PDA

View Full Version : Pipo M8 Pro 4.2.2 RileyROM 1.5

rrileypm
06-01-2013, 07:44 PM
This ROM is based on the Pipo firmware dated 6/1/13.

They released both a wifi only version and a 3G version. I have ROM's posted for each version in the download page linked below.

Update: I fixed some problems with the 3G version on 6/13...it is now 1.5a

This ROM is:
Rooted
Debloated (to remove all apps that require a password to run)
Init.d support
Busybox links added
Google Play Store fixes
Parameter files for 2, 4, 6 and 8 gig user app space
Tattman65 boot graphics
Reboot app from Petrus
CWM Recovery by Fun

Thanks to 900Supersport for the use of his flash kit.

Just follow the readme file for instructions.

Here is the link to the download page:

Download (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?5207-Pipo-M8-Pro-4-2-2-RileyROM-1-5&p=70359#post70359)

If this is the first time you are flashing one of our ROM's, you may encounter some challenges in installing Windows drivers. Please download this First Time User Guide to help you throught he process:

Download (http://www.freak-tab.de/rrileypm/First%20Time%20User%20Guide_pr0_rev5.pdf)

If this ROM makes a difference for you, please consider a donation to support future RileyROM's here at Freaktab.com Donate!!! (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=rrileypm%40hotmail%2ecom&lc=US&item_name=rrileypm&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_LG%2egif%3aNonHos ted)

dcr33p
06-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Hi,

i want to flash 1.5 FW right now, but today my device has become unuseable so I cannot even restart. Freezes and hangs all the time. Right now I got a "Freeze" that touch is not working. How can I manually reset the device, without destroying the back cover and removing the batteries? :-)
Another thing. Can we directly flash from CWM? Or is RKTool installation via usb required, like the first time?

dcr33p
06-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Just no way to manually reset device, nothing working. Tried pressing power button for 10+ seconds. Combining with ESC and menu key. What is the secred forced reboot Combo?:RED
Anyway, after ~20 minutes it rebooted by itself :BANG
I flashed 1.5 firmware. First thing I noticed was that buttom menu bar is darker AND that flickerring on the right side of 'house' home button is gone! Nice, pipo! And of course, nice Randy :)

Where can we find Pipos changelog?

pr0xZen
06-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Any news on DRM certs? Netflix is a must-have on this for me, so being kept back on old ROMs is less than ideal.

dcr33p
06-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Hmm there is something strange. Latest FW was 0518, I have tested both stock and RileyRom based on same Firmware. 0518 was a chinese release Firmware. Now 0530 english FW is out. This should be the same FW as 0518 only english Version. I've got the feeling I just installed the same fw again, though menu bar appeance is definitly not the same.
I need a changelog in the future. Flashing without changelog does not make much sense IMHO :ROLL

PS: on pipos website, netflix support ist the only comment on latest english 0530 fw....

rrileypm
06-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Where on their website do you see a change log...so far I haven't been able to find one. Google translate doesn't translate everything.

Randy

dcr33p
06-02-2013, 09:24 AM
??? I did not say that I saw a changelog :rolleyes: I am searching for one, actually.

There is just about nothing info on each firmware. On English version of pipos site:

M8pro software_english version_android 4.2#115
support netfix

http://www.pipo.cn/En/index.php?m=About&a=gujian_show&id=100

rrileypm
06-02-2013, 09:34 AM
That is why I don't provide change logs.

Randy

rrileypm
06-02-2013, 09:59 AM
I installed the Xposed Netflix fix before I found out that the supposed change in this firmware was to fix Netflix.

Has anyone tested Netflix without applying the Xposed fix?

If not...ill reflash and check it.

Sent from my M8 pro

dcr33p
06-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Sorry, I am not using netflix and dont know what exactly to do with it :)
But I can test a little bit, just tell me what...

rrileypm
06-02-2013, 10:06 AM
If you don't have a Netflix account don't worry. Ill just reflash and test before I add that fix.

Some were saying the the screen flickered on past ROMS. I'm not seeing a flicker this time.

