PDA

View Full Version : Pipo M8HD RileyROM 1.2

rrileypm
10-30-2013, 05:05 PM
This ROM is based on an official Pipo firmware dated 10/28/2013.

This time, I've debloated as much as totally possible to bring you the cleanest ROM I can.

Thanks to Freaktab user Darrellr, we also have an alternate kernel for this ROM. Actually, I first reported an overclocked kernel, but that's not the case. This alternate kernel is designed to reduce battery consumption by lowering voltages in certain areas. [I could get way more technical, but it isn't necessary here]. The kernel extends battery usage to 12-14 hours of screen time...pretty good, I would say.

http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3708&d=1383085432

I must say there is a certain amount of risk associated with overclocking, so think about it before you try it. After flashing the entire ROM, you can switch kernels as you like by running the Flash Tool and unchecking everything except the kernel line and flash without erasing IDB.

If you try this alternate kernel and experience abnormalities, (reduced screen brightness is normal with this kernel) then go back to the default kernel in my kit. Pipo produces a great product, but there are some hardware variations/inconsistencies that may produce different results on different tablets. Pipo's stock firmware is designed to account for that, which is why their kernels aren't completely optimized like this one is. It doesn't mean your tablet is broken if this kernel doesn't work for you, it just doesn't meet the necessary conditions for it to work properly.

Enough said about the alternate kernel...now on with the ROM:

This ROM is:

Rooted
Debloated
Init.d Support
CWM Recovery as an option
English Default
4, 8 or 12gb user app space as an option (default is 4)
VPN Support
Multi-User Support
Bluetooth GPS support
Improved Streaming tweaks added

Boot animation by Tattman65
Reboot app by Petrus
First Time User's Guide by Pr0xZen
Flash Tool by Finless

Download (http://www.freak-tab.de/rrileypm/Pipo_M8HD_RileyROM_1.2.zip)

Enjoy!!!!!!

If this ROM makes a difference for you, please consider a donation to support future RileyROM's here at Freaktab.com Donate!!! (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=rrileypm%40hotmail%2ecom&lc=US&item_name=rrileypm&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_LG%2egif%3aNonHos ted)

d33
10-31-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks to Freaktab user Darrellr, we also have an overclocked kernel for this ROM.

http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3708&d=1383085432

He has tested it and shown that it drastically improved performance and Antutu scores. I must say there is a certain amount of risk associated with overclocking, so think about it before you try it.

The kernel provided above has the DDR clocked to 720 MHZ. This compares to 528 MHz set in the stock kernel and 667 MHz being the standard rating for the physical memory used in many tablets (some have higher rated chips). The performance gain I got from this Kernel is ~9%.

I tried to over-clock the RAM, CPU and GPU in different kernels using RHJAnderson's Overclockomatic script (all credit to RHJAnderson for all this tinkering).

I had success with RAM (up to 800 MHz) but could not get a stable system even with the mildest oc of CPU (1.7 GHz vs stock 1.6 GHz). Overclocking the GPU to 798 (stock 600 MHZ) produced a stabile kernel but I got odd results on the Open GL ES 2.0 test in AnTuTu and no additional advantage in AnTuTu score. Clocking the DDR at 800 got no additional performance over 720 MHz.

Average AnTuTu scores:

Stock - 18,500
720 DDR - 20,200 (+9%)

rrileypm
10-31-2013, 08:38 AM
Due to some corruption issues with the zip file, I'm uploading this ROM again. I'll post again when it's done.

rrileypm
10-31-2013, 08:44 AM
OK, upload complete.

Flash away!!!!!!!!

rrileypm
10-31-2013, 01:13 PM
I misunderstood the whole purpose/design of the alternate kernel offered in post #1. Please read my edited version of post #1 for better understanding...it isn't overclocked.

According to DNKN:

Some details on my kernel. It is "not overclocked" as it uses _stock_ DDR freq of pipo 8hd, but with lowered voltage. And suspend freq lowered to 165mhz and undervolted.
1.8ghz uses voltage that used on 1.6ghz in stock kernel.and you can limit max clock with apps like CPU master.

You may encounter instability as some components are undervolted, if so flash stock, I will make image with other voltages later.

And last, not confirmed by long tests, but as for now, I'm getting awesome battery life with my kernel, but not this exactly, but with lower brightness ability. For now estimated screen on time is around 12-14 hours surfing, video is supposed to give even longer work time, as DDR speed is 300mhz in video mode. Long test will show real battery performance but it needs time.

d33
10-31-2013, 01:19 PM
I misunderstood the whole purpose/design of the alternate kernel offered in post #1. Please read my edited version of post #1 for better understanding...it isn't overclocked.

