PDA

View Full Version : New Nextbook - Next7HD8G aka NX007HD8G - Root and Romdump Wanted

shaunmt
09-15-2013, 06:51 PM
I noticed Wal Mart has another new Nextbook. The model is Next7HD8G or NX007HD8G. This looks like a 7 inch version of the Next8HD8G or NX008HD8G.

Here is a link to the device at Wal Mart: (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-NX007HD8G-with-WiFi-7-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.1-Jelly-Bean-Operating-System/23711117)http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-NX007HD8G-with-WiFi-7-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.1-Jelly-Bean-Operating-System/23711117 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-NX007HD8G-with-WiFi-7-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.1-Jelly-Bean-Operating-System/23711117)

If anyone gets one of these, let me know and I'll help you root it. Give me a romdump and I'll make a modified 3e recovery, stock ROM and root package for it.

ShaunMT

jeremey989
09-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Oh crap that's what i have.The nx007hd. I thought it was the Next7P12-8G. So i guess i am bricked til someone else can get you the romdump

shaunmt
09-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Oh crap that's what i have.The nx007hd. I thought it was the Next7P12-8G. So i guess i am bricked til someone else can get you the romdump

Did you attempt to install the Next7P12-8G ROM?

If not. DON'T!

If so, did it work????

ShaunMT

jeremey989
09-15-2013, 07:31 PM
I did try it and no it didn't work. When i put the recovery mod into the ex-sd it froze at the first boot image. and without the recovery mod it wont let me flash the stock rom. Now it freezes on the second boot image.

shaunmt
09-15-2013, 07:38 PM
I did try it and no it didn't work. When i put the recovery mod into the ex-sd it froze at the first boot image. and without the recovery mod it wont let me flash the stock rom. Now it freezes on the second boot image.

Good the ROM might, maybe work, but it would be a downgrade for you. Take the uImage_recovery file out of your SD Card. In fact, go ahead and delete all files you downloaded except for the kyser_root.zip.

You can still boot your tablet normally correct?

I'll be happy to help you root this model and dump the ROM for me work on. Just don't try to flash anything else in the meantime.

ShaunMT

jeremey989
09-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Good the ROM might, maybe work, but it would be a downgrade for you. Take the uImage_recovery file out of your SD Card. In fact, go ahead and delete all files you downloaded except for the kyser_root.zip.

You can still boot your tablet normally correct?

I'll be happy to help you root this model and dump the ROM for me work on. Just don't try to flash anything else in the meantime.

ShaunMT

It only goes as far as the second nextbook logo and that's where is freezes. Then i have to manually shut it off

shaunmt
09-15-2013, 08:23 PM
It only goes as far as the second nextbook logo and that's where is freezes. Then i have to manually shut it off

Does it boot if you remove the external SD card?

ShaunMT

jeremey989
09-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Does it boot if you remove the external SD card?

ShaunMT

Nope still freezes

shaunmt
09-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Nope still freezes

Can you remove the external SD Card, leave it out, hold power and volume and reboot to stock recovery?

ShaunMT

jeremey989
09-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Can you remove the external SD Card, leave it out, hold power and volume and reboot to stock recovery?

ShaunMT

yes it goes to recovery

shaunmt
09-15-2013, 09:01 PM
yes it goes to recovery

Awesome! You're not totally bricked then!

If you can, put your external SD card in your computer and clean off any of the ROM / Recovery files you downloaded. You certainly won't be needing them.

On your tablet, in the stock recovery, try doing a wipe/factory reset. That should hopefully get your tablet fully up and running normally again.

ShaunMT

jeremey989
09-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Awesome! You're not totally bricked then!

If you can, put your external SD card in your computer and clean off any of the ROM / Recovery files you downloaded. You certainly won't be needing them.

On your tablet, in the stock recovery, try doing a wipe/factory reset. That should hopefully get your tablet fully up and running normally again.

ShaunMT

Oh no. Now it isn't turning on.

shaunmt
09-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Oh no. Now it isn't turning on.

I sometimes have trouble getting my models to turn on. Plug in the power cord and try again.

jeremey989
09-16-2013, 04:53 AM
I sometimes have trouble getting my models to turn on. Plug in the power cord and try again.

Nothing not powering up at all. I really messed it up.

shaunmt
09-16-2013, 06:43 AM
Nothing not powering up at all. I really messed it up.

Please validate my assumptions:

You started with a stock Next7HD8G aka NX007HD8G.

You downloaded the modified recovery, stock ROM and root package for the Next7P12-8G.

You attempted to boot the modified recovery for the Next7P12-8G, but it failed to boot to recovery. (it should fail to boot the modified recovery, the modified recovery should not be compatible with a Next7HD8G)

After which, your tablet would not boot normally? It did boot to stock recovery once, but after doing a wipe data / factory reset it won't power on at all?

Have I missed anything? Did you try anything else between those steps? Was there anything else that you tried to flash?

ShaunMT

jeremey989
09-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Please validate my assumptions:
You started with a stock Next7HD8G aka NX007HD8G.

You downloaded the modified recovery, stock ROM and root package for the Next7P12-8G.

You attempted to boot the modified recovery for the Next7P12-8G, but it failed to boot to recovery. (it should fail to boot the modified recovery, the modified recovery should not be compatible with a Next7HD8G)

After which, your tablet would not boot normally? It did boot to stock recovery once, but after doing a wipe data / factory reset it won't power on at all?

Have I missed anything? Did you try anything else between those steps? Was there anything else that you tried to flash?

ShaunMT

it was stock. but i had rooted it already with the cydia impactor. now when i plug the tablet into the computer it looks for the drivers for m6-chip

shaunmt
09-16-2013, 12:21 PM
it was stock. but i had rooted it already with the cydia impactor. now when i plug the tablet into the computer it looks for the drivers for m6-chip

It should not be possible to brick a tablet unless you've flashed an incompatible update or used some sort of USB flashing tool to erase the NAND.

Is your tablet still not powering on at all? You can't boot normally or boot to stock recovery, even with the power cord plugged in?

jeremey989
09-16-2013, 12:26 PM
It should not be possible to brick a tablet unless you've flashed an incompatible update or used some sort of USB flashing tool to erase the NAND.

Is your tablet still not powering on at all? You can't boot normally or boot to stock recovery, even with the power cord plugged in?

still won't power up. i really messed up somewhere.

Rabid1
09-16-2013, 04:00 PM
still won't power up. i really messed up somewhere.

I have noticed with these Nextbbook they can get stuck in fel mode. My 8HD actually goes straight to it when it shuts down using the power off in the OS. Once it does this it is kind of hard to get out.

Try this.

1. Put the tablet on the charger for about an hour, just to make sure it has juice.
2. Connect the tablet to the computer via usb. Don't press any buttons on the tablet just listen for the connect sound on the PC. Check the device manager to see if anything popped up.
3. If no noise keep the tablet connected to the PC, press and hold the power button for a good 60 seconds, release and do it again. Listen for the connect sound, check the device manager for a new device.
4. If still no device try unplugging the USB. Press and hold the power button and insert the USB, look for a device to pop up M3 in the device manager.

jeremey989
09-16-2013, 04:05 PM
I have noticed with these Nextbbook they can get stuck in fel mode. My 8HD actually goes straight to it when it shuts down using the power off in the OS. Once it does this it is kind of hard to get out.

Try this.

1. Put the tablet on the charger for about an hour, just to make sure it has juice.
2. Connect the tablet to the computer via usb. Don't press any buttons on the tablet just listen for the connect sound on the PC. Check the device manager to see if anything popped up.
3. If no noise keep the tablet connected to the PC, press and hold the power button for a good 60 seconds, release and do it again. Listen for the connect sound, check the device manager for a new device.
4. If still no device try unplugging the USB. Press and hold the power button and insert the USB, look for a device to pop up M3 in the device manager.
it comes up as M6-CHIP

shaunmt
09-16-2013, 04:49 PM

Try this.

Thanks for sharing some new ideas! Your description sounds kind of how mine acts sometimes after I try to boot a test recovery that fails.

shaunmt
09-16-2013, 04:52 PM
it comes up as M6-CHIP

Put your external SD card back in, with the modified recovery, and see if you can still boot recovery from SD card. If you can, at least we will have an easy way to fix it once we get the right ROM. If we can't get it boot to recovery, you'll have to learn how to either use the AML flash tool to fix it or create a rescue SD card. I don't currently know how to do either. The other alternative is to return/exchange the tablet.

ShaunMT

Rabid1
09-16-2013, 06:53 PM
it comes up as M6-CHIP

Awesome it means you are not hard bricked. Before you try anything else, press and hold power until the device disappears. That way you know you are off.

Thanks for sharing some new ideas! Your description sounds kind of how mine acts sometimes after I try to boot a test recovery that fails.

I think we discussed it a little on PM about it wanting to boot into flash (fel) mode. I thought it might be your or my rom or the recovery or some combination, but it looks like it is just a design flaw in the tablet themselves.

If we can't get somebody to provide a ROM dump by next week maybe, I can pick one up from Walmart just to dump.

shaunmt
09-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Awesome it means you are not hard bricked. Before you try anything else, press and hold power until the device disappears. That way you know you are off.

I think we discussed it a little on PM about it wanting to boot into flash (fel) mode. I thought it might be your or my rom or the recovery or some combination, but it looks like it is just a design flaw in the tablet themselves.

If we can't get somebody to provide a ROM dump by next week maybe, I can pick one up from Walmart just to dump.

I thought about doing the same, but I don't have the extra cash for another toy right now. I also thought about picking one up, dumping it and returning it, but I'm planning to exchange my Next8HD8G and I think they limit returns/exchanges these days.

ShaunMT

Rabid1
09-16-2013, 07:06 PM
I thought about doing the same, but I don't have the extra cash for another toy right now. I also thought about picking one up, dumping it and returning it, but I'm planning to exchange my Next8HD8G and I think they limit returns/exchanges these days.

ShaunMT

QVC or ShopNBC used to have it. I might go that way too.

jeremey989
09-17-2013, 08:40 AM
thanks guys. i will download the aml tool and read up on how to use it

jeremey989
09-18-2013, 03:33 PM
the flash tool looks like it flashes an upgrade image file. but does that mean it flashes the recovery also? because its not booting into recovery with the modded on on my external sd

shaunmt
09-18-2013, 03:49 PM
the flash tool looks like it flashes an upgrade image file. but does that mean it flashes the recovery also? because its not booting into recovery with the modded on on my external sd

I am under the impression that it can flash individual partitions or everything, but I don't know what format the files need to be in. It should also be able to format and partition the NAND if necessary, but again I don't know how to configure or use it.

You're tablet is not currently booting anything, correct? No system, no stock recovery, no SD card recovery, nothing?

Does ADB work? does the backlight even come on?

ShaunMT

Rabid1
09-18-2013, 10:30 PM
I think there are two versions of the tool. One only does update images and one does individual partitions in Linux, but not sure.

jeremey989
09-19-2013, 11:29 AM
I am under the impression that it can flash individual partitions or everything, but I don't know what format the files need to be in. It should also be able to format and partition the NAND if necessary, but again I don't know how to configure or use it.

You're tablet is not currently booting anything, correct? No system, no stock recovery, no SD card recovery, nothing?

Does ADB work? does the backlight even come on?

ShaunMT

the backlight doesn't come on.

jeremey989
09-21-2013, 08:52 PM
after searching high and low for roms and firmware. i came across one thread that mentions unsoldering and resoldering the battery. so i opened up the tablet to see if the pictures were similar. and discovered on the battery a sticker that says yifang m7000nd . could i possibly use the firmware marked for the chinese model?

shaunmt
09-21-2013, 09:06 PM
after searching high and low for roms and firmware. i came across one thread that mentions unsoldering and resoldering the battery. so i opened up the tablet to see if the pictures were similar. and discovered on the battery a sticker that says yifang m7000nd . could i possibly use the firmware marked for the chinese model?

A large number of these cheap tablets are actually made by Yifang and resold under many different names. Have you found another tablet that you think is the same? A lot of us here would like to know about, as the ROMs are often interchangeable, assuming the hardware is identical.

I'm sure several of us would also like to know how the dissasembly went and photos would be nice too! Was the case easy to open? I've never tried it on any of mine.

ShaunMT

Rabid1
09-21-2013, 11:00 PM
If you got to Made In China it shows that model as the Nextbook so if you have a link to the factory rom it should work.

jeremey989
09-22-2013, 11:23 AM

jeremey989
09-22-2013, 11:26 AM

taking it apart was fairly simple. lightly pried the casing near the hdmi port. got my thumbnail into the opening between the casing and screen. dragged along the seam and popped the clips.

shaunmt
09-22-2013, 08:25 PM
taking it apart was fairly simple. lightly pried the casing near the hdmi port. got my thumbnail into the opening between the casing and screen. dragged along the seam and popped the clips.

Thanks for sharing!

amandaqueen
10-13-2013, 01:57 PM
I noticed Wal Mart has another new Nextbook. The model is Next7HD8G or NX007HD8G. This looks like a 7 inch version of the Next8HD8G or NX008HD8G.

Here is a link to the device at Wal Mart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-NX007HD8G-with-WiFi-7-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.1-Jelly-Bean-Operating-System/23711117 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-NX007HD8G-with-WiFi-7-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.1-Jelly-Bean-Operating-System/23711117)

If anyone gets one of these, let me know and I'll help you root it. Give me a romdump and I'll make a modified 3e recovery, stock ROM and root package for it.

ShaunMT

I JUST GOT THIS AND THE WIFI DOES NOT WORK CAN YOU HELP ME TO ROOT IT PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU SO I CAN GET THE WIFI TO WORK I CANT FIND THE UPDATE FILE FOR IT ITS NOT EVEN ON THE WEBSITE PLEASE HELP ME TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO GET THIS TO WORK

shaunmt
10-13-2013, 02:11 PM
I JUST GOT THIS AND THE WIFI DOES NOT WORK CAN YOU HELP ME TO ROOT IT PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU SO I CAN GET THE WIFI TO WORK I CANT FIND THE UPDATE FILE FOR IT ITS NOT EVEN ON THE WEBSITE PLEASE HELP ME TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO GET THIS TO WORK

CAPS REALLY AREN'T NECESSARY...

There are no official updates available. Neither the vendor nor the manufacturer even provide a copy of the original firmware.

If you've got a brand new tablet and haven't yet tried to flash anything, and your WiFi doesn't work, then you very well may have a defective device.

If you have flashed something that didn't work right, then you might want to try the files available here:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7011-Amlogic-Next7P12-8G-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7011-Amlogic-Next7P12-8G-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root)

The ROM posted there offers no new features or fixes. It is simply a copy of the original ROM dumped from a working device. The modified recovery is just like the stock recovery only it allows you install packages signed with Google test keys instead of Nextbook keys. The root package will root the tablet.

ShaunMT

InSpectre Gadget
10-29-2013, 02:47 PM

Here is a link to the device at Wal Mart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-NX007HD8G-with-WiFi-7-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.1-Jelly-Bean-Operating-System/23711117 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-NX007HD8G-with-WiFi-7-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.1-Jelly-Bean-Operating-System/23711117)

ShaunMT

I bought one. I'd really like to install Kali Linux on it, but I'm still learning. I would like to root it first. What do I do first, hombre?

P.S. I'd be happy to give you a romdump, except in the thread on how to do it you recommend onandroid, which requires that the device be rooted. Did I miss something?

shaunmt
10-29-2013, 04:11 PM
I bought one. I'd really like to install Kali Linux on it, but I'm still learning. I would like to root it first. What do I do first, hombre?

P.S. I'd be happy to give you a romdump, except in the thread on how to do it you recommend onandroid, which requires that the device be rooted. Did I miss something?

Awesome! Cydia Impactor should root it for you. After you root it, please dump the ROM before doing anything else. Here are instructions for dumping the ROM:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7768-How-To-Dump-The-Stock-ROM-from-an-Amlogic-Based-Nextbook-Tablet (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7768-How-To-Dump-The-Stock-ROM-from-an-Amlogic-Based-Nextbook-Tablet)

ShaunMT

InSpectre Gadget
10-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Awesome! Cydia Impactor should root it for you. After you root it, please dump the ROM before doing anything else. Here are instructions for dumping the ROM:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7768-How-To-Dump-The-Stock-ROM-from-an-Amlogic-Based-Nextbook-Tablet (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7768-How-To-Dump-The-Stock-ROM-from-an-Amlogic-Based-Nextbook-Tablet)

ShaunMT

Yeah, I can't find any meaningful info on the problem I'm having with Cydia. It can't detect my device. At first I thought it was a driver issue, but I can't get it to respond after having tried to update the drivers (they were current). The Cydia Impactor homepage provides little help. Any ideas?

EDIT: Got it. had to turn on developer options and allow usb debugging

InSpectre Gadget
10-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Dump Incoming. Have to go get an SDcard. (:

shaunmt
10-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I can't find any meaningful info on the problem I'm having with Cydia. It can't detect my device. At first I thought it was a driver issue, but I can't get it to respond after having tried to update the drivers (they were current). The Cydia Impactor homepage provides little help. Any ideas?

EDIT: Got it. had to turn on developer options and allow usb debugging

Glad to hear it!

shaunmt
10-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Dump Incoming. Have to go get an SDcard. (:

Yeah... you'll be wanting an external SD card. Don't skimp on a cheap one either... they tend to wear out very fast. Spend a little more for a name brand one, rated class 10. A name brand one can probably be expected to outlive the device you buy it for.

I got a 32GB Class 10 SanDisk brand micro SD card from Amazon. I think I paid around $30 for it.

ShaunMT

InSpectre Gadget
10-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Ok, new problem:

Now when I try to get Onandroid to do the backup I get an exit (code 70) Whether I'm using the default shell or not. Anyone have this same problem?

Edit: It's Alive!

InSpectre Gadget
10-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Alright Shaun, where do I go to input the dd part of this? Is it part of Onandroid (I hope) because it looks to me liike it's command line type stuff for linux...which I'm not so well versed in. In other words:

Where do I type "cat proc/mtd", etc? I'll be digging while I await your reply.

shaunmt
10-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Alright Shaun, where do I go to input the dd part of this? Is it part of Onandroid (I hope) because it looks to me liike it's command line type stuff for linux...which I'm not so well versed in. In other words:

Where do I type "cat proc/mtd", etc? I'll be digging while I await your reply.

You need to download a terminal app to type those commands into.

I'm researching your other issue with Online Nandroid Backup... I don't remember having to install anything for it, but I think I may have updated something before I tried to install it.

ShaunMT

InSpectre Gadget
10-29-2013, 08:19 PM
This might be the coolest thing I've ever done, Shaun. I just want you to know that.:cool:

InSpectre Gadget
10-29-2013, 08:30 PM
When I get to the dd section I'm told permission is denied. I have clockworkmod's superuser app. Is there something in particular i need to do before it will allow me access?

Edit: Got it. Same as old Linux. :)

shaunmt
10-29-2013, 09:05 PM
When I get to the dd section I'm told permission is denied. I have clockworkmod's superuser app. Is there something in particular i need to do before it will allow me access?

Enter su on a line by itself. You'll be prompted to grant access to your terminal app.

ShaunMT

shaunmt
10-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Ok, new problem:

Now when I try to get Onandroid to do the backup I get an exit (code 70) Whether I'm using the default shell or not. Anyone have this same problem?

Edit: It's Alive!

You need to go to settings in Online Nandroid Backup and install the onandroid script and mkyaffs2image.

You'll also need to change the backup location to your external SD card, and select save Yaffs2 as Tar.

ShaunMT

InSpectre Gadget
10-29-2013, 09:08 PM
You need to go to settings in Online Nandroid Backup and install the onandroid script and mkyaffs2image.

You'll also need to change the backup location to your external SD card.

ShaunMT

Good to include this for those who follow.

I have the .zip file. Where do you want it?

shaunmt
10-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Good to include this for those who follow.

I have the .zip file. Where do you want it?

The instructional thread has already been updated... :p

InSpectre Gadget
10-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Well, The upload is at 3%...I'm going to go do some calculus problems for a few minutes. You should have your link soon enough!

shaunmt
10-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Well, The upload is at 3%...I'm going to go do some calculus problems for a few minutes. You should have your link soon enough!

I'm in no hurry. I won't be able to do anything with for a while. You can PM me the link when it's ready and I'll let you know when I've downloaded it so you can remove it.

Thanks for helping out and enjoy your rooted tablet!

ShaunMT

gitanojr
11-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Just got this tablet:

Nextbook 7
Model: NX007HD8G
Serial no.: YFG0813030189
Android: 4.1.1
Kernel: 3.0.8
Build: JRO03C.v008

Were you guys able to root it??
If so can you please provide me with a link??
Thanks

Jim K
11-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Cydia Impactor rooted my NX007HD8G on the first try. But then I foolishly fiddled with some system files and ended up with the left 60% of the screen black. It still responds to touches, but I have to guess what I'm touching. Factory Reset dumped all my apps, but didn't affect the display. I sure could use a flashable stock ROM package!

shaunmt
11-10-2013, 09:32 AM
I think I have a dump for this laying around some where. I will check and upload it tonight.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

gitanojr
11-10-2013, 06:14 PM
I think I have a dump for this laying around some where. I will check and upload it tonight.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Will this dump be rooted?? All I need is root the tablet to move game data

shaunmt
11-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Will this dump be rooted?? All I need is root the tablet to move game data

It will be the same format as I posted for the other models, a modified recovery, a non-root stock rom, and a root patch that can be flashed by itself.

ShaunMT

gitanojr
11-10-2013, 06:27 PM
It will be the same format as I posted for the other models, a modified recovery, a non-root stock rom, and a root patch that can be flashed by itself.

ShaunMT

Awesome!!! Thanks

shaunmt
11-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Enjoy: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8078-Amlogic-Next7HD8G-%28NX007HD8G%29-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8078-Amlogic-Next7HD8G-%28NX007HD8G%29-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root)

ShaunMT

Jim K
11-12-2013, 09:29 AM
The recovery screen is titled "Android system recovery <3e>". (I think this is normal.) I select EXT, sdcard, and the mod recovery package. The display shows:

-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installation aborted.

The robot falls over on his back with a red triangle with a black exclamation point on his chest.

I assume my tablet isn't accepting the package signing, but have no clue why that might be the case. I downloaded the file again in case my first try was corrupted, but no change.

What else can I try?

Thanks.

shaunmt
11-12-2013, 10:17 AM
The recovery screen is titled "Android system recovery <3e>". (I think this is normal.) I select EXT, sdcard, and the mod recovery package. The display shows:

-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installation aborted.

The robot falls over on his back with a red triangle with a black exclamation point on his chest.

I assume my tablet isn't accepting the package signing, but have no clue why that might be the case. I downloaded the file again in case my first try was corrupted, but no change.

What else can I try?

Thanks.

Yes, the modified recovery says "Android system recovery <3e>" just like the stock recovery, but you DO NOT flash the modified recovery, you just unzip it and place the uImage_recovery file on the top level of your external SD card. With it placed on your external SD card, the tablet will automatically use it instead of the stock internal recovery when you hold volume and power to boot to recovery.

Then if you try to flash the ROM or the Root patch, it won't fail the signature verification anymore.

ShaunMT

Jim K
11-12-2013, 12:19 PM
"If all else fails, read the directions!" I used to tell my kids that. Anyway, I tried it the way I was supposed to, and it won't boot to the mod recovery. The tablet freezes at the first boot image. Did I also miss something about the sd card format? I did a full format in Windows 7 to FAT32 with 4096B allocation unit, put nothing but the mod recovery image on the card, and tried to boot it. No luck. It did boot to stock recovery with the blank sd card installed. During boot (normal or stock recovery) there's a subtle change in screen brightness a few seconds after the image first comes up. With the mod recovery on the sd card, the image stays at the initial brightness level. That tells me it's freezing very early in the process. Earlier in this thread, Jeremey989 was also unable to boot to the mod recovery, but he had other issues as well. I can still do a normal boot, but with the half black screen.

shaunmt
11-12-2013, 04:54 PM
"If all else fails, read the directions!" I used to tell my kids that. Anyway, I tried it the way I was supposed to, and it won't boot to the mod recovery. The tablet freezes at the first boot image. Did I also miss something about the sd card format? I did a full format in Windows 7 to FAT32 with 4096B allocation unit, put nothing but the mod recovery image on the card, and tried to boot it. No luck. It did boot to stock recovery with the blank sd card installed. During boot (normal or stock recovery) there's a subtle change in screen brightness a few seconds after the image first comes up. With the mod recovery on the sd card, the image stays at the initial brightness level. That tells me it's freezing very early in the process. Earlier in this thread, Jeremey989 was also unable to boot to the mod recovery, but he had other issues as well. I can still do a normal boot, but with the half black screen.

Your card should be formatted ok as is. Can you access your external SD card from within Android?

Not sure why it won't boot to the modified recovery. Unfortunately, I can't do much troubleshooting without the tablet.

It sounds like there might be a problem with the kernel. What is the kernel version reported under About This Tablet in Settings?

I don't know what Jeremey989 was using, but it wasn't my recovery for the Next7HD8G, because I just posted it this week.

Jim K
11-12-2013, 08:49 PM
The kernel no. is 3.0.8 and the build is JRO03C.v008
The SD card works fine both read and write in my desktop PC (in an adapter) and in a tablet that's a twin of the one that's giving me trouble. I can't be absolutely sure it works in the problem tablet because I can't see enough of the display to operate the software after a normal boot.

jeremey989
11-13-2013, 06:16 AM

i had flashed the wrong rom and hard bricked my tablet

shaunmt
11-13-2013, 06:22 AM
The kernel no. is 3.0.8 and the build is JRO03C.v008
The SD card works fine both read and write in my desktop PC (in an adapter) and in a tablet that's a twin of the one that's giving me trouble. I can't be absolutely sure it works in the problem tablet because I can't see enough of the display to operate the software after a normal boot.

Jim, am I correct that you previously flashed a ROM that was not compatible with your tablet?

Jim K
11-13-2013, 08:43 AM
No, I never flashed anything; that was Jeremey that said he flashed the wrong ROM. I made the mistake of directly modifying some files in the system folder rather than flashing changes.

I just put the sd card in the working twin to my problem tablet and tried to boot it to the mod recovery. It behaves exactly the same way. No shift in display brightness, and locks up on the boot screen. So there must be a fault in the recovery package.

Could it be the archive process? Is it safe to assume it was archived in an uncompressed format? I used WinRAR to unpack it, and the file size was the same as the zip file (3859KB).

shaunmt
11-13-2013, 09:11 AM
No, I never flashed anything; that was Jeremey that said he flashed the wrong ROM. I made the mistake of directly modifying some files in the system folder rather than flashing changes.

I just put the sd card in the working twin to my problem tablet and tried to boot it to the mod recovery. It behaves exactly the same way. No shift in display brightness, and locks up on the boot screen. So there must be a fault in the recovery package.

Could it be the archive process? Is it safe to assume it was archived in an uncompressed format? I used WinRAR to unpack it, and the file size was the same as the zip file (3859KB).

It is an uncompressed zip archive. Assuming, you unzipped the modified recovery and put just uImage_recovery on the external SD card, along with the still zipped up ROM and/or root package, the problem is going to be related to kernel compatibility, the recovery ramdisk, or the way they were packaged to create the uImage_recovery image.

I'll see if I can boot the recovery image for your tablet on my Next8HD8G when I get a chance. The hardware is similar enough that it should boot, although I may not get any screen display due to the screen size difference. If that's the case, I can write a script to test if the recovery is actually running.

Jim K
11-13-2013, 10:19 AM
After my false start, I'm sure I've set up the card correctly.

FYI the 7 inch model's display is 1024x600 pixels and the 8 inch is 1024x768. Don't know if that's useful info.

I really appreciate your time and trouble.

shaunmt
11-14-2013, 03:53 PM
After my false start, I'm sure I've set up the card correctly.

FYI the 7 inch model's display is 1024x600 pixels and the 8 inch is 1024x768. Don't know if that's useful info.

I really appreciate your time and trouble.

FYI. The modified recovery won't boot on my Next8HD8G either... it fails and falls back to the stock internal recovery instead. I'll have to work on it and post a revised version. The good news is I should be able to test the recovery on my tablet.

ShaunMT

Jim K
11-17-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm absolutely certain that I downloaded the mod recovery package from the same page as the ROM file, but I just noticed I had the Next7P12 recovery file instead. I downloaded it again from the same link, and this time got the NX007 package. Now I can boot to recovery, but it must be to stock (just like your NX008) since the ROM install aborts during verification. I don't see any indication that the sdcard recovery failed; it just comes up on the recovery page the same as without the sdcard. The progress bar gets to about 1/2 inch long during verification before the install aborts. Just to confirm, the file I have now is 4,178,878 bytes, dated Nov 10, 2013.

jeremey989
11-17-2013, 11:26 AM
i tried using the stock rom int the usb burning tool. no luck there. does anyone know a way of converting it to an upgrade zip

shaunmt
11-17-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm absolutely certain that I downloaded the mod recovery package from the same page as the ROM file, but I just noticed I had the Next7P12 recovery file instead. I downloaded it again from the same link, and this time got the NX007 package. Now I can boot to recovery, but it must be to stock (just like your NX008) since the ROM install aborts during verification. I don't see any indication that the sdcard recovery failed; it just comes up on the recovery page the same as without the sdcard. The progress bar gets to about 1/2 inch long during verification before the install aborts. Just to confirm, the file I have now is 4,178,878 bytes, dated Nov 10, 2013.

Sounds like the same thing I found. I haven't had time to do any further testing yet.

ShaunMT

shaunmt
11-17-2013, 01:28 PM
i tried using the stock rom int the usb burning tool. no luck there. does anyone know a way of converting it to an upgrade zip

I don't know anyone who has had any luck with the amlogic usb burning tool, expect maybe a few of the ainol guys over at slatedroid. Everyone else who has tried to use it has only bricked their tablets.

If I had to guess, whatever ROM was included in the download with it is not for a Nextbook. It is most likely for an Ainol tablet. I haven't been able to get any of the ainol ROMs to work on Nextbooks.

ShaunMT

BlackZilla
12-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Can anyone list the exact specs of this tablet ?

Im trying to buy one off of newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834106007

Doesnt list bluetooth and on the picture it shows it being nx007hd on the back. And nx7000hd on the user manual.

Says it has a resolution of 1024 x 600 but owners manual states 800 x 600 ..

who has some truth ? Can this be updated to latest 4.2 android as listed on Yifang digital website ?

shaunmt
12-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Can anyone list the exact specs of this tablet ?

Im trying to buy one off of newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834106007

Doesnt list bluetooth and on the picture it shows it being nx007hd on the back. And nx7000hd on the user manual.

Says it has a resolution of 1024 x 600 but owners manual states 800 x 600 ..

who has some truth ? Can this be updated to latest 4.2 android as listed on Yifang digital website ?

I'm pretty sure this model doesn't have bluetooth. The 8 inch version doesn't.

The 8 inch version is 1024 x 720. Not sure if the 7 inch is the same.

eFun / Nextbook is horrible about changing hardware and inaccurately updating packaging and manuals or not updating them at all.

eFun / Nextbook hasn't provided updates for any tablets in over a year. I wouldn't count on ever seeing another one and definitely not an android version update. This is true of most of the other budget tablet vendors also. They buy the same cheap tablet models from Yifang Digital, slop together a ROM and ship them out then don't offer any support or updates. They basically assume you'll pass the tablet to your kid and upgrade to a newer model with a newer system version on it.

ShaunMT

Jim K
12-06-2013, 06:15 PM
The specs on the newegg website match my NX007HD8G. The screen is 1024 x 600. It does NOT have either bluetooth or GPS. The documentation doesn't mention it either way, but it does support USB host with an adapter (at least my wireless mouse and a flash drive work). I couldn't find this model on the Yifang website. The Nextbookusa website says it won't charge through the USB port, but it really will, just very slowly; 500 ma from USB vs 2 amps from the AC wall charger.

BlackZilla
12-06-2013, 08:30 PM
This is the webpage for Yifang Webpage - http://www.yifangdigital.com/product/M7000NBD.aspx

which is the same model number as Newegg.com

I didn't see Bluetooth nor gps in the owners manual. But I did see the resolution conflict.

Do you by chance have a hard copy of the manual ?

Thanks for your guys post !! Glad to find a site already messing with this product.

Jim K
12-07-2013, 09:23 AM
I think the Newegg website has an incorrect reference to the M7000NBD. The M7000NBD is very similar to the NX007, but has some significant differences, i.e. Bluetooth and Android 4.2. Everything on the Newegg listing except the M7000 reference, including the pictures, seems to match the NX007. Google Play identifies my Nextbook tablet as a Yifang NX007, not an M7000...

I have both hard copy and pdf versions of the owner's manual.

BlackZilla
12-07-2013, 10:19 AM
I agree newegg has not represented this product with the correct model number. It seems everyone has been confused by this on that site.

Good thing is if you can actually get through on live chat and complain about product model and shipping delay they will give you a 10.00 credit.

so you either can order this and wait it out for 49.99 or you can order it and wait till they credit you 10.00 and then cancel your order for a FREE 10.00.

KrystyonWayne24
12-08-2013, 09:57 AM
I have downloaded the root and recovery and tried several times to flash to my NX007HD8G and nothing has worked. Here is info on tablet. I would really like to root it so could mess with stuff on it. I can't find any real info on the CydiImpactor root but will use it if can figure out how to. Im a noob and just wanna play with tablet to learn more about this stuff.

Model Number ----------NX007HD8G
Android Version---------4.1.1
Kernel Version----------3.0.8
Build Number-----------JRO03C.v008
Serial Number-----------YFG0813070041
Manufactured-----------August 2013

l8rsk8r
12-31-2013, 09:06 AM
I just got this tablet for Christmas.
NX007HD8G
Android Version: 4.1.1
Kernel Version: 3.0.8
Build Number: JRO03C.v008
"Virgin" out of the box, has not been updated or anything.
Is there anything I can do to help you guys out?

@ShaunMT - Do you still need a Romdump?
@KrystyonWayne24, BlackZilla & Jim K - If there's anything I can copy, extract or wrangle off mine and send your way that you think might help you out of you respective situations, I'd be happy to do it. Just say the word. :cool:

shaunmt
12-31-2013, 09:57 AM
I just got this tablet for Christmas.
NX007HD8G
Android Version: 4.1.1
Kernel Version: 3.0.8
"Virgin" out of the box, has not been updated or anything.
Is there anything I can do to help you guys out?

@ShaunMT - Do you still need a Romdump?
@KrystyonWayne24, BlackZilla & Jim K - If there's anything I can copy, extract or wrangle off mine and send your way that you think might help you out of you respective situations, I'd be happy to do it. Just say the word. :cool:

What is your Serial number / manufacture date? If it is newer than 08/12/13, I'd love a romdump.

If it is newer, try rooting via Cydia Impactor instead of my flashable kyser_root. Some people have reporting problems.

Thanks!

ShaunMT

l8rsk8r
01-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Manufacture Date: May 2013 Sorry!

CrazyCZ
01-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Hi, I've bought the NX007HD8G few days ago.
Android version: 4.1.1
Build: V1.0.4.JR003C.user.root.20131028

I don't know if the 20131028 means manufacture date 10/28/2013 or where else I get the manufacture date.

Tell me if the dump will be of any use for you.

Sorry for my english and thanks.

shaunmt
01-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Hi, I've bought the NX007HD8G few days ago.
Build: V1.0.4.JR003C.user.root.20131028

I don't know if the 20131028 means manufacture date 10/28/2013 or where else I get the manufacture date.

Tell me if the dump will be of any use for you.

Sorry for my english and thanks.

That is the build date of the ROM.

The manufacture date is on the packaging and may be later than the build date of the ROM.

The newest ROM build I currently have for this model is from 8/12/13.

If you could root, dump it and upload it, I'd love to have a copy.

I would suggest rooting via Cydia Impactor, as some people have reported problems with my flashable root on newer tablet versions.

ShaunMT

CrazyCZ
01-09-2014, 02:08 PM
I've checked the box and it says November 2013. So I'll try to root it with impactor, dump the rom and post link here.

CrazyCZ
01-10-2014, 12:23 PM
OK, here is a link to my rom dump (http://mc.crazycz.net/download/nextbook/NX007HD8G_11-2013_rom_backup.zip)

It contains only bootloader, logo, aml_logo, recovery, boot, and system. No data or cache.

shaunmt
01-10-2014, 12:52 PM
OK, here is a link to my rom dump (http://mc.crazycz.net/download/nextbook/NX007HD8G_11-2013_rom_backup.zip)

It contains only bootloader, logo, aml_logo, recovery, boot, and system. No data or cache.

Ok. Don't need data or cache. Those only contain downloaded apps, user settings and personal data.

I'll check it sometime tonight.

ShaunMT

DaremoS
03-28-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty sure this model doesn't have bluetooth. The 8 inch version doesn't.

ShaunMT

When Yifang talk of bluetooth in their tablets means that a dongle can be connected to the OTG port.

roadkill
03-28-2014, 08:18 PM
When Yifang talk of bluetooth in their tablets means that a dongle can be connected to the OTG port.yes if i understand it thats how

shaunmt
03-28-2014, 09:46 PM
When Yifang talk of bluetooth in their tablets means that a dongle can be connected to the OTG port.

I don't know about that, as I don't have any models with bluetooth support... but the models that don't mention bluetooth, don't even support bluetooth dongles... they only support 3G cellular dongles...

ShaunMT

thebiggboss180
03-31-2014, 07:43 AM
asian versoins only that got bluetooth

like next800t and next700t

shaunmt
03-31-2014, 07:46 AM
asian versoins only that got bluetooth

like next800t and next700t

That's what I thought...

The Next800T is on my list of devices to work on. Don't have a ROM dump from a Next700T though...

ShaunMT

Giles0
03-31-2014, 09:48 PM
I just got my Nextbook after sending mine in for replacment. I trashed it trying to update it with the updates you had posted a few months back.
Now that I have a fresh one, I went through your instruction to DUMP the ROM.
http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7768-How-To-Dump-The-Stock-ROM-from-an-Amlogic-Based-Nextbook-Tablet

I have only rooted, and loaded utilities to try and back up this nextbook. I finaly went through all your steps and got the ROM dump.

I will be glad to share it with you if you don't already have it.

Could you provide how to restore from the ROM DUMP? (So I can trash things up again and again and...)

MODEL: NX007HD8G
Serial Number: YFCS10130013XX

By the way, I was totaly honest with Nextbook, told them what I did, they said if their was no physical dammage it would still be covered. Later I got an email saying that if I do it again, it will not be coverd. Glad they stood behind what they first told me, and glad I was honest. My thoughts, if you have a bricked unit, it cant hurt to send it in if it is less than a year old. In USA, I used BOOK rate, and boxed it very nice and solid. Less than $4.00 to ship it. (Well, it is a nextBOOK)

Best Regrds,
Giles

shaunmt
03-31-2014, 10:09 PM
I just got my Nextbook after sending mine in for replacment. I trashed it trying to update it with the updates you had posted a few months back.
Now that I have a fresh one, I went through your instruction to DUMP the ROM.
http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7768-How-To-Dump-The-Stock-ROM-from-an-Amlogic-Based-Nextbook-Tablet

I have only rooted, and loaded utilities to try and back up this nextbook. I finaly went through all your steps and got the ROM dump.

I will be glad to share it with you if you don't already have it.

Could you provide how to restore from the ROM DUMP? (So I can trash things up again and again and...)

MODEL: NX007HD8G
Serial Number: YFCS10130013XX

By the way, I was totaly honest with Nextbook, told them what I did, they said if their was no physical dammage it would still be covered. Later I got an email saying that if I do it again, it will not be coverd. Glad they stood behind what they first told me, and glad I was honest. My thoughts, if you have a bricked unit, it cant hurt to send it in if it is less than a year old. In USA, I used BOOK rate, and boxed it very nice and solid. Less than $4.00 to ship it. (Well, it is a nextBOOK)

Best Regrds,
Giles

Check the build.prop to verify the board version and build date.

The newest version I have is dated 10-10-13 and is probably the next model that I will work on.

ShaunMT

Giles0
03-31-2014, 10:38 PM
Build date is Sep 12, 2013

ro.product.board=NXM7000ND_WM

I am going to bed. If you need it, let me know. I will upload it tomarrow.

Best regards,

Giles

shaunmt
03-31-2014, 10:39 PM
Build date is Sep 12, 2013

ro.product.board=NXM7000ND_WM

I am going to bed. If you need it, let me know. I will upload it tomarrow.

Best regards,

Giles

It is newer than what I've got. Would love to try it on my tablet and probably use it as the base for a modified ROM. Actually... nevermind, I've got a October build that is newer.

ShaunMT

jharrison
05-05-2014, 04:01 PM

---------------------------------------
do you still have that rom dump? my nx007hd8g is stck and the modified rom wont take at all.
I would love a stock rom dump so i can get this thing working.. I tried the link but it appears to be dead.
THANKS!!!!

shaunmt
05-05-2014, 04:06 PM
---------------------------------------
do you still have that rom dump? my nx007hd8g is stck and the modified rom wont take at all.
I would love a stock rom dump so i can get this thing working.. I tried the link but it appears to be dead.
THANKS!!!!

What is wrong with your NX007HD8G? Is it totally bricked or just bootlooping?

It sounds like you are still able to get to recovery?

Have you tried the ROM from the page linked below? It's a pure stock ROM dumped from my own tablet.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8077-Amlogic-Next8HD8G-%28NX007HD8G%29-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root&p=111795#post111795 (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8077-Amlogic-Next8HD8G-%28NX007HD8G%29-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root&p=111795#post111795)

ShaunMT

jharrison
05-06-2014, 07:34 PM

Have you tried the ROM from the page linked below? It's a pure stock ROM dumped from my own tablet.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8077-Amlogic-Next8HD8G-%28NX007HD8G%29-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root&p=111795#post111795 (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8077-Amlogic-Next8HD8G-%28NX007HD8G%29-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root&p=111795#post111795)

ShaunMT

I did try it with your modified recovery, the stock recovery and a cwm recovery for the nx008hd I found on here. It aborts on installation on all of them. I can't get it to finish even sending update.zip via adv. It gets stuck at the boot animation and won't go any further, and when I recover with no SD, there isn't any update.zip to be found internally. I figured maybe a stock ROM signed with next book permissions might work. Next book doesn't have them. Your modified stock has everything I need but is signed with Google test keys and I think that might be halting installation. Any help would be great, I have a 75 dollar paperweight right now haha. BTW, I replaced with a sero 7 pro, and it is badd ass. Check em out.
Thanks again , two brains are better than one!

shaunmt
05-07-2014, 03:24 AM
I did try it with your modified recovery, the stock recovery and a cwm recovery for the nx008hd I found on here. It aborts on installation on all of them. I can't get it to finish even sending update.zip via adv. It gets stuck at the boot animation and won't go any further, and when I recover with no SD, there isn't any update.zip to be found internally. I figured maybe a stock ROM signed with next book permissions might work. Next book doesn't have them. Your modified stock has everything I need but is signed with Google test keys and I think that might be halting installation. Any help would be great, I have a 75 dollar paperweight right now haha. BTW, I replaced with a sero 7 pro, and it is badd ass. Check em out.
Thanks again , two brains are better than one!

Stock recovery will not install anything that wasn't released by Nextbook.

The modified recovery will install anything that is signed with Google test keys.

CWM / TWRP will install anything at all, signed or not, but you should use one designed for your device because recovery contains a kernel with a device specific partition map.

If the installation is aborting, you are probably doing something wrong. What does it say on the screen when the installation aborts? Even better, post a picture of the screen at the end of the install.

PangOS
05-11-2014, 10:57 AM
I had this tablet bootlooping and almost have success in having it repaired.

Using your dump listed below it almost works, but the drivers for the radios don't seem to be correct.

No WiFi or bluetooth.

Flashing another package I found somewhere around here... "Next8HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_070113"
gave me working Radios, but incorrect screen rotation / function.

How is it possible for me to combine the two? Replacing the correct drivers in the package before flashing?

ShaunMT

shaunmt
05-11-2014, 04:54 PM
I had this tablet bootlooping and almost have success in having it repaired.

Using your dump listed below it almost works, but the drivers for the radios don't seem to be correct.

No WiFi or bluetooth.

Flashing another package I found somewhere around here... "Next8HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_070113"
gave me working Radios, but incorrect screen rotation / function.

How is it possible for me to combine the two? Replacing the correct drivers in the package before flashing?

What model do you even have? You're posting in a thread about the Next7HD8G, but you indicated you've tried ROMs for the Next8HD8G which isn't even the same size...

ShaunMT

PangOS
05-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Yeah, Silly me...

I have the NX007HD

Which as I indicated after trying the ROM for the NX007HD8HD in this thread, the Radios didn't work.

So thinking I couldn't really totally brick it by trying something else, I tried the ROM "Next8HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom" from in this thread which made the Radios work fine however the screen was not working properly, rotation didn't work properly and about half the screen was not viewable and of course not touch functional in either portrait or landscape mode.

What model do you even have? You're posting in a thread about the Next7HD8G, but you indicated you've tried ROMs for the Next8HD8G which isn't even the same size...

ShaunMT

shaunmt
05-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Yeah, Silly me...

I have the NX007HD

Which as I indicated after trying the ROM for the NX007HD8HD in this thread, the Radios didn't work.

So thinking I couldn't really totally brick it by trying something else, I tried the ROM "Next8HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom" from in this thread which made the Radios work fine however the screen was not working properly, rotation didn't work properly and about half the screen was not viewable and of course not touch functional in either portrait or landscape mode.

I've only got an August and October build date for the NX007HD8G... both use the same wifi driver...

What is your manufacture date or serial number?

I wonder if Nextbook made two different versions of the NX007HD8G like they did with the NX008HD8G and the Next7P12-8G? If that's the case, I probably won't be able to make a fully working ROM without a dump of the correct stock ROM.

ShaunMT

PangOS
05-11-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm guessing somehow it is a later version, since the drivers from the 008 package works.

All I can find is the model no. printed on the back of the unit.

NX007HD
FCC ID: S7JNX007HD

However, is there some way I can replace the drivers using the ones that are working from the NX008HD package?

Edit: The one I downloaded seems to be the August build "Next7HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_081213-signed"?

Can I be directed to the other one - October.

Just for me to try?

Or....Just the drivers from the Next8HD package as a flashable zip.

I've only got an August and October build date for the NX007HD8G... both use the same wifi driver...

What is your manufacture date or serial number?

I wonder if Nextbook made two different versions of the NX007HD8G like they did with the NX008HD8G and the Next7P12-8G? If that's the case, I probably won't be able to make a fully working ROM without a dump of the correct stock ROM.

ShaunMT

shaunmt
05-11-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm guessing somehow it is a later version, since the drivers from the 008 package works.

All I can find is the model no. printed on the back of the unit.

NX007HD
FCC ID: S7JNX007HD

However, is there some way I can replace the drivers using the ones that are working from the NX008HD package?

Edit: The one I downloaded seems to be the August build "Next7HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_081213-signed"?

Can I be directed to the other one - October.

Just for me to try?

Or....Just the drivers from the Next8HD package as a flashable zip.

Swapping the driver would require rebuilding the boot image, and still not sure everything would work.

It seems like Yifang/Nextbook just switches internal parts whenever they feel like it... not sure if they just buy whatever is cheapest when they run out or what...

The October build hasn't been posted, I'm planning to make a custom version of it soon, but I did check and it uses the same driver as the August version. One of the two 8 inch model versions also uses the same driver.

Which version had the working wifi driver?

ShaunMT

PangOS
05-11-2014, 10:02 PM
The one I downloaded with the working driver is the zip

"Next8HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_070113-signed.zip"

Earlier in this thread.

Swapping the driver would require rebuilding the boot image, and still not sure everything would work.

It seems like Yifang/Nextbook just switches internal parts whenever they feel like it... not sure if they just buy whatever is cheapest when they run out or what...

The October build hasn't been posted, I'm planning to make a custom version of it soon, but I did check and it uses the same driver as the August version. One of the two 8 inch model versions also uses the same driver.

Which version had the working wifi driver?

ShaunMT

shaunmt
05-11-2014, 10:08 PM
The one I downloaded with the working driver is the zip

"Next8HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_070113-signed.zip"

Earlier in this thread.

Figures... that the older version of the 8 inch model from July... they changed it on that model sometime in the middle of August... I bet they changed the 7 inch model at around the same time. It used a DHD wifi chip and all the other versions use an 8188eu wifi chip.

You're the first person I know of to have DHD chip in the 7 inch model. I don't know if I can make a fully working ROM for your version without a copy of the stock ROM or not... I'll have to do some testing on mine to see if maybe I can transfer the files or port something...

I've actually been wondering if I can create support for multiple wifi chips in a single ROM... maybe I'll put together something for you test soon.

ShaunMT

PangOS
05-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Further to this I've found that the screen driver in the 007 Package isn't quite correct either.

Turning it Portrait yields landscape and of course vice versa and inverted.

Do info apps actually poll the hardware? Or just get the information from the rom itself?

Figures... that the older version of the 8 inch model from July... they changed it on that model sometime in the middle of August... I bet they changed the 7 inch model at around the same time. It used a DHD wifi chip and all the other versions use an 8188eu wifi chip.

You're the first person I know of to have DHD chip in the 7 inch model. I don't know if I can make a fully working ROM for your version without a copy of the stock ROM or not... I'll have to do some testing on mine to see if maybe I can transfer the files or port something...

I've actually been wondering if I can create support for multiple wifi chips in a single ROM... maybe I'll put together something for you test soon.

ShaunMT

shaunmt
05-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Further to this I've found that the screen driver in the 007 Package isn't quite correct either.

Turning it Portrait yields landscape and of course vice versa and inverted.

Do info apps actually poll the hardware? Or just get the information from the rom itself?

That's not surprising either... the two different versions of the 8 inch model had different screens and required different versions of the mali and ump graphic drivers...

I'm sure info apps vary, but I suspect most poll the system rather than the hardware directly... and different parts of the system could return different values based on adjustments made by various parts of the system...

the Amlogic source code is a mess to begin with because they use a lot of non standard workarounds and Yifang/Nextbook make it even worse by sloppily porting it from one model to another...

PangOS
05-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Indeed.

First device to ever give me such headaches.

Would greatly help if YiFang/Nextbook provided the roms that were used with each of these.

At least for owners to easily repair instead of being hassled with returns or wanting to throw them away completely.

That's not surprising either... the two different versions of the 8 inch model had different screens and required different versions of the mali and ump graphic drivers...

I'm sure info apps vary, but I suspect most poll the system rather than the hardware directly... and different parts of the system could return different values based on adjustments made by various parts of the system...

the Amlogic source code is a mess to begin with because they use a lot of non standard workarounds and Yifang/Nextbook make it even worse by sloppily porting it from one model to another...

shaunmt
05-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Indeed.

First device to ever give me such headaches.

Would greatly help if YiFang/Nextbook provided the roms that were used with each of these.

At least for owners to easily repair instead of being hassled with returns or wanting to throw them away completely.

Yes it would... from what I've seen they update their ROMs often... identical devices ship with multiple different ROM build versions... yet they never release the updates for current owners... they advertise over the air updates now, but still no post purchase support at all...

They don't even accept warranty returns anymore... their website now says to return products to the retailer for warranty claims... which must work out pretty well for them now that they seem to be partnered with wal mart who won't accept a return after 15 days unless you pay an extra 30 or 40 % for an extended return period.

MoeFoh
05-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Is it possible PangOS has one of these sold by Newegg?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834106007R

ShauntMT: Any progress on TWRP for this model? You downloaded the files I put up a few days ago. (build.prop, boot.img, recovery)

This thread has more discussions on the two models.
http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8078-Amlogic-Next7HD8G-(NX007HD8G)-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root

Zip file I made comparing the two models:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9ij6s59deuseo7/NB-BuildInfo.zip

MoeFoh

shaunmt
05-13-2014, 01:06 PM

That is the same tablet I have, but I suspect Yifang/Nextbook made two different versions of it like they did with the 8 inch version of it.

ShauntMT: Any progress on TWRP for this model? You downloaded the files I put up a few days ago. (build.prop, boot.img, recovery)

I think I messaged you... I need to know what the resolution your model is for the TWRP display layout, and I appreciate a full firmware dump to add to to my collection.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8078-Amlogic-Next7HD8G-(NX007HD8G)-Modified-Recovery-Stock-Rom-amp-Flashable-Root

The NX007HD and NX007HD8G are the same thing. Mine is referenced both ways in it's stock build.prop file. Again... I suspect they mode two different versions of it...

And this is what I've been looking for...

The older version has a build date of Sat Apr 27 22:15:21 CST 2013 for board name NXM7000ND_YFUSA

The newer version has a build date of Thu Oct 10 23:10:36 CST 2013 for board name NXM7000NBD_WMN.

I only have ROMs for the NXM7000NBD_WMN... does anyone have a full ROM dump from a NXM7000ND_YFUSA?

MoeFoh
05-13-2014, 01:35 PM
1024 by 552
160 DPI
60 Hz refresh

I can work on a ROM dump from my NXM7000ND_YFUSA, but it is far from STOCK ROM.
It's rooted, bloatware and live wallpapers have been removed. Google updates have been integrated in ROM (Play Store, Services, Search, TTS). Superuser.apk has been converted to a system app. But, it's better than nothing.

MoeFoh

PangOS
05-13-2014, 01:50 PM
By looking at the specs, it almost seems I can say that this is the one I have.

But since ShauntMT says otherwise.

The drivers for Wifi, BT and sound from the zip "Next8HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_070113-signed" work for my NX007, while what is in the NX007 zip from Next8HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_070113-signed does not.

MoeFoh

MoeFoh
05-13-2014, 01:59 PM
By looking at the specs, it almost seems I can say that this is the one I have.

But since ShauntMT says otherwise.

The drivers for Wifi, BT and sound from the zip "Next8HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_070113-signed" work for my NX007, while what is in the NX007 zip from Next8HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_070113-signed does not.

You have Bluetooth? How?

PangOS
05-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Ok, sorry. I probably don't have bluetooth.

Forgive me if I'm a bit confused. What I meant to say is the drivers for WiFi and sound in the NX008 zip works on my NX007 whereas the ones in the 007 Zip don't work.

Hey, I just remembered I have a partial backup of the original, the TWRP saved it as "system.ubifs.win" how can I restore this? Do I have to place it in a .zip?

You have Bluetooth? How?

MoeFoh
05-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Ok, sorry. I probably don't have bluetooth.

Forgive me if I'm a bit confused. What I meant to say is the drivers for WiFi and sound in the NX008 zip works on my NX007 whereas the ones in the 007 Zip don't work.

Hey, I just remembered I have a partial backup of the original, the TWRP saved it as "system.ubifs.win" how can I restore this? Do I have to place it in a .zip?

ShaunMT is working on a TWRP version for the older model. You would be the ideal tester. Use the RESTORE option (not the INSTALL option) to restore /system.

MoeFoh

shaunmt
05-13-2014, 03:42 PM
ShaunMT is working on a TWRP version for the older model. You would be the ideal tester. Use the RESTORE option (not the INSTALL option) to restore /system.

MoeFoh

Yeah... we identified the two different models... should be able to make new ROMs for both.

ShaunMT

shaunmt
05-13-2014, 03:47 PM
1024 by 552
160 DPI
60 Hz refresh

I can work on a ROM dump from my NXM7000ND_YFUSA, but it is far from STOCK ROM.
It's rooted, bloatware and live wallpapers have been removed. Google updates have been integrated in ROM (Play Store, Services, Search, TTS). Superuser.apk has been converted to a system app. But, it's better than nothing.

MoeFoh

Yeah upload everything you've got and I'll make it work one way or another.

PangOS
05-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Oh, my original build.prop

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2ef4viyuuvqvda/build.prop

Yeah upload everything you've got and I'll make it work one way or another.

MoeFoh
05-13-2014, 05:31 PM
Oh, my original build.prop

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2ef4viyuuvqvda/build.prop

You've got the newer/board model. Aug. 2013 build. I wonder why TWRP and the stock rom did not work? Maybe some wiping is needed.

shaunmt
05-13-2014, 05:35 PM
You've got the newer/board model. Aug. 2013 build. I wonder why TWRP and the stock rom did not work? Maybe some wiping is needed.

Or maybe that's not really his original build.prop.

MoeFoh
05-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Or maybe that's not really his original build.prop.

Maybe PangOS should try the upcoming TWRP and the new ROM I just uploaded? Seems like a good test to me. ShaunMT, check your private e-mail for download link.

MoeFoh

PangOS
05-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Yes, it may be quite possible that I may have mixed things up and it is indeed NOT my original build.prop.

Could I please get a link to download this new ROM?

Thanks

Maybe PangOS should try the upcoming TWRP and the new ROM I just uploaded? Seems like a good test to me. ShaunMT, check your private e-mail for download link.

MoeFoh

shaunmt
05-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Yes, it may be quite possible that I may have mixed things up and it is indeed NOT my original build.prop.

Could I please get a link to download this new ROM?

Thanks

I haven't had a chance to get to it yet... I'll post it when I do.

ShaunMT

PangOS
05-24-2014, 06:58 AM
I've been trying all sorts, since this tablet was borrowed from someone and while it was under my home's care it stopped working properly.

So far the package 'Next7HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_081213-signed' gives me a semi usable tablet that rooted easily with Impactor :HBANG

No Sound, No WiFi, and the orientation rotations are quite opposite.:mad:

The other, 'Next8HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_070113-signed' gives me sound & WiFi, :BACON

screen size is bigger than the actual tablet but orientation rotation seems to be ok. :BANG

There must be a way I can get drivers that work, place them in the correct package and flash that.

A bit familiar with Linux usually but this is foreign to me.

Trying to find somewhere I can find more info on what I want to achieve,

Before having to replace the tablet for the owner.:DOH

I haven't had a chance to get to it yet... I'll post it when I do.

ShaunMT

shaunmt
05-24-2014, 05:45 PM
I've been trying all sorts, since this tablet was borrowed from someone and while it was under my home's care it stopped working properly.

So far the package 'Next7HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_081213-signed' gives me a semi usable tablet that rooted easily with Impactor :HBANG

No Sound, No WiFi, and the orientation rotations are quite opposite.:mad:

The other, 'Next8HD8G_SMT_Stock_Rom_070113-signed' gives me sound & WiFi, :BACON

screen size is bigger than the actual tablet but orientation rotation seems to be ok. :BANG

There must be a way I can get drivers that work, place them in the correct package and flash that.

A bit familiar with Linux usually but this is foreign to me.

Trying to find somewhere I can find more info on what I want to achieve,

Before having to replace the tablet for the owner.:DOH

I think we have identified that there was slightly different hardware version of this model (like there was with the 8 inch version). I may have a different ROM version soon that may work for you.

ShaunMT

PangOS
05-30-2014, 04:05 PM
So I had to end up paying the original owner for it. They provided me with the box which states Manufactured June 2013.

Item: NX007HD8G
S/N: YFG0613035084

Edit: Also, before I flashed anything, I used the TWRP recovery to make a backup.

After trying to restore the backup now, TWRP reports successful restore but there is no splash screen when I power on, just black screen.

I don't know what happened.

** How about loading kernel modules for the WiFi and Sound into the already running kernel either via adb or term emu??

Only other idea I can come up with for now. Will probably have a go at that later.

I think we have identified that there was slightly different hardware version of this model (like there was with the 8 inch version). I may have a different ROM version soon that may work for you.

ShaunMT

PangOS
06-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Edit: So in between other things I haven't had the time to work on it that much, but came across an idea...

Decided to go about changing the resolution of the screen to the native resolution for the 7 inch, 600x1024.

This yielded very good results. Although the Auto orientation switch does not work as it should exactly, I can easily lock it after it's switched.

I will do some more customizations later tonight when I get the time, like adding the resolution change command to init.rc so it does it auto on startup.

It's almost perfect!!
:cool:

Thanks for you guys assisting me as well. Hope we get to further help others

So I had to end up paying the original owner for it. They provided me with the box which states Manufactured June 2013.

Item: NX007HD8G
S/N: YFG0613035084

Edit: Also, before I flashed anything, I used the TWRP recovery to make a backup.

After trying to restore the backup now, TWRP reports successful restore but there is no splash screen when I power on, just black screen.

I don't know what happened.

** How about loading kernel modules for the WiFi and Sound into the already running kernel either via adb or term emu??

Only other idea I can come up with for now. Will probably have a go at that later.

PangOS
06-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Omg!! Did the thread die??

*Bump*

Edit: So in between other things I haven't had the time to work on it that much, but came across an idea...

Decided to go about changing the resolution of the screen to the native resolution for the 7 inch, 600x1024.

This yielded very good results. Although the Auto orientation switch does not work as it should exactly, I can easily lock it after it's switched.

I will do some more customizations later tonight when I get the time, like adding the resolution change command to init.rc so it does it auto on startup.

It's almost perfect!!
:cool:

Thanks for you guys assisting me as well. Hope we get to further help others

shaunmt
06-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Omg!! Did the thread die??

*Bump*

I'm still here... I just haven't had time to work on this model...

coolesst1
06-28-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm still here... I just haven't had time to work on this model...
Could you please help me root nx007hd8g...? I really want android 4.4 kitkat on my tablet but i'm stuck with 4.1.1. :BANG

PS: i'm a complete n00b at rooting and i don't know what a ROM dump or flashing a ROM is....0
Thanks in advance :)

shaunmt
06-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Could you please help me root nx007hd8g...? I really want android 4.4 kitkat on my tablet but i'm stuck with 4.1.1. :BANG

PS: i'm a complete n00b at rooting and i don't know what a ROM dump or flashing a ROM is....0

Look here in the forums and you'll find a version of TWRP recovery that I made for your tablet.

Then you can either root with my kyser.zip root package (also here in the forums) or via Cydia Impactor (google it).

I wouldn't count on getting any newer Android versions for this tablet... at least not anytime soon...

ShaunMT

coolesst1
06-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Look here in the forums and you'll find a version of TWRP recovery that I made for your tablet.

Then you can either root with my kyser.zip root package (also here in the forums) or via Cydia Impactor (google it).

I wouldn't count on getting any newer Android versions for this tablet... at least not anytime soon...

ShaunMT
Thanks, in that case i'll wait a bit longer for an ota update if not i'll root it...what really upsets me is that nextbook recently released a new tablet and they are already saying it's going to be updated in a month.. It's been several months since the nextbook 7 hd released :mad:.

shaunmt
06-30-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks, in that case i'll wait a bit longer for an ota update if not i'll root it...what really upsets me is that nextbook recently released a new tablet and they are already saying it's going to be updated in a month.. It's been several months since the nextbook 7 hd released :mad:.

I think it's pretty safe to say that you won't see any updates for this model.

Nextbook hasn't released any updates since late 2011 or 2012, for models produced in 2011, and I believe this was to fix an issue in which included apps that were specifically advertised were not working.

Nextbook never released any firmware updates for any of their Amlogic based tablets and has since switched back to RockChip based hardware.

I doubt that the parent company and manufacturer (Yifang Digital) is even developing for the Amlogic M3/M6/MX platform any longer. They sold these devices under a variety of different brand names in different companies, but I've never found any of these devices to get anything newer than Android 4.1.1.

The only hope for these devices will be bulding from source (requires creating a source code device tree from scratch) or porting a custom ROM from another device (requires finding a similar device, with a custom ROM built from source available, and lots of testing to successfully port without any bugs).

I've gotten close to building or porting for some of these devices, but nothing stable enough to release yet and I'm not sure if I'll ever have enough time to devote to it with newer devices coming out all the time.

coolesst1
07-01-2014, 01:39 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say that you won't see any updates for this model.

Nextbook hasn't released any updates since late 2011 or 2012, for models produced in 2011, and I believe this was to fix an issue in which included apps that were specifically advertised were not working.

Nextbook never released any firmware updates for any of their Amlogic based tablets and has since switched back to RockChip based hardware.

I doubt that the parent company and manufacturer (Yifang Digital) is even developing for the Amlogic M3/M6/MX platform any longer. They sold these devices under a variety of different brand names in different companies, but I've never found any of these devices to get anything newer than Android 4.1.1.

The only hope for these devices will be bulding from source (requires creating a source code device tree from scratch) or porting a custom ROM from another device (requires finding a similar device, with a custom ROM built from source available, and lots of testing to successfully port without any bugs).

I've gotten close to building or porting for some of these devices, but nothing stable enough to release yet and I'm not sure if I'll ever have enough time to devote to it with newer devices coming out all the time.
alrighty then guess ill root it...ill just be searching around for things to do:):):)

PangOS
07-02-2014, 03:14 PM
I strongly suggest that you find out how to do a ROM Dump / Backup before trying anything else.

Cydia Impactor seems to work perfectly for rooting these tablets with just one click.

It worked for me every time that is...

coolesst1
07-02-2014, 09:29 PM
I strongly suggest that you find out how to do a ROM Dump / Backup before trying anything else.

Cydia Impactor seems to work perfectly for rooting these tablets with just one click.

It worked for me every time that is...
alright , I will thanks for the info