Sent from my M8 pro

dcr33p
06-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Yes, I had flickering problem. But it went away after a few minutes/reboots. New 0530/1.5 firmware flickered, too. At least on my device :) But my home button drawing bug/issue is gone...

dcr33p
06-02-2013, 11:00 AM
I just took a screenshot of the new Homescreen, which has a screenshot of old homescreen opened within.
You can see that the buttom menu bar ist thinner and less visble, now. Also, the home button is not flickering, but you cant see the latter in the picture :rolleyes:

rrileypm
06-02-2013, 09:52 PM
For those of you who have a 3G version of the M8 Pro, I have made a ROM using the latest firmware for the 3G. Follow the same link above to the download page.

vipergrm
06-03-2013, 05:32 AM
Thanks Riley.

Can anyone please tell me if I need to root before installing Riley's firmware? I can't find instructions anywhere on how to root or install CWM. I am on the last 4.2.2 Pipo English update (the one before 1st June). I would really appreciate any help. Thank you!

vikidroid
06-03-2013, 05:50 AM
@viper - no, you do not need to root before installing riley's rom.

you didn't read enough carefully his readme file. on same begining it says:

This ROM has:
Root
Google Play Store fixes
Init.d support
Debloat
2g, 4g, 6g or 8g user app space parameter files (your choice)
Full working Clockwork Mod Recovery

so, both your "problems" are here - root and cwm recovery. just need to flash it. and of course, please, wrote few words as feedback. that will help to other users to decide to use or not custom rom, and to randy to do some tweaks to next rom if there is need for tweaking.

vipergrm
06-03-2013, 06:07 AM
@viper - no, you do not need to root before installing riley's rom.

you didn't read enough carefully his readme file. on same begining it says:

This ROM has:
Root
Google Play Store fixes
Init.d support
Debloat
2g, 4g, 6g or 8g user app space parameter files (your choice)
Full working Clockwork Mod Recovery

so, both your "problems" are here - root and cwm recovery. just need to flash it. and of course, please, wrote few words as feedback. that will help to other users to decide to use or not custom rom, and to randy to do some tweaks to next rom if there is need for tweaking.

Thank you very much for the replt vikidroid. I wasn't sure of this because when I tried flashing the ROM before it failed when I chose 'reboot to flash'. I did install the Rockchip drivers and the device was recognised but not sure why it wouldn't upgrade. At the time I was on 4.1.1 so maybe that had something to do with it. I'll try flashing again over the next few days and see how I got. Thanks again!

vikidroid
06-03-2013, 07:30 AM
trouble with flashing shouldn't be affected with root. so, IMHO, all is depending on good drivers. you may try install those from RKBatchTool 1.7.

but i'm sure that randy will answer you also about that.

rrileypm
06-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Make sure USB debugging is turned off. Titanium requires it to be on, so if that's what you use for backups, it may be the problem.

Randy

dcr33p
06-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Yes, good point. I have to dismiss the usb debugging messages every time I start Titanium Backup.
The danger of clicking "yes yes, whatever" is definitely high :)

nick789uk
06-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Hi just got my pipo max 8m pro today and really like it well built and very smooth, I know this has probably been asked for before but I have no idea how to flash this tablet could someone please give me some instructions to do this please, thanking you for your time.

Nick

rrileypm
06-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Just download the ROM. See post #1. Inside the zip file is a detailed readme file.

Randy

vipergrm
06-05-2013, 10:37 PM
If you are still using the stock firmware you have to realize that Pipo has updated about 5 times since the initial release. The last update was to fix Netflix playback. I am noticing improvement with 1.5.

I think my audio issues were due to an incompatible plug. I tried the stock plugs. They were too muffled. Then I tried a high quality set that really sounded good. I have no audio problems at all.

Randy

Thanks Riley. I tried flashing to your latest 1.5 ROM. It doesn't appear to be flashing correctly. You mentioned in the readme that the "EraseIDB" should count up to 16384 but mine only counts to 4096. This is also noted on the left. Upon booting quite a lot of the buttons don't work. For example none of the buttons on the menu at the top right work, nor does the home button etc. I tried two different cables including the original one. What am I doing wrong??? Thanks!

stevejc
06-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Hi,

I've just got this tablet yesterday.

Very happy for the moment.
Try your Rom with no problem, everything's smooth.

Just a question, I have no vibrator ?

I've have reflash the 4.2.2 stock same result
I've tested with Z device test : nothing.

Do I have a faulty one ?

PS : for the pb with 3.5 jack there are two kinds of configuration (same pb for my smartphone)

Retpmus
06-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Would it be possible to add a file for 3g, user app space that would be perfect for my needs? Is it possible or does it have to be the power of 2?

Thanks.

vikidroid
06-06-2013, 07:09 AM
@Retpmus, must say that i do not understand you. what do you mean by "add file for 3g".
if your's device is not 3g, than you just need to plug 3d dongle, and if it is supported by device (driver issue), no extra app is needed. that is on all other "3g by dongle" devices. maybe, just maybe you need to set up APN data. nothing else.

after that you may add sms application to use it with tablet.

Retpmus
06-06-2013, 07:21 AM
@Retpmus, must say that i do not understand you. what do you mean by "add file for 3g".
if your's device is not 3g, than you just need to plug 3d dongle, and if it is supported by device (driver issue), no extra app is needed. that is on all other "3g by dongle" devices. maybe, just maybe you need to set up APN data. nothing else.

after that you may add sms application to use it with tablet.

Sorry about not being that clear. I meat 3gb of user data space for installation. There are options for 2gb upto 8gb. I was just wondering if it was possible for odd number of gb user space?

Thanks.

vikidroid
06-06-2013, 07:47 AM
aha, 3GB! ok, then i'm not person who can help you, but i think it must be as you said earlier on power 2.

i'm sure that randy will answer you that.

vipergrm
06-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Ok, this is odd. I made sure USB debugging was disabled before beginning the process. When I connect my tab to my PC it connects ok and the flash tool sees it. Then...

Reset device OK
Start to test device
Testing device, Total (4096)
Flash IDB Ok

I then choose flash ROM and it boots ok but most of the functionality is missing. I can't work out why my storage isn't showing. Any ideas?

rrileypm
06-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I explained that in the readme file.

You need to format the internal storage by going to settings--storage then mount internal SD. You will then see a notification saying "Damaged Storage" at the top of the screen. Touch on that and format your internal SD. This is a side effect of implementing CWM.

If you don't want to go through all of this, I would suggest flashing the stock recovery instead of CWM. Just rename recovery.img to CWMrecovery.img and rename Stockrecovery.img to recovery.img...kind of like the parameter files.

Speaking of parameter files...I would be more than happy to do a parameter file for whatever size you want your user app space to be, however this is a time consuming process for me...and I'm not a math whiz. I chose even numbers to be more efficient. I had a request the other day to make a 12 gig user app space...why I have no idea. I just use the 2 gig default, and never even use half of it. I prefer to have that space available in the internal SD storage for when I want to download large files (like ROM's) because some apps can't save directly to the external SD.

I hope that helps.

vipergrm
06-06-2013, 02:39 PM
I explained that in the readme file.

You need to format the internal storage by going to settings--storage then mount internal SD. You will then see a notification saying "Damaged Storage" at the top of the screen. Touch on that and format your internal SD. This is a side effect of implementing CWM.

If you don't want to go through all of this, I would suggest flashing the stock recovery instead of CWM. Just rename recovery.img to CWMrecovery.img and rename Stockrecovery.img to recovery.img...kind of like the parameter files.

Speaking of parameter files...I would be more than happy to do a parameter file for whatever size you want your user app space to be, however this is a time consuming process for me...and I'm not a math whiz. I chose even numbers to be more efficient. I had a request the other day to make a 12 gig user app space...why I have no idea. I just use the 2 gig default, and never even use half of it. I prefer to have that space available in the internal SD storage for when I want to download large files (like ROM's) because some apps can't save directly to the external SD.

I hope that helps.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. Sorry, I should have mentioned earlier. When I try to mount sd card the screen just flashes when I press mount and does nothing. I dont get that notification. ???

rupi99
06-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Hello Riley,

one question regarding flashing your ROM.
When I start the RK Flash Tool, then the topmost check box is not marked (this with RK3188Loader(L)_V1.05.bin). Do I have to mark it for flashing or not?

rrileypm
06-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Hello Riley,

one question regarding flashing your ROM.
When I start the RK Flash Tool, then the topmost check box is not marked (this with RK3188Loader(L)_V1.05.bin). Do I have to mark it for flashing or not?

Don't check the loader. This is only for restoring your tablet from a bricked state.

Flashing this could cause problems.