According to DNKN:

Randy,

You are confusing DNKN's compiled kernel and the patched kernel's I create.

The alternative kernel here has the DDR clocked at ~50% higher than stock. No other change, no other advantage, no other disadvantage.

We have not managed to compile a kernel for the M8HD ..... yet.

rrileypm
10-31-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm just going by what DNKN PM'd me. Now, I'm totally confused.....:face

d33
10-31-2013, 01:53 PM

Dnkn has compiled a kernel for the M9 Max. This thread is about the M8HD.

Sent from my M8HD using Tapatalk

nztdm
11-01-2013, 02:44 PM
So is the kernel in this got the 50% RAM overclock or the undervolting?
Does a total kernel compile needed for the undervolting?

Dnkn has compiled a kernel for the M9 Max. This thread is about the M8HD.

schuessm
11-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Hello,
I
'm looking for the official Pipo firmware dated 10/28/2013. Has anyone the version and can sent me an drop-box link or internetworkspace link? I get by the original link a network error.

Thank you for help!

Best regards

schuessm

d33
11-07-2013, 10:00 AM
So is the kernel in this got the 50% RAM overclock or the undervolting?
Does a total kernel compile needed for the undervolting?

Sorry I missed this post.

The kernel I uploaded has been binary patched using PHJAnderson's script. With this script it is possible to swap frequency and voltages for CPU, GPU and RAM. So far only altering the RAM speed has been successful. It would be possible to reduce voltage for all three components if you wanted to.

DNKN is compiling a kernel from source and so he can do pretty much whatever he wants but he is only compiling for his own device, a Pipo M9 Max.

dnkn
11-08-2013, 09:17 AM

Sorry,Riley for misleading you,but I meant to add that description to m9 thread :)
that is not needed now as I've started a thread conserning my kernel.
Right now I'm trying to build working image for pipo m9 v1 if I succeed , then m8hd may be possible.
And unfortunately that estimated 12-14 hours of usage were some strange miracle,happened one time. I get no more then 9,5hours of 1080 video with my kernel,but that is better then I get with stock.

rrileypm
11-08-2013, 09:56 AM
A little better than stock is all we can ask for. Keep up the good work.

Randy

d33
11-11-2013, 12:56 AM
I've fiddled about a bit and managed to squeeze a little more out.

CPU - Stock
GPU - 666 MHZ (Stock+10%)
RAM - 768 MHZ (Stock+45%)

This Combo gives AnTuTu of 20, 500 (+11% on stock)

nztdm
11-12-2013, 06:51 PM
I've fiddled about a bit and managed to squeeze a little more out.

CPU - Stock
GPU - 666 MHZ (Stock+10%)
RAM - 768 MHZ (Stock+45%)

This Combo gives AnTuTu of 20, 500 (+11% on stock)

Hello. I have M8HD Wifi-Version.

I flashed this kernel but when I try boot. It blinks the RileyROM boot screen for like 2 seconds, then the screen flashed black then white at 2Hz.

I flashed it by selecting just the kernel in the flash tool.
I fixed it by flashing back to stock (same method).

I also tried the kernel on the OP. That will boot up and work fine but the system will crash every 15 minutes or so.

Could you make a kernel at the standard RAM speeds for the hardware perhaps?

nztdm
11-12-2013, 09:58 PM
If your live wallpaper picker is missing. Here is the one from the stock firmware.
Use a root file explorer like ES File Explorer and move the APK to /system/app and set permissions to rw- r-- r--

Ritterchen
11-15-2013, 01:39 AM
Hello, i am new here and i have a M8HD for about one week. But unfortunately with a lot of problems...
Sometimes the screen is dead and i have to restart the unit - sometimes it starts apps without touching the screen :OMG .
The battery loads up to 80 percent, not more.
And when loading the tab, it freezes and can only be restarted with the reset button.
So i decided to send it back... i only need the original Firmware from Pipo, at the moment it is impossible to download it directly from Pipo :RED .
Can someone help me, please ?

Greetings from germany, frank

nztdm
11-15-2013, 02:01 AM
Hello, i am new here and i have a M8HD for about one week. It unfortunately with a lot of problems...
Sometimes the screen is dead and i have to restart the unit - sometimes it starts apps without touching the screen :OMG .
The battery loads up to 80 percent, not more.
And when loading the tab, it freezes and can only be restarted with the reset button.
So i decided to send it back... i only need the original Firmware from Pipo, at the moment it is impossible to download it directly from Pipo :RED .
Can someone help me, please ?

Greetings from germany, frank

I also got my M8HD a week ago and am very happy with it with none of those issues. it sounds like defective hardware to me. I am using this rileyrom 1.2 and with the stock kernel, no problems at all.
I hink if you search M8HD on this forum, there is a thread with the stock firmware. Im not sure.

Ritterchen
11-15-2013, 02:18 AM
Yes i think it must be defective, too.
But there is no stock rom for the M8HD in this forum, i am sorry.
I tried to load from Pipo several times, it always stops :( .

Frank

nztdm
11-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Yes i think it must be defective, too.
But there is no stock rom for the M8HD in this forum, i am sorry.
I tried to load from Pipo several times, it always stops :( .

Frank

Are you downloading from here? This is the latest firmware. Use a download manager like Orbit download manager.
http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=3399349362&uk=1811948349

d33
11-15-2013, 02:36 AM
I also got my M8HD a week ago and am very happy with it with none of those issues. it sounds like defective hardware to me. I am using this rileyrom 1.2 and with the stock kernel, no problems at all.
I hink if you search M8HD on this forum, there is a thread with the stock firmware. Im not sure.

Download is here (http://pipo.cn/index.php?m=About&a=gujian_show&id=136)

Ritterchen
11-15-2013, 02:54 AM
Sorry, but these are the sites i tried. No chance - it stops after several minutes. :(

Frank

nztdm
11-15-2013, 02:56 AM
Sorry, but these are the sites i tried. No chance - it stops after several minutes. :(

Frank

Yep. Use a download manager so you can resume.
If the download automatically starts in your browser. Press cancel, then copy the link (from google chrome for example) and paste it into orbit downloader.

I cant right now as i am going to sleep. But if you havent downloaded it tomorrow, i will download it myself and upload it to a reliable file hosting site for you.

Sent from my Pipo M8HD

Ritterchen
11-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Thank you very much !! Have a nice sleep ;) .

Frank

nztdm
11-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Thank you very much !! Have a nice sleep ;) .

Frank

Here are uploaded compressed versions of the latest M8HD firmware.
Firmware (https://mega.co.nz/#!Ek1y1TYL!Yxve_UM1N4fG_cTnXFI460_sq_kqzQmTmUVUk0C Z2nM)
Flashtool (https://mega.co.nz/#!ggslHY5Q!AQ_tdjdHXY85ykF3IcZIj1zTOkAZOc3RLigoNG2 TaUI)

Ritterchen
11-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Good morning ! (its 8 AM here in germany now :) ).
Great, thank you very much ! I tried last night with download manager and still got errors and break-ups,
so i really appreciate your help. :CHEERS .

Downloading now...

Frank

nztdm
11-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Good morning ! (its 8 AM here in germany now :) ).
Great, thank you very much ! I tried last night with download manager and still got errors and break-ups,
so i really appreciate your help. :CHEERS .

Downloading now...

Frank

Glad to help!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ritterchen
11-17-2013, 03:34 AM
So, downloaded and installes the original rom ( thank you again )...
And wtf :OMG: No problems anymore ! No screen flickering, no hickups, no resets ! And the battery lasts a lot longer...
I dont know what happened, maybe some problem with the installation of RileyRom 1.2 ?
With that rom i have had the problems... .
So maybe i will stand a while with the original rom - how do i get root for that ?

Greetings, Frank

rrileypm
11-17-2013, 05:38 AM
Is anyone else having the same problem with this ROM?

Randy

Haedor
11-17-2013, 07:09 AM
well I only got the problem with the extreme battery drain while using 3g.
Frank are you also using 3g?

Greetings

-after running stock firmware again i still got the battery drain, hope pipo is goona fix that in the next fw update, otherwise im not sure if i'll keep it. Is this a problem with other pipos too?

Ritterchen
11-17-2013, 01:44 PM
No, i am not using 3G. For the Moment.... I use the tablet only at home with wifi always on. No Bluetooth and no 3G.
But i got battery drain with custom Rom 1.2 :WTF.
Hmmm...
Frank

nztdm
11-17-2013, 01:54 PM
So, downloaded and installes the original rom ( thank you again )...
And wtf :OMG: No problems anymore ! No screen flickering, no hickups, no resets ! And the battery lasts a lot longer...
I dont know what happened, maybe some problem with the installation of RileyRom 1.2 ?
With that rom i have had the problems... .
So maybe i will stand a while with the original rom - how do i get root for that ?

Greetings, Frank

Here is the universal root tool that I have used on a few RK3188 tablets. Just connect tablet with Developer mode on. And run the .BAT file.

Root Tool (https://mega.co.nz/#!AtcUCLBY!QF8YC0olCh2HJ5VN-JcOzAooqEQXmAiGl6cDxsT2y2Q)

Ritterchen
11-18-2013, 12:04 AM
:CHEERS I am at work now, but i will download and flash root this evening. Thanks !

Frank

d33
11-18-2013, 12:40 AM
I had some initial battery problems that exhibited by flickering screen etc

I used battery stats reset tool and went through a few cycles and all a lot better now.

However there is definitely something not 100% about the battery management.

Sent from a mobile device - apologies for any crap

Paul01
11-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Hi All,

Today I received my m8hd, played with the stockrom did an otaupdate and after that flashed finlessrom. Sorry RileyROM ofcours.
For now no I encountered zero problems and the rom works good.
Will report problems when they pop up.

kind regards,
Paul

rrileypm
11-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Did you mean RileyROM?

Paul01
11-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Did you mean RileyROM?

Sorry yes you are right. RILEYROM now I will not forget it any more.

Haedor
11-20-2013, 07:35 AM
What I noticed:
The CWM recovery you added into this package doesn't really work on the M8HD.
You can boot into recovery but you can't choose any options, neither with the two buttons
on top, nor with swipe gestures. Only thing working is the power button

edit: works with mouse & otg

Ritterchen
11-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Did a crosscheck and installed RileyRom 1.2 again. And again battery drain, screen lags or hangs and the tablet stopped working over night. Sorry :ROLL ...
Will install original Rom again.

Frank

Haedor
11-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Well I send mine back to the seller and bought a surface 2. Hope for you there will be some fixes soon

Paul01
11-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Wifi drains the battery . I disabled wifi last night and during the day battery consumption was minimal. A little search on the internet showed that its a issue in jelly bean. Maybe google can or will fixed it soon.

stevejc
11-29-2013, 04:58 AM
Hi, I've just get my new Pipo M8HD.

I've noticed that wifi is weaker than my M8PRO (10 db)

Do you have the same problem or it's my tablet ?

Thanks

Paul01
11-29-2013, 09:08 AM
I do not know how I can measure the strenght of my wifisignal of my tablet. What app did you use?

Paul01
11-29-2013, 09:17 AM
With wifi analyzer I have -53 db but I think that is my routerssignal!

stevejc
11-29-2013, 09:41 AM
With wifi analyzer I have -53 db but I think that is my routerssignal!

Far for my router, I've got -77db with my old PipoM8PRO and a nexus 7 : but I can connect

But with the Pipo M8HD : I've got -90db : and I can't connect

Paul01
11-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Try to change the channel in your router . Often there is a conflict with routers of neighbours that use the same channel.

rrileypm
11-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Some people are reporting wifi problems stemming from bad solder connections and shorting of the internal antenna. It might be worth popping the back cover and looking. There is discussion of this on the M9 Pro thread.

stevejc
11-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Some people are reporting wifi problems stemming from bad solder connections and shorting of the internal antenna. It might be worth popping the back cover and looking. There is discussion of this on the M9 Pro thread.

Yes, I saw that

but I afraid a little to do that because we have repaired my Pipo M8pro that has fallen on its power button and now its screen is definitly black.

And the tablet has only 3 days ...

I have another spare wifi router so I will use it.

So if i understand , others owners of M8HD have no problem

Paul01
11-29-2013, 12:01 PM
I have now problem with my wifi maybe others....

desmondo
12-02-2013, 04:32 AM
Riley,

Fab work the new rom is working like a charm i am quite confident that my tab boots up quicker and in general is a lot smoother. I love the rkreader app and was wondering can i install this manually using app injector if anyone can provide it. ?

I also have a cwm back up is it possible to install from this, without messing up the tab?

rrileypm
12-02-2013, 05:57 AM
I'm working on an update which I'll leave the RK reader app and include CWM installation on first boot.

Stay tuned.

Randy

manao
12-03-2013, 12:25 AM
New update:
M8HD_1009_1.1.2_update#360_20131130.img
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1b3uhd

rrileypm
12-03-2013, 04:28 AM
I have it.

I was working on a ROM for the M7 Pro last night and plan to get this one started today.

Randy

d33
12-04-2013, 03:08 AM
pan.baidu.com/wap/share/home?uk...
M7pro_#70_rk3188-892-20131130-v1.0.6.img M8HD_1009_1.1.2_update# 360_20131130.img ...

It appears same rom!

Sent from a mobile device - apologies for any crap

rrileypm
12-04-2013, 10:12 AM
The kernels are different. I posted v1.3 yesterday for this tablet.