www.Geekbuying.com sent me a MK808 Android TV to make a custom ROM for. Well mission accomplished! Just like my ROM for the ug802, this is for the MK808. This was made using the latest Jellybean ROM for the MK808. However as I state below you have a choice of kernels to try from the 2 known ROMs available. Later I will work on adding ClockWork Mod as well as other possible fixes. I understand there maybe a new ROM coming out from the manufacturer so count on updates to my ROM as new ones come available.
So what is a Finless 1.4 ROM for this device?
Features in 1.4 ROM:
1) Fully rooted with the latest SU and SUperUser.apk
2) Debloated of junk APPs.
3) Cleaned up the file system so it is not fragmented! Basicly I used linux tune2fs when making the images.
4) I added a reboot APP that will allow you to reboot the device from the Android UI. No more unplugging the unit!It will also allow you to reboot to ROM flash mode and later when I add ClockWOrk Mod, it will reboot to recovery.
5) ADDED BONUS User APP space by default is only 1.5GB. I have increased that to 2Gig.
6) Two kernels to choose from! The original MK808 kernel from 9/12 which is said to have better CPU control
And the Geekbuy ROM 9/20 kernel. By default I setup the tool to use the 9/20 kernel. But if you
want to try the 9/12 kernel simply click the little box to the far right of the kernel line in the flash tool.
A file dialog will open and navigate to the FinlessROM folder and select the 9/12 kernel.
Note: you DO NOT have to erase everything to flash just the kernel! Simply unselect everything in the tool
except the kernel. Reboot to flash mode and flash just the kernel!
Is that simple to change kernels or what?
Note: In this ROM I believe I have fixed one of the Wifi issues. That is APPs or Gplay reporting "no connection" even though Wifi shows as still connected. In fact sometime when it did this the only way I was able to fix it was to turn Wifi off and back on! After applying my patch for this, I have not been able to recreate this problem so I believe it is fixed
I was not able to fix the 65Mbps speed limit. I believe this will require a kernel update or it is possibly a limit of the 9301 wifi hardware. I cannot find spec on the 9301 chip to determine what its full capabilities are.
The screen resolution problem of 1024x720 cannot be fixed without a kernel update.
In the ROM kit there is a read me! This has full instructions for how to upgrade. So PLEASE read the read me!
Here is my Finless 1.4 MK808 ROM:
ROM -> MK808 Finless 1.4 ROM (232 megs)