Randy

pr0xZen
06-09-2013, 02:28 PM
...the discussions on this thread atm, are mostly not ROM related anymore - maybe we should take it over to the "General discussion" (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?5333-Pipo-M8-Pro-General-discussion) thread. Could someone contact a moderator - maybe they could merge the later posts..? :)

rrileypm
06-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Moderation Notice!!!

As the post above states, much of the discussion on this thread became more general information about the M8 Pro tablet.

A General Discussion thread for this tablet was started and I moved all posts not relating to the RileyROM 1.5 to this other thread.

Here is a link to the new thread:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?5333-Pipo-M8-Pro-General-discussion

Feel free to continue to discuss the ROM here, but take further general discussion to the new thread.

I am very excited about the popularity of this new tablet from Pipo. I am watching for further updates daily, and since I also have this tablet...I am learning about more features to add to it. Once I learn how it's done on this tablet, I can hopefully incorporated bells and whistles on my other ROM's.

So if there are any requests to add stuff, let me know.

Leolas is our driver guy, so if there are any devices you can't get working...let me know and we will see about providing a driver.

vikidroid
06-10-2013, 01:51 AM
about device drivers -> dvb-t tuner! possible or not?

StoneTheKiwis
06-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Installed this ROM with no real trouble - it only counted to 4096 but after booting allowed me to format the other 12Gb, so no problem. Looks good apart from the new boot animation - I'm sure some like it but "horses for courses" ...

I would like to install the original Pipo boot animation - does anyone have it separately to the original ROM? Otherwise I guess I'll grab the whole ROM off Pipo's site.

vikidroid
06-11-2013, 07:16 AM
+1 to this question above. i didn't see animation, but i like to have on all my devices original animations.

wit all respect to custom animation maker, it will be so good to have possibility to change it during flash, or at least to leave it in directory and replace it with some animation changer from market.

mr_arnaud
06-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. Sorry, I should have mentioned earlier. When I try to mount sd card the screen just flashes when I press mount and does nothing. I dont get that notification. ???

i all and thank you randy for your ROM. but since i install it on my m8pro 3G, i had the same problem that vipergrm and i can't solve it...

when i check "mount sdcard" under the "nand flash" section nothing happened...

have you solve your trouble ?

thank you
Arnaud

pr0xZen
06-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Did you format the storage? Resized storage must be formatted again to work properly.

mr_arnaud
06-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Did you format the storage? Resized storage must be formatted again to work properly.

when i start in recovery mode and test with "mount /sdcard" or "format /sdcard" i got the message "error mounting /sdcard"...

thank you.
Arnaud

StoneTheKiwis
06-11-2013, 10:00 AM
when i start in recovery mode and test with "mount /sdcard" or "format /sdcard" i got the message "error mounting /sdcard"...

thank you.
Arnaud

Yes, CWM will not format it. But if you boot normally and try to mount the card you will see the little 'failure' icon on the top left - click on that and a menu appears allowing you to format the card.

mr_arnaud
06-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes, CWM will not format it. But if you boot normally and try to mount the card you will see the little 'failure' icon on the top left - click on that and a menu appears allowing you to format the card.

Thank you but i have no message or icon on the top left under android... whenever when it download software to install, no message or information but when i launch google play, there are some software downloading and installing !?? very strange...

i think i willl erase and test again this evening with the method of replace the CRWrecovery by the recovery and invert...
thank you...

Arnaud

vipergrm
06-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Thank you but i have no message or icon on the top left under android... whenever when it download software to install, no message or information but when i launch google play, there are some software downloading and installing !?? very strange...

i think i willl erase and test again this evening with the method of replace the CRWrecovery by the recovery and invert...
thank you...

Arnaud

That is exactly the same trouble I am having. I don't get the little error icon. Also, none of the shortcuts work at the top right and nor doe the 'Home' button. Riley - you mentioned that the 'EraseIDB' step should count up to 16384, but mine only counts to 4096 and I still get the success prompt. Could that be the problem? I am installing the ROM again and will give it another try. If it fails again I will take a video of it and post a link here to show exactly what happens.

vipergrm
06-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Ok, after flashing again I am still getting the same problem. I've taken a YouTube video to show what happens. This is after I perform the reboot using the 'Reboot' app and clear cache in CWM followed by another reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geJuXIHHR7k

