
    Any idea what should I do next?

Daytpn56, he mentioned having issue installing driver as well but he did not elaborate who he resolved it.

Mine should arrive early next week, but I probably won't jump into rooting and flashing firmware immediately. I'll be like a little boy in a toy store and will just want to play and play. Hopefully by then those that bought before me will have resolved the gory details of those matters.

I'll be watching closely though.

Geekbuying, I couldn't install rockchip usb driver. For some reason it just wont installed.
    I have rooted more than 5 android devices and never had any issue like this.
    Any idea what should I do next?

Daytpn56, he mentioned having issue installing driver as well but he did not elaborate who he resolved it.

Hi.

I bought mine from Geekbuying, and got it saturday. This is a good-looking device, for sure... but also a quite crappy one.

After less than three days of use, the AC- and OTG outputs are broken (unsoldered). I'll try to fix it this weekend if I can.

Aside from that, I'm not accustomed to this kind of chinese products; but is this always so tricky to do such simple things as upgrade the firmware ? There are tons of problems with far-fetched solutions, and useful programs and/or drivers are hard if not impossible to find. Very annoying in the long run, and yet I'm not especially reluctant to this kind of operations usually.

I hope the other customers will be more satisfied with it; as far as I am concerned, I won't recommend to buy it, but I guess I am not the target audience. At least I know it from now on...

Have a nice evening.

It looks more exquisite than the original TV sticks

Sounds like another buggy device, great.

Haha, no worries. I have a couple of friends from Pittsburgh, so I know what they go through in this area.

I did receive the USB RJ45 adapter. I disabled WiFi, plugged it in, enabled ethernet in the settings, and it works fine. The connection has been very stable with the adapter. I'm not quite sure that I'm getting the full speed that's possible on my home network, but I'm getting enough to 'Direct Play' 720p movies on my Plex Server, which is the primary reason I bought the stick.

There are AUX 3.5mm BT receivers on the market from about $20 and up, not quite sure of any RCA. You could buy an aux to rca adapter for about a $1.

It's a fun gadget to tinker with. I'm not quite sure that it's ready for the typical consumer out of the box, but if you have patience it's worth it.

I don't follow hockey, however I believe Dayton has a team at either Hara Arena or the Nutter Center. I'm more of an NFL fan particularly of the Steelers, which doesn't make me a lot of friends in this area. I tend not to travel any further south than to the MicroCenter store in Sharonville. I just hate driving I-75.

I've read that a wired connection is a bit erratic without a powered usb hub, so I ordered this one
    http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Port-...=I8SGJX5XEFWGR
    and this usb ethernet adapter to go with it.
    http://www.amazon.com/BobjGear-Ether...=IZW6NIEBR8IHI
    Both have great user reviews from people using them on Android devices. My house has been ethernet wired for years, so I'd like to by pass the wifi issues completely. Also I believe that any MiniPC stick should run cooler with the wifi turned off. We shall see how much of that is true once I receive mine.

Are their any BT adapters that can connect to the RCA inputs on an amplifier? I've never used any BT based products. I ordered a low end usb sound card that works on an MK808 according to several reviewers, so I'm giving that a shot first,

I haven't been this excited about a tech product in ages. I hope I haven't set myself up for disappointment.

Nice meeting you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast