PDA

View Full Version : Pipo M6 4.2.2 RileyROM 1.7 [SDK 2.0]

rrileypm
08-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Pipo has published a bunch of updates in the last couple of days, and I'm glad to announce a new RileyROM for the M6!!!!!!

This ROM is based on the official update on the Pipo site dated 8/21/13.

As always, this ROM is:

Rooted
Debloated
English Default
Init.d Support
Busybox commands added
CWM Recovery included in the ROM kit
tun.ko added for VPN support

Flash Tool by Finless
Boot Animation by Tattman65
Reboot App by Petrus

Included in the kit is a template you can make your own CWM flashable ROM for future flashes of THIS ROM ONLY, if you desire. You can't update to a different ROM using this method, though...too much is different between ROMs.

Here is the download link:

3G Version (http://www.freak-tab.de/rrileypm/Pipo_M6_3g_4.2.2_RileyROM_1.7.zip)

Wifi Version (http://www.freak-tab.de/rrileypm/Pipo_M6_wifi_4.2.2_RileyROM_1.7.zip)

Enjoy!!!!!!

If this ROM makes a difference for you, please consider a donation to support future RileyROM's here at Freaktab.com Donate!!! (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=rrileypm%40hotmail%2ecom&lc=US&item_name=rrileypm&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_LG%2egif%3aNonHos ted) Through your donations, I was able to buy a new laptop to create ROMs on...better than what I had before...so I really do appreciate it!!!!!!!!!

claro966
08-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Thank You Randy!

Let's try :cool:

Batfink32
08-21-2013, 01:25 PM
I think this may be the best ROM so far.Everything seems smooth and snappy.Seems good.

Sent from my Firefly V65 using Tapatalk 4

gur
08-21-2013, 01:48 PM
I think this may be the best ROM so far.Everything seems smooth and snappy.Seems good.

Sent from my Firefly V65 using Tapatalk 4

Is it better than 1.5 rileyrom indeed in terms of lagginess? Is it real SDK2.0?

Batfink32
08-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Is it better than 1.5 rileyrom indeed in terms of lagginess? Is it real SDK2.0?

I think it is although it may just be placebo.It says SDK 1 in the build prop.

kyrliot
08-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Hello guys, is this a multi-windows version with sdk 2.0 or not yet...

gur
08-21-2013, 02:20 PM
I think it is although it may just be placebo.It says SDK 1 in the build prop.

1.6fw was for sure sdk1.0 than why label this as 2.0? I do beleive worse sdk2.0 would be snappier than best 1.0? Any good comparison so far with fw1.5? Also no multiwindow I guess? Or am I wrong?

Batfink32
08-21-2013, 02:41 PM
1.6fw was for sure sdk1.0 than why label this as 2.0? I do beleive worse sdk2.0 would be snappier than best 1.0? Any good comparison so far with fw1.5? Also no multiwindow I guess? Or am I wrong?

No, there no mulriwindows. I'm certain fo r me 1.7 is the snappiest ROM so far.

Sent from my M6 using Tapatalk 4

mdsinger
08-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Is this based on an official release or a beta?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

rrileypm
08-21-2013, 06:13 PM
This came off of the official Pipo site.

Randy

freaksa
08-21-2013, 06:35 PM
I think I'll flash just the kernel.
Edit:
Let us know if anybody flashed via CWM or just kernel.

Mobius7
08-22-2013, 05:00 AM
I've tried to connect to server by OpenVpn, but it failed.
It seems like tun.ko doesn't works properly.
————
- On some ICS images the permissoions on /dev/tun might be wrong, or the tun module might be missing completely.
- Cannot open TUN
- Exiting due fatal error
————-
It seems like tun.ko module is not loaded in kernel.

rrileypm
08-22-2013, 07:09 AM
I think I added it to the lib/modules folder. Maybe I need an updated ko.

Randy

pradipsoman
08-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Randy, my humble inference on 1.7:

This version is better than the last official version, but does not beat 1.5 with 1.6 kernel combo :)
And for those who need it...here is a solution to swap the External and Internal SD cards so that every time we flash a ROM the Android/data files need not be re-written. Edit etc/vold.fstab, change 2 lines from

dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard (http://www.ebay.com/sch/Consumer-Electronics-/293/i.html?_nkw=sdcard) auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0

to

dev_mount flash /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
dev_mount sdcard (http://www.ebay.com/sch/Consumer-Electronics-/293/i.html?_nkw=sdcard) /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0

save and reboot....

This way the Andriod/data remains in the External SD card.

gur
08-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Randy, my humble inference on 1.7:

This version is better than the last official version, but does not beat 1.5 with 1.6 kernel combo :)

Most probably because its sdk 1.0 not 2.0 and why pipo guys insist this is 2.0 sdk I don't know.. Although I still did not try what about 1.5 system with 1.7 fw kernel vs 1.5 with 1.6 kernel?

freaksa
08-22-2013, 09:37 AM
I've tried to connect to server by OpenVpn, but it failed.
It seems like tun.ko doesn't works properly.
————
- On some ICS images the permissoions on /dev/tun might be wrong, or the tun module might be missing completely.
- Cannot open TUN
- Exiting due fatal error
————-
It seems like tun.ko module is not loaded in kernel.

Here is a link to VPNGate.net. Just follow the guide on setting-up for android.http://www.strongvpn.com/setup_android_open.shtml (http://www.vpngate.net/en/howto_openvpn.aspx)
Get the server; openvpn profiles here: http://www.vpngate.net/en/

Mobius7
08-22-2013, 09:48 AM
I think I added it to the lib/modules folder. Maybe I need an updated ko.

Randy

Yes, you added, but didn't loaded to kernel.
I loaded it manually (insmod /system/lib/modules/tun.ko) and everything work.
How I can load this module automatically on start tablet?

Batfink32
08-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Strange,I'm definitely finding 1.7 the smoothest.

CiR3
08-22-2013, 12:50 PM
I flashed the Rom via cwm. No problems at all. I just had ti Reformation my internal SD card. Looking forward to the next release which will hopefully include multi window functionality. Thanks Randy for debloating and releasing.

freaksa
08-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Here is the guide on How to go to Recovery Mode and Flash Mode. This assumes your device is switched off.

1.To Go to Recovery Mode: Press Vol+, Esc, and Pwr buttons all at the same time(start with Vol+, Esc, and Pwr). Release Vol+ when Linux logo appears. Use Vol+- to navigate and Pwr button to enter selection.

2. To Go to Flash Mode: Open RKBatchTool or RKAndroidTool or ROM_Flash_Tool_137 depending on which one you are going to use for flashing. Press Vol+ button first then Pwr button. Wait until drivers are loaded. At this time if drivers were loaded then the button on RKBatchTool would be green; ready to flash. On RKAndroidTool the status message becomes Found RKAndroid rock Loader usb. You can now proceed to flash your device. Otherwise, you may need to load the drivers.

captkronos
08-23-2013, 12:33 AM
Hello guys, is this a multi-windows version with sdk 2.0 or not yet...
It's being reported here (http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/69754-pipo-m6/page__view__findpost__p__1008193) that a multi window version of the ROM will be released in the next 20 days.

captkronos
08-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Here's the changelog for the official 2013_08_21 ROM as translated from Chinese by Google

M6 3G version of the firmware upgrade
0814 Updated Optimization:
1, modify the authentication prompt Hu Chi APK error code
2, adding a restart shutdown menu
3, camera mode increases a "Video Quality" option
4, charging into a shutdown state only show charging icon does not automatically enter the system
5, for Speaker after speaker about the new sound reduction

And here it is using Bing:

M6 version upgrade firmware
0814 update optimizations:
1, modify the APK express potassium dehydroandrograpolide succinate validation prompts an error code
2, add a restart on shutdown menu
3, camera mode to add a "video quality" option
4, shutdown charge changed to only display the charging icon is not automatically entered by the system
5, around lower after new trumpet Horn sound

(Bing does an excellent job of interpreting Hu Chi.)

Not sure what some of the entries mean but #3 sounds interesting. Anyone who has upgraded noticed any difference in camera quality?

freaksa
08-23-2013, 01:45 AM
I flashed the Rom via cwm. No problems at all. I just had ti Reformation my internal SD card. Looking forward to the next release which will hopefully include multi window functionality. Thanks Randy for debloating and releasing.
Thanks for letting us know that it is okay to flash ROM via CWM recovery.

gur
08-23-2013, 02:08 AM
Thanks for letting us know that it is okay to flash ROM via CWM recovery.
Any more comments on lagginess 1.5fw vs 1.7fw?

elephraim
08-23-2013, 03:01 AM
Hi, guys, anyone try out 1.7 system with 1.6 kernel

pradipsoman
08-23-2013, 05:26 AM
Hi, guys, anyone try out 1.7 system with 1.6 kernel

1.5 with 1.6 kernel: Excellent..the best so far
1.6 with 1.6.........: Bad
1.7 with 1.7......... : Good but not as good as 1.5 with 1.6 kernel
1.7 with 1.6 kernel: ???? (Will try soon)

pulsar123
08-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Here's the changelog for the official 2013_08_21 ROM as translated from Chinese by Google

M6 3G version of the firmware upgrade
0814 Updated Optimization:
1, modify the authentication prompt Hu Chi APK error code
2, adding a restart shutdown menu
3, camera mode increases a "Video Quality" option
4, charging into a shutdown state only show charging icon does not automatically enter the system
5, for Speaker after speaker about the new sound reduction

And here it is using Bing:

M6 version upgrade firmware
0814 update optimizations:
1, modify the APK express potassium dehydroandrograpolide succinate validation prompts an error code
2, add a restart on shutdown menu
3, camera mode to add a "video quality" option
4, shutdown charge changed to only display the charging icon is not automatically entered by the system
5, around lower after new trumpet Horn sound

(Bing does an excellent job of interpreting Hu Chi.)

Not sure what some of the entries mean but #3 sounds interesting. Anyone who has upgraded noticed any difference in camera quality?

Thanks for posting. So it sounds like mostly bad news to me - "new sound reduction" is probably their stupid way of fixing the mechanical speaker imbalance - which I already fixed physically, by opening up the tablet and removing the sound blocking pieces of plastic under both speakers (http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fixing-low-speaker-volume-pipo-m6-chinese-retina-tablet-1368411/). Meaning now my right speaker will have a lower volume, because of Pipo's "fix". I'll have to figure out how to "fix it back" - there must be settings somewhere which dictate each speaker maximum volume. I couldn't find it so far. I tried /etc/asound.conf - it does have speaker volume settings, but it didn't change anything for me, so it must be somewhere else.

Also, how about "charging into a shutdown state only" - it sounds like I won't be able to use the tablet while charging? Can anyone who flashed 1.7 confirm that?

chiefstobs
08-23-2013, 06:05 AM
Thanks for posting. So it sounds like mostly bad news to me - "new sound reduction" is probably their stupid way of fixing the mechanical speaker imbalance - which I already fixed physically, by opening up the tablet and removing the sound blocking pieces of plastic under both speakers (http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fixing-low-speaker-volume-pipo-m6-chinese-retina-tablet-1368411/). Meaning now my right speaker will have a lower volume, because of Pipo's "fix". I'll have to figure out how to "fix it back" - there must be settings somewhere which dictate each speaker maximum volume. I couldn't find it so far. I tried /etc/asound.conf - it does have speaker volume settings, but it didn't change anything for me, so it must be somewhere else.

Also, how about "charging into a shutdown state only" - it sounds like I won't be able to use the tablet while charging? Can anyone who flashed 1.7 confirm that?

I boost the volume on 1.6 Rom with 1.5 Kernel with the Tool "Viper4AndroidFX", the stock max. volume of this tablet is terrible and way to low. With this tool it is acceptable. I will try your hardware modification. Seems a good way of boosting volume.

Also, i think that with the new firmware, one can charge the tablet while it is off, and it won't start automatically which is a very good thing i assume! Always hated that about Pipo tablets.

elephraim
08-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks for postin.............

Pipo no longer start automatically when charge (when tablet is in shutdown state)..... Its a good thing though i don't ever recall shuting down before charging (coz, there's always a little bit of juice left)

elephraim
08-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Thanks fospeakern.............

Pipo no longer start automatically when charge (when tablet is in shutdown state)..... Its a good thing though i don't ever recall shuting down before charging (coz, there's always a little bit of juice left)

BTW I've also open mine and fix the speaker (i used to pump up the volume using viper4android but the speaker get heated quickly when volume is loud) thankz to u, it doesn't get hot anymore..... But now i think the left speaker is louder than the right!
PS: heating the knife/cutter while cutting make it super easy to cut as per your desire.... but be careful not to overdo it.... Mine doesn't even have a hole below the right speaker, have to cut a new hole, probably factory fault, it must be why it used to get heated frequently when played with louder volume

pulsar123
08-23-2013, 07:42 AM

BTW I've also open mine and fix the speaker (i used to pump up the volume using viper4android but the speaker get heated quickly when volume is loud) thankz to u, it doesn't get hot anymore..... But now i think the left speaker is louder than the right!

Exactly: once you fix the speakers defect physically, all the newest ROMs will have the opposite problem, with the right speaker having lower volume. I will try to figure out what exactly Pipo change to do the "fix" (I'll diff the filesystems between an older and newer ROMs.)

elephraim
08-23-2013, 07:44 AM
I boost the volume on 1.6 Rom with 1.5 Kernel with the Tool "Viper4AndroidFX", the stock max. volume of this tablet is terrible and way to low. With this tool it is acceptable. I will try your hardware modification. Seems a good way of boosting volume.

Also, i think that with the new firmware, one can charge the tablet while it is off, and it won't start automatically which is a very good thing i assume! Always hated that about Pipo tablets.
I'm currently on 1.5 system with 1.6 kernel its pretty snappy how's yours, never heard of 1.6 with 1.5 kernel

elephraim
08-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Exactly: once you fix thel.........akers defect physically, all the newest ROMs will have the opposite problem, with the right speaker having lower volume. I will try to figure out what exactly Pipo change to do the "fix" (I'll diff the filesystems between an older and newer ROMs.)

Pls.. post about it when you figure it out... :DONTKNOW

pulsar123
08-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Pls.. post about it when you figure it out... :DONTKNOW

I think we are in a pickle here: I diff'ed the whole filesystems of Riley 1.4 vs. 1.7, and didn't see any changes in configuration files related to audio. I did see a bunch of audio related dynamic libraries (*.so extension) differences, e.g.:

Files /mnt/1.4/lib/hw/audio.primary.default.so and /mnt/1.7/lib/hw/audio.primary.default.so differ
Files /mnt/1.4/lib/hw/alsa.audio_policy.rk30board.so and /mnt/1.7/lib/hw/alsa.audio_policy.rk30board.so differ

and so on (many more).

If true that the Pipo's spekaer imbalance "fix" is hard-coded into one of these libraries, than we are in a hard situation - first, it'll be hard to figure out which one is responsible (by copying old libraries over new ones, one at a time, and then rebooting the tablet), and second - sooner or later the old libraries will not work in the newer ROMs, because of the missing dependencies.

Does anyone knows more about the audio system in these Android tablets? I am still confused - it does use a bunch of Alsa binaries (Alsa is a standard sound system on Linux machines, like in my workstation at work), but changes to /etc/asound.conf (the standard way to configure ALsa under Linux) do nothing.

Correction: I only diff'ed system.img contents. Perhaps the Pipo's fix in in another image - kernel, misc?

gur
08-24-2013, 06:36 AM
If they made such a setup to balance the sound than original m6 audio level will be so low.. are they crazy?

mauriga
08-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Two questions before flash my Pipo (i'm a real newbye):
1) is this ROM also for max-M6? Or only for M6?
2) will I loose italian language if i install this ROM?

tnx in advance for ur answers

mau----

vjbeltran
08-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Sir riley, it's not that i don't want your rom. it was actually the best so far for pipo m6. two things that i want to suggest is if possible make a nexus splashscreen and google play edition boot animation. i think you wont be needing to flash your name on the rom because you already the one and only creator of pipo m6 roms.

rrileypm
08-24-2013, 08:26 AM

mau----

Luckily there is only ONE version of the M6...which is officially the Max M6. I've just shortened it. So your device is correct for this ROM.

Italian is among the languages you can choose from in settings. I change from Chinese to English so people can at least find the language settings easier so they can change to their native language...I don't know if this is "PC" or not, but I think English is easier than Chinese to read at least enough to tell what the settings are. I could pick any language...but since I live in the USA...I choose US English.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!

freaksa
08-24-2013, 08:31 AM

mau----
Edit: Answered in previous post.

pulsar123
08-24-2013, 09:02 AM
If they made such a setup to balance the sound than original m6 audio level will be so low.. are they crazy?

I am sure that's what Pipo did - I heard many people who said "the newest ROM fixed the speaker balance" also said "the overall volume became even lower". You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that they simply lowered down the volume of the right speaker by a factor of 2-3, to fix the physical imbalance.

I am thinking of writing to Pipo to ask to provide users the means to choose which balance to use - those who didn't do the physical mode would use a "fixed" balance, people like myself who did fix the tablet whould be able to revert to the original (flat) balance. It could be made as a tiny app, with just two selectable options.

jxu000
08-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Noob question... I just got the device and want to flash it to this ROM right away... however I get this error when I try to reboot to flash at the beginning of the process

http://i43.tinypic.com/1zoyvkp.png

"device can not do switch, because of no drive"

I'm on Windows 8, the tablet was just opened out of the box, usb debugging off, windows automatic driver update off... I tried searching this error on Google and these forums but didn't find anything

any help is appreciated. thanks

rrileypm
08-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Many of us have run into this on Windows, lately.

I think I explained this in another thread...but here goes again.

There are several ways to get your tablet into flash mode...the easiest way, however, is through the flash tool...if it works......

If that doesn't work, you have to do it the manual PITA way.

First, go find a paper clip.

Locate the little reset hole on the back of the tablet.

Have your USB cable plugged in to tablet and PC and the flash tool running. Make sure the flash tool recognizes the tablet in mass storage mode.

Press and hold the "back" button on the tablet.

Then, Click and hold the button inside the reset hole.

Press and hold the "power" button.

Watch the flash tool screen.

When it says "Loader Found", let go of all of the buttons. First release the "back", then "reset", then "power" in that sequence.

Watch to make sure "Loader Found" stays on the screen. (on one device, I had to hold the power button through the whole flashing process...but I think it was a hardware problem...not by design).

Wait about 5-10 seconds before you click Erase IDB.

Then click OK

Then click Flash ROM

Once you have my ROM installed, there is a reboot app that has the option of "rebooting to bootloader". You can use it to flash from then on.

gur
08-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Sir riley, it's not that i don't want your rom. it was actually the best so far for pipo m6. two things that i want to suggest is if possible make a nexus splashscreen and google play edition boot animation. i think you wont be needing to flash your name on the rom because you already the one and only creator of pipo m6 roms.

I was just about to comment on this issue.. pls a simple nice and cool bootscreen riley. This may be a taste issue as well however a simple one with even riley info will be enough.. unfortunately current roms boot screen is really messy.. thanks

gur
08-24-2013, 03:13 PM
I am sure that's what Pipo did - I heard many people who said "the newest ROM fixed the speaker balance" also said "the overall volume became even lower". You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that they simply lowered down the volume of the right speaker by a factor of 2-3, to fix the physical imbalance.

I am thinking of writing to Pipo to ask to provide users the means to choose which balance to use - those who didn't do the physical mode would use a "fixed" balance, people like myself who did fix the tablet whould be able to revert to the original (flat) balance. It could be made as a tiny app, with just two selectable options.

I wish they do this although ı have doubts propably they may fix the hardware issue in the future but sound will be low for our devices.. we have to find a way to fix sound on our own..lets see if some one come up with a solution..

jxu000
08-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Many of us have run into this on Windows, lately.

I think I explained this in another thread...but here goes again.

There are several ways to get your tablet into flash mode...the easiest way, however, is through the flash tool...if it works......

If that doesn't work, you have to do it the manual PITA way.

First, go find a paper clip.

Locate the little reset hole on the back of the tablet.

Have your USB cable plugged in to tablet and PC and the flash tool running. Make sure the flash tool recognizes the tablet in mass storage mode.

Press and hold the "back" button on the tablet.

Then, Click and hold the button inside the reset hole.

Press and hold the "power" button.

Watch the flash tool screen.

When it says "Loader Found", let go of all of the buttons. First release the "back", then "reset", then "power" in that sequence.

Watch to make sure "Loader Found" stays on the screen. (on one device, I had to hold the power button through the whole flashing process...but I think it was a hardware problem...not by design).

Wait about 5-10 seconds before you click Erase IDB.

Then click OK

Then click Flash ROM

Once you have my ROM installed, there is a reboot app that has the option of "rebooting to bootloader". You can use it to flash from then on.
thanks for your help, sorry to make you write it out again, I didn't see your post in another thread. I will try this and report back

rrileypm
08-24-2013, 04:02 PM
You are certainly welcome.

I don't know why...maybe a Windows update for 64bit systems that prevents the ability to switch from the flash tool.

jxu000
08-24-2013, 06:30 PM
You are certainly welcome.

I don't know why...maybe a Windows update for 64bit systems that prevents the ability to switch from the flash tool.
the manual method doesn't seem to be doing anything for me... I'm assuming by "back" button you mean the "esc" button.

flash tool just continues to say "no found" as soon as the reset key is pressed

rrileypm
08-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Try going the other way with the rocker button. I explained the method for what I do with my M8 Pro. It might be a different combination. Just experiment.

You might end up in some other mode...just reset and try something else.

Randy

jxu000
08-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Try going the other way with the rocker button. I explained the method for what I do with my M8 Pro. It might be a different combination. Just experiment.

You might end up in some other mode...just reset and try something else.

Randy
I have tried all the possibilities I can think of, unfortunately I am not very creative... I did discover a hard key method to take a screen shot in the process but no luck with flash mode. hopefully someone with a m6 can chime in

freaksa
08-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Noob question... I just got the device and want to flash it to this ROM right away... however I get this error when I try to reboot to flash at the beginning of the process

I'm on Windows 8, the tablet was just opened out of the box, usb debugging off, windows automatic driver update off... I tried searching this error on Google and these forums but didn't find anything

I've had this message before and it was caused by bad usb cable or connection.

elephraim
08-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Noob question... I just got the dewin8, and want to flash it to this ROM right away... however I get this error when I try to reboot to flash at the beginning of the process

Correction:
I also used to get those message.......... I thought I'm also on win8, but the laptop that i used to flash my device was on win7 (sorry) though i never use finless flash tool before, it might also be probably because of how u install your device driver, i reinstall the driver as per the manual (read me first.pdf) included in riley rom and it work perfectly, and i also use rk batch tool v1.7.

I strongly suggest RK Batch Tool instead of Finless and see if that help

elephraim
08-25-2013, 06:54 AM
I hate to be intrusive but recently i've discover dust under my screen, I'm sure it was never there when i remove the screen guard a few weeks ago. I don't know how the dirt get underneath it, anyone know how to open the screen, do i have to peel it off by force?, or do I have to open the back panel and unscrew the main board?

sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread......:FART

Correction: i just recall that i've recently open my device to fix the speaker and i leave my tab uncover with the back pannel open and the mainboard screw loosen slightly for several minutes and the room was quite dusty.

rrileypm
08-25-2013, 07:37 AM
sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread......:FART

No problem at all, this thread is for ALL THINGS M6!!!!!!!!

We all learn much by other user's experiences. Thanks for sharing!!!!

chiefstobs
08-25-2013, 08:38 AM
I currently run 1.5 rom with 1.6 kernel. i want to keep this constellation for now. how do i flash cwm recovery only without flashing the new 1.7 rom which includes this cwm recovery?

rrileypm
08-25-2013, 10:31 AM
All you need to do is open the flash tool and uncheck all of the boxes except recovery.img and flash just the recovery. I can't remember if I had CWM or Stock Recovery as the default, so you might need to select the correct recovery file you want by clicking the box next to recovery in the flash tool, and browse to the correct file.

If you want the tablet to boot directly into recovery on first boot, also check misc.img...this will tell the device to reboot to recovery.

Don't erase IDB, because you want to keep everything else on your tablet.

I would remove the external SD card, just so it doesn't somehow erase it. Playing around with CWM can erase your external SD if you aren't careful.

Enjoy!!!!!

chiefstobs
08-25-2013, 10:50 AM
All you need to do is open the flash tool and uncheck all of the boxes except recovery.img and flash just the recovery. I can't remember if I had CWM or Stock Recovery as the default, so you might need to select the correct recovery file you want by clicking the box next to recovery in the flash tool, and browse to the correct file.

If you want the tablet to boot directly into recovery on first boot, also check misc.img...this will tell the device to reboot to recovery.

Don't erase IDB, because you want to keep everything else on your tablet.

I would remove the external SD card, just so it doesn't somehow erase it. Playing around with CWM can erase your external SD if you aren't careful.

Enjoy!!!!!

Thank you so much!

freaksa
08-25-2013, 11:02 AM
I currently run 1.5 rom with 1.6 kernel. i want to keep this constellation for now. how do i flash cwm recovery only without flashing the new 1.7 rom which includes this cwm recovery?
Alternatively, you can follow my post on installing CWM. Here you go: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?6339-CWM-for-Pipo-Max-M6

rrileypm
08-25-2013, 11:09 AM
That's a good solution, too. But a little more techy...hahaha!!!!!!:CLAP

chiefstobs
08-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Alternatively, you can follow my post on installing CWM. Here you go: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?6339-CWM-for-Pipo-Max-M6

worked like a charm :BANANA

elephraim
08-25-2013, 12:04 PM
I use ROM toolbox pro/lite to change boot animation...they have lot of option, you can also easily modify kernel, fs and vm value or edit build.prob change LCD density, etc...

struggleb0x
08-25-2013, 12:06 PM
few questions/observations.
I uninstalled the stock browser, does this affect anything? I ask because out of no where, my system would crash with Google chrome. I got the red border and then if I pulled down the left drop down (where notifications are) it would crash and all apps reloaded. I switched to Firefox but it seems slower. what is everyone's preferred browser and why?

Also, you have the Chinese file manager, I uninstalled and installed English. any reason why you kept the Chinese one?

I all installed ram manager pro. this app made it noticeably faster and a great addition to your ROM. I run 1.5 with 1.6 kernel.

anyone know how to make typing faster/smoother?

I have more questions but I'm drawing a blank.

thanks for the great ROM.

oh and why do you keep the Chinese app store app? I uninstalled it. are there any apps I shouldn't uninstall on this device? i removed a bunch but I was curious if this could affect performance.

rrileypm
08-25-2013, 12:34 PM
You have some very good questions.

I try to leave a file manager in the ROM, just in case there is a problem downloading a better one and you need it early in the process of getting things going. Depending on which version...Chinese or English of the firmware, I thought that the RKfilemanger appeared in whatever language you had the settings set to. My bad. I don't mess with their stuff much.

On one ROM I did, I tried removing their app store, and some other things started crashing. I haven't had time to experiment with that one...but I will. I just need to sit down with my M8 Pro and start deleting apps to see what else I can add to my debloat list.

I'm not certain, but I believe there are some dependencies between Chrome and the stock browser...since they are both produced by Google, perhaps they are using some of the components of the stock browser to get Chrome to work. Depending on what I'm doing, I use a variety of browsers. For downloading files and just casual surfing, I use Opera Mini, because I like their download interface. If I need to view a flash page, I use Puffin. I really like Chrome, because all of my bookmarks are saved across all of my devices, so they are always handy if I need to check a page.

It is nice to know that ROM Manager Pro makes a difference. Unfortunately, we have a code of conduct here at Freaktab that we don't add apps to our ROM's without written permission from the developer, so to be safe, I just don't put anything like that in my ROM's...especially since users can just as easily install it from Google Play Store.

I hope that clears some things up, and feel free to ask away any time...when you think of the other questions.

jxu000
08-25-2013, 02:49 PM
I've had this message before and it was caused by bad usb cable or connection.
interesting, I'm actually using the cable that came with the tablet and I'm on a laptop so there are no "secondary" ports. I'll try with a different microusb cable if that works

Correction:
I also used to get those message.......... I thought I'm also on win8, but the laptop that i used to flash my device was on win7 (sorry) though i never use finless flash tool before, it might also be probably because of how u install your device driver, i reinstall the driver as per the manual (read me first.pdf) included in riley rom and it work perfectly, and i also use rk batch tool v1.7.

I strongly suggest RK Batch Tool instead of Finless and see if that help
I did follow the instructions exactly, what is the rk batch tool? I'm using the ROM_Flash_Tool_137.exe that came with this ROM's package

elephraim
08-25-2013, 09:01 PM
its included in the earlier riley rom viz. 1.5, etc can't assure you that it will work but i thought it's worth giving a try since it does work on me

Flow_ryan
08-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Hello guys, I'm new here but I've been following the Pipo M6 threads and using Riley Rom for quite a while now! For me, RileyRom litheraly completes my tablet in terms of usability and performance! Right now I'm using the 1.5 Riley Rom with the 1.6 Kernel. One thing that has been bugging me lately is that to me it seems like the ambilight sensor isn't working! The automatic brightness setting is also not to be found in the settings menu... . Anyone else noticed that?!:confused:

Sorry I just noticed I might've posted in the wrong thread - I'm sorry - this won't happen in the future.

vjbeltran
08-26-2013, 12:38 AM
i just notice after flashing to 1.7 sometimes when using tablet there are red lines flickering on the sides why is that? and why the "no sim" was included again on the lockscreen when it was actually better not there on 1.6?

pulsar123
08-26-2013, 05:48 AM
Hello guys, I'm new here but I've been following the Pipo M6 threads and using Riley Rom for quite a while now! For me, RileyRom litheraly completes my tablet in terms of usability and performance! Right now I'm using the 1.5 Riley Rom with the 1.6 Kernel. One thing that has been bugging me lately is that to me it seems like the ambilight sensor isn't working! The automatic brightness setting is also not to be found in the settings menu... . Anyone else noticed that?!:confused:

Sorry I just noticed I might've posted in the wrong thread - I'm sorry - this won't happen in the future.

There is no "ambilight" sensor in this tablet.

elephraim
08-26-2013, 05:55 AM
I'm using 1.7 system with 1.6 kernel ..... I got better score on antutu than when i'm on 1.5 with 1.6 kernel ..... 14998, 15XXX...
it might be a placebo effect, I think its snappier....
Correction: Yeah, still doesn't beat 1.5+1.6 kernel after installing the same apps...:p

pradipsoman
08-26-2013, 07:07 AM
I'm using 1.7 system with 1.6 kernel ..... I got better score on antutu than when i'm on 1.5 with 1.6 kernel ..... 14998, 15XXX...
it might be a placebo effect, I think its snappier....

Final impression: 1.5 with 1.6 kernel still reigns supreme...added with crossbreeder :)

Flow_ryan
08-26-2013, 09:24 AM
There is no "ambilight" sensor in this tablet.

So no automatic brightness control as there is no Sensor...?

jxu000
08-26-2013, 08:11 PM
its included in the earlier riley rom viz. 1.5, etc can't assure you that it will work but i thought it's worth giving a try since it does work on me
Ok so that version included in RileyROM 1.5 package didn't work, but I google searched RK batch tool 1.7 and downloaded from another source, and used the "switch" button and it worked like a charm! Now running RileyROM :HBANG

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

freaksa
08-26-2013, 11:56 PM
One good thing with 1.7 kernel is it fixed the reboot while charging. No more reboot while charging. So I have 1.5 system and 1.7 kernel; not bad combination.

elephraim
08-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Ok so that version included in RileyROM 1.5 pacK didn't work, but I google searched RK batch tool 1.7 and downloaded from another source, and used the "switch" button and it worked like a charm! Now running RileyROM :HBANG

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to know that rk batch tool help... Riley rom really rocks.... Try the crossbreed 1.5 rom with 1.6 kernel (just copy the kernel.img from 1.6 and replace the file on 1.5 and then flash as u would normally flash 1.5) its so much snappier and u'll be so thankful that u might even wanna hair lick him
Once again.... Thank 'u' Randy for your hard work

rrileypm
08-27-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm including that tool in all of my new ROM's...just in case.

chiefstobs
08-27-2013, 01:00 PM
after having installed cwm, it always tells me that it cant mount /cache/ and then some other files or partitions at cwm start. dont remember exactly right now which files are affected. is this normal? i remember that when i had this issue with cwm on other android phones, there always were issues because of that. the tablet runs fine though. i flashed 1.5 with 1.6 kernel, 4gb parameter file and cwm recovery from 1.7

rrileypm
08-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Since this is the generic version of CWM, it isn't really set up for the specific device...so you must help things along a little.

Upon first boot into CWM, scroll done and clear/format cache. This will solve that one problem...it's normal.

Next, since the stock recovery goes ahead and formats the internal NAND memory...and the generic CWM doesn't, you must go into settings and mount internal NAND storage. When you do that, you get an error in notification that says "Damaged Storage"...this is normal, too. Just touch that notification and format. This will get your internal SD working.

Again, the stock recovery does all of this automatically, so if you don't want to mess with this, I would suggest you use stock recovery...but if you want to play with CWM you must realize these things need to be done.

Enjoy!!!!!

chiefstobs
08-27-2013, 02:05 PM
I see! That explains the damaged internal sdcard when i first booted into android! Thank you for explaining! Really great support!

RobotBoy
08-27-2013, 03:56 PM
hey everybody, can you help me please,
I try to change parameter 8g to 4gb without erase and just check mark parametr before flash and now my m6 is blocked on boot logo... can't put on flash mode... so some one can help me.

rrileypm
08-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Any time you change the parameter files, you must erase IDB and reflash the whole ROM.

The parameter file tells the flash tool where to put all of the files, and changing the user app space size will mess up the system to the point that it won't boot.

You will need to manually get into flash by trying a combination of pushing the reset button with a paperclip and the external buttons. I'm not quite sure on the M6...I think someone posted earlier how to do it.

For example, on the M8 Pro it is:

1. Connect the tablet via USB
2. Start the flash tool
3. Press and hold the "esc" key
4. Press and hold the reset button
5. Press and hold the power button
6. Watch for the flash tool to recognize Loader Mode
7. Erase IDB and flash the whole ROM (without the loader checked)

I don't think that exact combination worked, but something similer, try it different ways

On my M5 the other day it worked with just the reset button and power button.

RobotBoy
08-27-2013, 04:11 PM
not worked, i try many combination and not find the good...

rrileypm
08-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Try the RKBatchTool (I included it in the ROM kit), see if it recognizes it and lets you switch to flash mode.

Otherwise, I know there is a button combination that will work...it just takes a while to get it.

If you happen to find it, please post here.

rrileypm
08-27-2013, 04:49 PM
The Pipo site has these instructions...:

DS820 803D: press the M key for a few seconds, at the same time press “reset”, release M key until the tool finds out your tablet.
M8 M9(android4.1.1) : press the ESC key for a few seconds, at the same time press “reset”, release ESC until the tool finds out your tablet.
M1 M2 U2 S1: press the “ volume –“ key for a few seconds, at the same time press “reset”, release” Volume – “ until the tool finds out your tablet.
M3 M5 U1 U3 S2 S3: press the “ volume +“ key for a few seconds, at the same time press “reset”, release” Volume + “ until the tool finds out your tablet.
M6(android4.2.2):press the “ volume +“ key for a few seconds, at the same time press “power”, release” Volume + “ until the tool finds out your tablet.
M7pro U8 M8pro M9 M9pro(android4.2.2):press the “ESC“&“power” key for a few seconds,no need of pressing reset key.

RobotBoy
08-27-2013, 08:04 PM
hy randy, I managed with a combination of other, "M6 (android4.2.2): press the" Volume + "key for a FEW seconds, at the same time press" power "release" Volume + "until the tool finds out your tablet "brought me back to the CWM.

I do not know how I did it but I managed. :BANANA:BANANA

Thank you to be stayed with me. ;)

Now I know that I will always erase IDB before reflash parametr...
Thank you for your job

claro966
08-29-2013, 05:57 AM
Not bad this 1.7 but 1.5 with kernel 1.6 was snappier to me.

Any feedback on trials with system 1.5 + kernel 1.7 ?

Let's wait next release (SDK 2.00 ?!)

Thanks

hoilai
08-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Flash successfully, but the sound output was very low. Is there any way to amplify the output. The old apps does not work. Too much distortion noise, even I uninstall the app. This may be a bug.

elephraim
08-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Flash successfully, but the sound output was very low. Is there any way to amplify the output. The old apps does not work. Too much distortion noise, even I uninstall the app. This may be a bug.
Viper4Android fx help a lot (free on playstore) but before i made a hardware modification my speaker used to get heated frequently when set to high output so making a hardware modification works better... (if not for others atleast for me) (search this thread for fixing speaker problem) though there's a 'neg' con ...lol.... the volume of your right speaker will become slighly lower than the left one

elephraim
08-29-2013, 08:52 AM
I failed(well, almost everytime except for a few times maybe 8 or 9 times) to transfer file/data using wifi-direct via superbeam from my Samsung Note2 (INU Version) to my pipo tab and then without making any modification in the settings on both devices or whatsoever, sometimes files can be suddenly transferred. Though i never had any problem tranfering file from my pipo to Note 2 via wifi direct i almost fail everytime to do the same from my Note2 to Pipo. I always wonder where the problem lies, does any guys come across this wifi direct problem too? Anyone know how to solve this issue? :OMG:OMG:OMG

outlawbuat
08-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Just recently Flash my M6 to 1.7 and an App keep popping everytime i open my Tab from Shutdown, giving me an option to install... The App is (Superuser App), I don't know if i should install this App or not? Is it good to install this or not? or can this harm my tablet, I dont know that much about what Apps to put in rooted Tablets so i dont install that much and only thos apps from PlayStore. Thanks for the 1.7 version so far its good and faster cause i've never tried the 1.4 and 1.5 and 1.6 yet and i directly use the 1.7 version for the first time... The only Problem so far is that i have the Wifi version of M6 but at the Lockscreen there is a "No Simcard" displayed at the lockscreen but other than that its fine so far... Thanks Again^^. :CLAP

rrileypm
08-29-2013, 08:47 PM
That is normal.

Superuser is the app I include to provide root. You are being prompted to update the binary file.

This is important for you to go ahead and do, so you will continue to have root.

Randy

outlawbuat
08-29-2013, 08:56 PM
That is normal.

Superuser is the app I include to provide root. You are being prompted to update the binary file.

This is important for you to go ahead and do, so you will continue to have root.

Randy

Ok^^.:beerlight: Thanks Again^^ And One more Question: Before i Rooted the Tab i can install NBA 2k13 and FieldRUnners2 Apk Apps to my Tablet and play those games but after i Rooted my M6 to 1.7 those apps seems i cant install them anymore cause when i open the those game like the NBA2k13 it says i didnt buy the game so it wont proceed to downloading the additional files after installing, same with fieldrunners2 Game... Why is that?:confused:

And Another thing... Which would you prefer to use in Display? The Normal Mode or HD mode? cause i notice in HD mode battery seems to drain so fast, and a bit slower compare to Normal mode which seems to be faster... So which do you prefer to Use?

rrileypm
08-29-2013, 09:17 PM
You have encountered a negative side effect of rooting. Some game apps won't install correctly on a rooted device due to DRM conflicts. They are few and far between, but you have landed on two of them.

Sorry to say, I haven't found a fix for that, but maybe one of the other developers have.

We aren't in the business of trying to defeat DRM, but maybe someone has found a work around for that.

rrileypm
08-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Which would you prefer to use in Display? The Normal Mode or HD mode? cause i notice in HD mode battery seems to drain so fast, and a bit slower compare to Normal mode which seems to be faster... So which do you prefer to Use?

To each his own...I guess. It depends on what you are doing, and whether the battery consumption rate matters (if you aren't able to plug in the charger and still use the tablet). You might do some testing on your own to see exactly how much battery time you have in HD mode vs Normal mode.

For watching video or gaming, I would use whatever enhances the experience (which is what HD is for)...normal mode for everything else.

I'm just glad they provided a way to switch back and forth.

I would love to have one of these M6's...but I need another tablet like I need a hole in my head right now...hahaha!!!!!:HA I haven't experienced these HD screens, yet. I guess I'll hold out for the next new thing to arrive from Rockchip/Pipo.

bokkie
08-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Is anyone else experiencing random freezes on their M6?
It has happened 3 or 4 times now, the screen just freezes and no response from any of the buttons. The only thing that seems to work is pushing the little reset button, which is a bit of a pain if I'm out, trying to find something that'll fit in there.
It happened on previous rom (1.5 with 1.6 kernel) and current rom 1.7.

Relles
08-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Can I just update the normal way with the RKBatch tool 1.7 by loading the custom rom, pressing switch then restore ?

claro966
08-30-2013, 01:53 PM
It has happened 3 or 4 times now, the screen just freezes and no response from any of the buttons. The only thing that seems to work is pushing the little reset button, which is a bit of a pain if I'm out, trying to find something that'll fit in there.

Never

Inviato dal mio C2 con Tapatalk 2

h4mY
08-31-2013, 10:57 AM

yeah, happened with my m6 too
really annoying. hope it will work better with the next update

BadCompany
08-31-2013, 01:49 PM

1.7 freezes often. Also when I leave on charge, and allow to fully charge before I can get back to the M6, I have to Reset the M6. I also had a few freezes on 1.6.

pradipsoman
08-31-2013, 07:10 PM
1.7 freezes often. Also when I leave on charge, and allow to fully charge before I can get back to the M6, I have to Reset the M6. I also had a few freezes on 1.6.

Till PiPO comes up with something better, Riley's 1.5 with 1.6 kernel is the best combo. Absolutely smooth, and no freezing issues at all :)

andbroe
08-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Agree with this. Only had one freezer in the last few weeks.

Sent from my JB 4.2.2 powered HTC Desire using Tapatalk

bokkie
09-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Mine was worse running 1.5 with 1.6 kernel. Only had 2 since flashing 1.7 but had loads before.

elephraim
09-01-2013, 01:41 AM
Mine was worse running 1.5 with 1.6 kernel. Only had 2 since flashing 1.7 but had loads before.
This tab differs from person to person, think it due to the fact that it was hand assembled and the case (the cabinet/housing) doesn't properly fit the hardware, when i opened my device i did notice that on the top right corner there's a cut mark, (in order to leveled and attached the mainboard firmly) it was was crudely adjusted by cutting away a piece of the plastic. I then made a further adjustment by properly cutting the top corner, tightening the screw on the mainboard and by spreading a piece of fine cushion sheet under the mainboard - (might have negative effect on wifi receiver). I also set my LCD Density to 280 (default 320) i am not sure if its placebo or not, setting the lcd density to lower value does help the sensitivity of the touchscreen.
All in all its a great tab, though.....

hoilai
09-01-2013, 03:50 AM
Viper4Android fx help a lot (free on playstore) but before i made a hardware modification my speaker used to get heated frequently when set to high output so making a hardware modification works better... (if not for others atleast for me) (search this thread for fixing speaker problem) though there's a 'neg' con ...lol.... the volume of your right speaker will become slighly lower than the left one

I'm not sure whether it is a hardware design failure. But for one thing is that I've tried different version of ROM, and it worked just fine on the previous version. I can play music aloud by amplifying apps without cracking sound.

freaksa
09-01-2013, 04:42 AM
I have no freezes even with 1.5 sys and 1.7 kernel, but went back to 1.6 kernel. I only had freezes with original Pipo firmware. So I think some of these freezes are caused by bugs in some apps. Try uninstalling unneeded apps.

blizzet
09-02-2013, 12:15 AM
I have no freezes either, Im on 1.7. Only problem I have is that it does not seem to charge 100%. It stays around 97-98 always. Anyone else with this problem? Also I think that the batteryindicator is not working as I expect it to. Anyone else with this problem? Heard of batteryindicator fixes for other Pipo tablets.

elephraim
09-02-2013, 05:22 AM
I'm not sure whether it is a hardware design failure. But for one thing is that I've tried different version of ROM, and it worked just fine on the previous version. I can play music aloud by amplifying apps without cracking sound.
By hardware modification, I've physically removed the plastic under the speakers. My device doesn't even have any hole under the right speaker. So, I have to cut a new hole. But in u'r case it might be totally different since u'r sound works just fine with the earlier ROM

rceccleston
09-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Randy, just flashed v1.7 on my M6 it's failing to post, any suggestions?

rrileypm
09-02-2013, 05:35 PM
It looks like you have a hardware connection problem. I have fixed this before by trying a different USB cable, (The one that came with the tablet is the best to use, since the connector is a little longer).

Also, make sure you are not going through a USB hub, or using a port with USB 3.0.

Try those things...it should work.

Relles
09-03-2013, 12:21 PM
I have no freezes either, Im on 1.7. Only problem I have is that it does not seem to charge 100%. It stays around 97-98 always. Anyone else with this problem? Also I think that the batteryindicator is not working as I expect it to. Anyone else with this problem? Heard of batteryindicator fixes for other Pipo tablets.
Yeah I have the problem too, The way round It I found was to charge in standby mode. then it gets to 100% pretty quick

rceccleston
09-03-2013, 12:28 PM
It looks like you have a hardware connection problem. I have fixed this before by trying a different USB cable, (The one that came with the tablet is the best to use, since the connector is a little longer).

Also, make sure you are not going through a USB hub, or using a port with USB 3.0.

Try those things...it should work.

Thank you Randy, the USB cable was faulty.

Sent from my Pipo M6 using Tapatalk 4

AtulK
09-04-2013, 02:29 AM
Hi guys, I like this ROM, I've experimented with some ROM combinations + kernels and I liked in some cases its much faster than others however I really dislike phone style UI with clock and notifications on top :-( so I get back to frontiers ROM with 1.7 Riley's kernel and result is quite OK. So I'm wandering, is it any wait to change the UI or its build in the ROM?

?:GH

Badtimes
09-04-2013, 07:49 AM
A little off topic, but I think it worth a look...

I've just find out that there is a new model of this tablet. Like in other tablets of Pipo, the diferences between normal model and "Pro" model are an increase in the installed memory (32 vs 16 Gb) and the presence of a GPS module.

I'm just wondering... Could be possible that the GPS module were present, but deactivated in the normal mode? (the price of the "Pro" model is now the same as the normal mode 2 weeks ago):BANG:BANG

I have yet to open my tablet to fix the sound issue so I could check it, but don't have any idea of how a GPS module looks like...

zdr
09-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I bought this one after U30GT2, trying to find tablet with descent wifi - yet another huge disappointment. I flashed this rom hoping it's a fw issue, but wifi is still even worse than U30GT2, which I did not think was possible. I am getting 3Mbps on a good day with speedtest net, while I have 13Mbps with THL W200 phone (tiny, cheap, crammed, chinese phone).

wieselfried
09-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Hi,

I orderd a pipo m6 pro with GPS. Is the RileyROM 1.5 and 1.7 working with GPS?

Regards

blizzet
09-05-2013, 04:52 AM
I bought this one after U30GT2, trying to find tablet with descent wifi - yet another huge disappointment. I flashed this rom hoping it's a fw issue, but wifi is still even worse than U30GT2, which I did not think was possible. I am getting 3Mbps on a good day with speedtest net, while I have 13Mbps with THL W200 phone (tiny, cheap, crammed, chinese phone).

Strange, my M6 has very strong WiFi. Even better than the M8 Pro I tested before.
Hardware problem? Seems like there are differences from piece to piece as written before.

Relles
09-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Strange, my M6 has very strong WiFi. Even better than the M8 Pro I tested before.
Hardware problem? Seems like there are differences from piece to piece as written before.

Yeah same here, the wifi on the M6 is alot better then the U30GT2. Not as good as my Aoson m33 but still good )

h4mY
09-05-2013, 01:04 PM
my wifi is really bad too
any ideas how to increase the wifisignal?

Badtimes
09-05-2013, 11:55 PM
I get about 10 Mb at 8/10 meters of the router, with a wall in between. Have a 20 Mb connection, but never got more than 16 Mb downloading in the desktop pc, with an ethernet connection... (I'm using the 1.5 Rom / 1.6 Kernell option)

Relles
09-07-2013, 03:45 AM
Have to say I found this version to be a bit laggy, especially with the page flipping on the desktop, So I decided to install the 1.5 rileyrom version and the improvment is significant. In the new Antutu benchmark with the 1.7 version I would get 17.700 max, with the 1.5 18.350 !, and the most noticable improvment is the desktop performance

elephraim
09-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Have to say I found this version to be a bit laggy, especially with the page flipping on the desktop, So I decided to install the 1.5 rileyrom version and the improvment is significant. In the new Antutu benchmark with the 1.7 version I would get 17.700 max, with the 1.5 18.350 !, and the most noticable improvment is the desktop performance
That's really awesome.... I've never come close to 18xxx before, not eveen with the crossbreed... I scored around 14k -15k...:confused::face

rrileypm
09-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Some people got good results flashing the 1.6 kernel on the 1.5 ROM.

vjbeltran
09-07-2013, 09:19 AM
when will be the next update available?

claro966
09-07-2013, 09:48 AM
when will be the next update available?

PiPO Team said that a new release should coming out by the middle of September... who knows?

gur
09-11-2013, 07:37 AM
PiPO Team said that a new release should coming out by the middle of September... who knows?

we need a REAL official sdk 2.0 firmware. exepcept 1.5 other firmwares are really crap! this device deserves better..

gur
09-11-2013, 07:42 AM
I also set my LCD Density to 280 (default 320) i am not sure if its placebo or not, setting the lcd density to lower value does help the sensitivity of the touchscreen.
All in all its a great tab, though.....

I do not understand how decreasing lcd density may have an impact on sensibility of the lcd.. which method did you use btw?

elephraim
09-12-2013, 05:54 AM
I do not understand how decreasing lcd density may have an impact on sensibility of the lcd.. which method did you use btw?
I've set my LCD density to 280 (default is 320) which decrease the resolution to a certain extent... have heard it before somewhere that the touch response will be more accurate if density is set to lower value, just try it, and then judge accordingly, I might be wrong but it sure is worth trying... right?????
Use build.prop editor or just edit the build.prob directly and assess the difference..... Even if I'm wrong the display is worth changing the density right!:BANANA

elephraim
09-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Anyone come across a problem receiving file/data from Samsung device to this tab.... is this tab simply just not compatible with samsung device... I just cannot transfer file/data via bluetooth/wifi direct from my note 2 to this tablet... on the other hand I've got no issue transferring the same from this tab to samsung device... is this because that our tablet have higher security or something like that...

wieselfried
09-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Hi, I need help. I want to flash my Pipo and received following massage: "msc can't do erase idb". in the flash tool is written found rkandroid rock usb.
What is my failure? I am not in the flas mode? I pushed the ESC button to get into it.
thx

rrileypm
09-12-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm downloading an update. Hopefully a new ROM out tonight!!!!!!

rrileypm
09-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Sorry for the confusion...I didn't read the fine print.

Actually, Pipo has introduced a variation of the M6 called the M6 Pro. This is a high resolution version 2048x1536 screen.

So, no...I'm not updating the Pipo Max M6...sorry.

wieselfried
09-12-2013, 09:10 PM
@rrileypm: I have a Pipo Max M6 pro Wifi. Do you make a custom Rom for this tablet in the future? Can I root this tablet? Is there a Kernel for this tablet?
thx
wiesel

Damocles
09-12-2013, 09:52 PM

Actually, Pipo has introduced a variation of the M6 called the M6 Pro. This is a high resolution version 2048x1536 screen.

Randy,

I had a look on the PiPo site, The M6 and M6 Pro have the same screen resolution (2048x1536).

The difference I can see is that the Pro version has built in GPS. I cant see any other difference between the two.

I dont see the point of this model to be honest, if the only difference is the built in GPS.

claro966
09-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Randy,

I had a look on the PiPo site, The M6 and M6 Pro have the same screen resolution (2048x1536).

The difference I can see is that the Pro version has built in GPS. I cant see any other difference between the two.

I dont see the point of this model to be honest, if the only difference is the built in GPS.

The M6 Pro seems to have 32GB Rom more tue GPS chipset.

Inviato dal mio ZP980 con Tapatalk 2

kingsemperor
09-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Hello,

I'm new here. I bought a Pipo M6 3G and followed this forum for days. I decided to flash my Pipo with Riley ROM 1.5 kernel 1.6. Everything went OK, Pipo was snappy, response was much better than the original ROM but the 3G did not work.

Did the same a few days ago but with 1.7 (same kernel) and it gave me the option of the "Modem Power" under "Network Connections" this time, which I thought it would help my 3G work.

Can someone tell me that 3G works on 1.7 ?? Because I am starting to think there is a problem with its modem inside (something to do with the hardware).

Thanks !

elephraim
09-15-2013, 03:09 AM
Hello,

I'm new here. I bought a Pipo M6 3G and followed this forum for days. I decided to flash my Pipo with Riley ROM 1.5 kernel 1.6. Everything went OK, Pipo was snappy, response was much better than the original ROM but the 3G did not work.

Did the same a few days ago but with 1.7 (same kernel) and it gave me the option of the "Modem Power" under "Network Connections" this time, which I thought it would help my 3G work.

Can someone tell me that 3G works on 1.7 ?? Because I am starting to think there is a problem with its modem inside (something to do with the hardware).

Thanks !
I'm on crossbreed & 3G works fine with the crossbreed (1.5+1.6) and also on 1.7. I think your problem lie somewhere else. Go to settings and under wireless and network > more > mobile networks.. If data is not enabled then enable it, unselect use only 2G, reset APN, network etc. and see if that help

kingsemperor
09-16-2013, 03:07 AM
I'm on crossbreed & 3G works fine with the crossbreed (1.5+1.6) and also on 1.7. I think your problem lie somewhere else. Go to settings and under wireless and network > more > mobile networks.. If data is not enabled then enable it, unselect use only 2G, reset APN, network etc. and see if that help

Thanks elephraim for your reply. I am finally sticking with riley ROM 1.5 + Kernel 1.6 - I got better results and deactivated the HD mode to make it faster. (1.5 - 1.6 in HD eventually lags a lot)

Regarding 3G. I was trying to work out for a couple of weeks where the problem was lying. Finally I could make it work on 1.7 and 1.5 (regardless that "modem power" option that appeared in 1.7). Some people might laugh but it was so hard to put the SIM card inside the slot that I never dared to push it to the limit so it "clicked". I also had a problem of finding out what the right position was for the SIM (the chip facing down). Eventually I got it ! :BACON

vjbeltran
09-17-2013, 05:37 PM

oh no sad to read that. i still visit this thread to check if you or someone release a better update

gur
09-20-2013, 01:51 AM
oh no sad to read that. i still visit this thread to check if you or someone release a better update

waiting for riley rom 1.8.. Anynews?

btw please change with a better cool looking bootscreen this new rom when it arrives :)

pradipsoman
09-20-2013, 03:00 AM
I don't know if someone faced this issue. I am on 1.5 with 1.6 kernel. Whenever the battery is completely finished and the Tab goes off automatically, I need to use the pin to click the reset button to start it during/after charge. The power on button does not work in such a scenario. Is anyone facing this??

claro966
09-20-2013, 04:17 AM
I don't know if someone faced this issue. I am on 1.5 with 1.6 kernel. Whenever the battery is completely finished and the Tab goes off automatically, I need to use the pin to click the reset button to start it during/after charge. The power on button does not work in such a scenario. Is anyone facing this??

very strange, normally it boots on when the power supply is plugged in, until the 1.7 kernel.

captkronos
09-20-2013, 08:59 AM

That has definitely happened to me more than once. I'm not sure if it always happens since I try to remember to charge it before it gets too low.

nykoo
09-21-2013, 03:41 AM

Hello, i've got same problem... and so myu M6 is nearly unusable :/ everytime i try to launch it need to plug the charger to power it on and charge it. I've got the problem since the beginning and with riley or katsy rom :/

Any idea would be great ! :D

BadCompany
09-21-2013, 08:31 AM
I have the same problem. I don't know of a fix. To get around the problem I turn Tab off and then plug charger in. After charging I unplug charger and then turn on Tab. Currently on RileyROM 1.7. Tab had this problem before I flashed RileyROM. My Tab use to freeze ALL the time. Since flashing RileyROM Tab only freezes occasionally now.

kyrliot
09-21-2013, 11:32 AM
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/aabc7ec4f6fe4d790c4ae1253c88671720130914110148/fa92fc4b73891093b4b6bde1d60e4a4b20130914110148/692afb

This rom was sent to a user by pipo, who had problems with his m6,i think 3g version and is due to be released in a few days. I have not tried it and I am not responsible for any problems that may cause. Maybe Riley can tell as more about it...

rrileypm
09-21-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm downloading it and I'll take a look.

rrileypm
09-21-2013, 01:05 PM
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/aabc7ec4f6fe4d790c4ae1253c88671720130914110148/fa92fc4b73891093b4b6bde1d60e4a4b20130914110148/692afb

This rom was sent to a user by pipo, who had problems with his m6,i think 3g version and is due to be released in a few days. I have not tried it and I am not responsible for any problems that may cause. Maybe Riley can tell as more about it...

So, you are saying this is for the wifi only tablet? I'm still trying to download it.

kyrliot
09-21-2013, 04:22 PM
So, you are saying this is for the wifi only tablet? I'm still trying to download it.
I think it's for pipo m6 3G.

rrileypm
09-21-2013, 04:44 PM
For some reason all day long, I get this file about 50% downloaded and it stops. I'll go to work as soon as I can get a complete file.

rrileypm
09-21-2013, 05:36 PM
It looks like that download isn't available anymore. I guess we will have to wait until an update appears on the Pipo site.

Piet
09-22-2013, 12:12 AM
I could download it, how could I sent it to you?

kyrliot
09-22-2013, 12:48 AM
I could download it, how could I sent it to you?

You could just upload it somewhere else (other site, Dropbox etc) and write the new link here..
The rom, I haven't downloaded myself but I have readed in a greek forum, is dated 20130913,so pipo that usually publish them after 10 days testing will have it on their site very soon.

rrileypm
09-22-2013, 06:59 AM
Since the file is large, you may have better luck with one of the other services...like Google Drive. Dropbox has a file size limit.

I'm very interested in doing a new ROM with that, if you can uploaded and send us a link. I double checked the link you provided and it says the download is no longer available.

Piet
09-22-2013, 08:57 AM
to download the update.img click on this link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8nKiACXYaY4M3NOQ2txeDg4NGM/edit?usp=sharing

rrileypm
09-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks!!!

Randy

rrileypm
09-22-2013, 11:39 AM
to download the update.img click on this link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8nKiACXYaY4M3NOQ2txeDg4NGM/edit?usp=sharing

Please check your sharing settings. I can't download it without your permission via email.

Piet
09-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Please check your sharing settings. I can't download it without your permission via email.

Ive never used this before. I hope it's working now?

rrileypm
09-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks, I got it that time.

kyrliot
09-22-2013, 01:10 PM
:CLAP

rrileypm
09-22-2013, 02:42 PM
RileyROM v1.8 is posted!!!!!!

Here is the new thread:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7139-Pipo-M6-4-2-2-RileyROM-1-8-MAX-not-PRO&p=97856#post97856

theccentric
09-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Ok, so.... I've had this thing ( Pipo M6 MAX ) for a few months and just got around to actually flashing it with RileyROM 1.7, which I found today after finally getting some time to look for ROM's for this thing. After flashing it, I was left with [perhaps the very wrong] impression that some of the things I am used to seeing in my daughters Nook HD+ ( with an AFN 4.2.2 microSD card ) would be there, such as the Interface menu, which includes Launcher / Lock Screen / System / Themes submenus.

Am I mistaken, or are the settings items part of stock JB 4.2.2 OS?

rrileypm
09-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Typically, a custom ROM is more about performance and functionality rather than adding bells and whistles. Much of the credit goes to the actual developers of the firmware. A lot of the magic happens in the kernel, which I'm unable to change.

While I do put plenty of work into these ROMs...you never know what the firmware developers have added or improved until it's all finished.

Behind the scenes stuff, like rooting, init.d support, Google Play Store fixes, build.prop tweaks, Busybox support are included in my ROMs to improve performance. Extra apps that the manufacturer adds (bloatware) are removed to free up space and to improve performance. Adding parameter files to specify how much user app space was a huge thing for me to learn to do because it involves math skills that I've never been good at.

With a clean slate, you can add those features very easily by adding a launcher app from Google Play Store. There are many to choose from. My favorite is Apex Launcher, but there is also Nova Launcher, Go Launcher and several others.

Pipo has a really nice launcher app (that looks like Windows 8) that until now has required a password to activate. I'm playing around with trying to keep this as part of the custom ROM, but just having it there can cause problems with getting devices to boot properly.

Currently, our app dev crew is working on a Freaktab Launcher that I hear will be amazing...but since this is all a hobby to us, it takes a while to see the results.

I'm one of the few developers who actually will try to tackle a ROM for a device I don't own. Most developers simply won't even try it. I have an M8 Pro, M7 Pro and an M5 Max...and I can test many of my ROMs on those tablets. It's more difficult to add features to a device I can't physically test, so those ROMs generally have fewer special features. As I learn how to add a feature and test it thoroughly on one of my tablets, I can then introduce it to the other ROMs like the M6. Much of the M6 ROM's work on my M8 Pro.

I've made many (over 200) ROMs for Freaktab. I just started doing it in February of this year, so while I've gained some experience and expertise...I'm still learning.

I get requests for new features all the time, and I see it as a challenge to try to introduce them inside a custom ROM.

Thanks for the feedback...

rrileypm
09-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Oh...BTW...did you notice that v1.8 is available?

theccentric
09-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Typically, a custom ROM is more about performance and functionality rather than adding bells and whistles. Much of the credit goes to the actual developers of the firmware. A lot of the magic happens in the kernel, which I'm unable to change.

While I do put plenty of work into these ROMs...you never know what the firmware developers have added or improved until it's all finished.

Behind the scenes stuff, like rooting, init.d support, Google Play Store fixes, build.prop tweaks, Busybox support are included in my ROMs to improve performance. Extra apps that the manufacturer adds (bloatware) are removed to free up space and to improve performance. Adding parameter files to specify how much user app space was a huge thing for me to learn to do because it involves math skills that I've never been good at.

With a clean slate, you can add those features very easily by adding a launcher app from Google Play Store. There are many to choose from. My favorite is Apex Launcher, but there is also Nova Launcher, Go Launcher and several others.

Pipo has a really nice launcher app (that looks like Windows 8) that until now has required a password to activate. I'm playing around with trying to keep this as part of the custom ROM, but just having it there can cause problems with getting devices to boot properly.

Currently, our app dev crew is working on a Freaktab Launcher that I hear will be amazing...but since this is all a hobby to us, it takes a while to see the results.

I'm one of the few developers who actually will try to tackle a ROM for a device I don't own. Most developers simply won't even try it. I have an M8 Pro, M7 Pro and an M5 Max...and I can test many of my ROMs on those tablets. It's more difficult to add features to a device I can't physically test, so those ROMs generally have fewer special features. As I learn how to add a feature and test it thoroughly on one of my tablets, I can then introduce it to the other ROMs like the M6. Much of the M6 ROM's work on my M8 Pro.

I've made many (over 200) ROMs for Freaktab. I just started doing it in February of this year, so while I've gained some experience and expertise...I'm still learning.

I get requests for new features all the time, and I see it as a challenge to try to introduce them inside a custom ROM.

Thanks for the feedback...

Hi Randy,

First of all, I have to apologize for my bad manners, which makes it even worse considering the fact that I myself work in a software development environment. I didn't mention that after flashing with your ROM, the performance of the M6 has improved significantly, even during boot. To be honest, after getting the tablet and playing around with it a little bit I wasn't very happy with the purchase, but your ROM has changed that significantly. After flashing with 1.7 and adding a matte / anti-glare screen protector, I feel like I have a very decent tablet indeed despite the very poor build quality. Having said that, I would like to thank you for the effort and time spent into making a ROM for this tablet, and keeping it up to date. I realize full well that this is not something that anyone is obliged to do, but is done by enthusiasts like yourself who are up to the challenge and want to broaden their horizons.

After looking around in the Nook, which as I mentioned has a custom CyanogenMod ROM that is designed to run solely off the microsd card, I realized that they have included some customizations above and beyond what would normally be in the stock, barebones 4.2.2 release.... so my apologies on making a comparison between the two when it really isn't a fair comparison.

So far, I am very happy with 1.7 and I am not the kind of person that likes to flash my phone and tablet every time a new ROM comes out just to "see how it is". Once I find something that works and is stable, I stick with it for the peace of mind. When I first got my Galaxy S2, I flashed it with a new ROM almost immediately, and I was... and still am... very happy with its performance even though it is running Gingerbread 2.3.6 if I'm not mistaken. :o

rrileypm
09-24-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm glad the ROM is working well for you.

Absolutely no offense taken...I just feel compelled to state my priorities periodically so everyone understand.

I truly enjoy doing these ROMs for people I just don't want to set user's expectations so high that I can't meet them consistently.

I hate putting out a ROM that I can't test...and it doesn't work. I've run into that trying to do simple ROMs for Freelander tablets.

For the most part, I've had pretty good luck with all of the Pipo ROMs. Thank goodness!!!!!

I appreciate everyone's support!!!!!

Randy

rrileypm
09-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Marker only, disregard this post.

theccentric
09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Ok, here's a first. Tablet just turned off. Won't fire back up with the power button. Any thoughts?

Taajan
09-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Reset button on the back

Sent from my BLU Life View using Tapatalk 2