You will notice that the [Settings] and [WiFi] buttons don't work on the top right menu. Additionally, the [Home] but does not work. When I select the [Storage] option from the settings menu it quickly flashes with all the used partitions and then does nothing. You will notice that I do not get a prompt to format the SD card. :face

pr0xZen
06-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Ok, after flashing again I am still getting the same problem. I've taken a YouTube video to show what happens. This is after I perform the reboot using the 'Reboot' app and clear cache in CWM followed by another reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geJuXIHHR7k

You will notice that the [Settings] and [WiFi] buttons don't work on the top right menu. Additionally, the [Home] but does not work. When I select the [Storage] option from the settings menu it quickly flashes with all the used partitions and then does nothing. You will notice that I do not get a prompt to format the SD card. :face

Hm. This might have been covered earlier - but does anyone know if there has been any hardware/circuit revisions to the M8 pro? And if so, is there a way to tell besides opening and checking the circuitboard print? Pipo would probably know from the S/N, but I'm not sure how responsive they are (?)

rrileypm
06-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Piping has not released firmware reflecting different PCB versions. Only a wifi version and a 3g version.

The items you see in quotes were my fault. I removed a required app during the debloat...that I replaced and uploaded a new package as soon as I discovered it. The current kit is stable...I'm running it on my tablet right now.

Sent from my M8 pro

vipergrm
06-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Piping has not released firmware reflecting different PCB versions. Only a wifi version and a 3g version.

The items you see in quotes were my fault. I removed a required app during the debloat...that I replaced and uploaded a new package as soon as I discovered it. The current kit is stable...I'm running it on my tablet right now.

Sent from my M8 pro

Randy - not sure if you've had an opportunity to watch the video I posted previously, but have you seen this kind of behaviour before? Note that I am using the 3G version so not sure if that makes any difference. I really would love to get your ROM working. Thanks.

pr0xZen
06-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Fair point - did you remember to replace the app in both Non-3G and 3G rom? And vipergrm; how long since you downloaded the ROM you're flashing? Only a few days since it was updated to fix the missing app.

vipergrm
06-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Fair point - did you remember to replace the app in both Non-3G and 3G rom? And vipergrm; how long since you downloaded the ROM you're flashing? Only a few days since it was updated to fix the missing app.

I'm pretty sure the one I had is older than a few days. I will try it again shortly and see how it goes. Thank you!

rrileypm
06-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Your best bet would be to download the ROM again and reflash. I had to fix several ROMs at once...so I don't know exactly when I did it. I can't access the FTP server to look at the file date/time right now.

Sent from my M8 pro

cenzo6969
06-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Your best bet would be to download the ROM again and reflash. I had to fix several ROMs at once...so I don't know exactly when I did it. I can't access the FTP server to look at the file date/time right now.

Sent from my M8 pro

I also just received my m8 pro 3g version yesterday. flashed your rom last night (4gig app space) and had to go back to stock due to storage not showing correctly home button not working. :DOH

I am in the process of downloading again :cool:

Also noticed wifi on stock 4.2.2 is not very good, the coverage and drop outs are annoying :mad: but do like the pipo launcher.

Edit:
Jus downloaded and tested, same issue returns.

vipergrm
06-12-2013, 09:51 PM
I just tried re-downloading from Page 1 and installed again but exactly the same issue. I really don't know what else to try :confused:

rrileypm
06-12-2013, 09:52 PM
I will check that 3G version again in the morning. I just got off work and I'm pretty beat. I better have a clear head to look into this one.

I appreciate everyone's patience and help with testing.

Randy

vipergrm
06-12-2013, 10:05 PM
I will check that 3G version again in the morning. I just got off work and I'm pretty beat. I better have a clear head to look into this one.

Randy

Thanks a million Randy. Really appreciate your hard work on this!

rrileypm
06-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Just one more thought before signing off for the night.

Since starting to cook ROMs back in February, I've done some 50 ROMs from different devices. Right now the M8 Pro is my flagship device and I want to make it the best it can be. Much of what I learn and test on this tablet I can carry over to the M9...and the M6 which has just hit the streets.

I'm learning how to work out these kinks. But beyond the basic rooting, this stuff is time consuming. As I add something new I will put out more releases. Plus, with each firmware update from Pipo.

I will try to be a little more organized from here on out. My other ROMs only had a handful of users (that I know about). The M8 Pro and the M9 tablets are keeping me on my toes. This is very exciting. I'm happy that I have your support.

You guys are finding typos in my readme files...and bringing other stuff to my attention. Believe me...I'm a user too, so I also want what you want. I appreciate the help.

Randy

cenzo6969
06-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks a million Randy. Really appreciate your hard work on this!

+1

Thank you

ulf.dugic
06-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Thanks Randy, you are the reason that I ordered M8 and can't wait to receive it finally.

But, I'm a little bit confused with all those FWs.
Which M8 FW version is the latest one?

Is it the one from this thread (Pipo M8 Pro 4.2.2 RileyROM 1.5) or the other one from thread (Pipo M8 Max 3066 RileyROM 1.0 (both wifi and 3g))

Thanks

stevejc
06-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Thanks Randy, you are the reason that I ordered M8 and can't wait to receive it finally.

But, I'm a little bit confused with all those FWs.
Which M8 FW version is the latest one?

Is it the one from this thread (Pipo M8 Pro 4.2.2 RileyROM 1.5) or the other one from thread (Pipo M8 Max 3066 RileyROM 1.0 (both wifi and 3g))

Thanks

Be careful, it's not the same M8 (3066) vs M8 PRO (3188) !

mr_arnaud
06-13-2013, 12:56 AM

Randy

hi all,

thank you randy for your time and your work...
i'm still new user of M8PRO and like VIPERGRM i have the 3G version and i have exactly the same probleme.

no matter if we have to wait to have a good ROM. if i can help about something testing, ask me.

Bye Arnaud

ulf.dugic
06-13-2013, 02:17 AM
Be careful, it's not the same M8 (3066) vs M8 PRO (3188) !

Now everything is clear - since I ordered 3188 version (M8 PRO).
So, this Thread is "my thread" :)

Thanks a lot stevejc

desmondo
06-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Hi Riley,

Appreciate the good work is it possible to this rom for 3g version?

Thanks

rrileypm
06-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Hold on. In about an hour I should have an update for the 3G version. I had to fix some things to get the UI to work right.

Wifi only version is ok.

Randy

pr0xZen
06-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Hi Riley,

Appreciate the good work is it possible to this rom for 3g version?

Thanks
http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?5207-Pipo-M8-Pro-4-2-2-RileyROM-1-5&p=70359#post70359

Randy; Maybe you could update the initial post? It still says 1.5 is only for wifi-only units :)

rrileypm
06-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Sounds good. The 3g was a later addition.

I'm uploading the 3g ROM right now with the fixes...I will post here when it's done. It will be 1.5a.

rrileypm
06-13-2013, 12:04 PM
For those of you with the 3G version of this tablet, I have made an important update that will hopefully fix the problems you have been reporting. The 3G is now version 1.5a. Just follow the link in post #1 to the download page where I have updated the download link to the correct file. It is a whole new kit, but it only includes a new system.img file...the rest is the same.

This fix is only intended to get things working that previously weren't.

I'm also working on the requests you have made for additional features/tweaks. Those will come in version 1.6 unless Pipo releases a new firmware before I can get the other stuff done. My priority is to post a rooted version of the latest firmware before anything else.

vipergrm
06-13-2013, 05:06 PM
For those of you with the 3G version of this tablet, I have made an important update that will hopefully fix the problems you have been reporting. The 3G is now version 1.5a. Just follow the link in post #1 to the download page where I have updated the download link to the correct file. It is a whole new kit, but it only includes a new system.img file...the rest is the same.

I'm also working on the requests you have made for additional features/tweaks. Those will come in version 1.6 unless Pipo releases a new firmware before I can get the other stuff done. My priority is to post a rooted version of the latest firmware before anything else.

Fantastic. Thank you! I'm going to give this a try as soon as the golf (US Open) is over. I'm watching it on my M8 Pro and don't want to interrupt it :D

vipergrm
06-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Hazzaa! It's working! I just followed the exact same instructions and it is looking good so far. Format warning now appears and the home and shortcut buttons from the top right menu are now working. Great job Randy! I'll start installing a few more things and let you know if I get into any trouble. Thanks for fixing this so quickly!

rrileypm
06-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Glad it works. Now on to the good stuff.

Randy

cenzo6969
06-14-2013, 02:50 AM
ThanWiFexampm;72895]For those of you wiawesome 3G version of this tablet, I have made an important update that will hopefully fix the problems you have been reporting. The 3G is now version 1.5a. Just follow the link in post #1 to the download page where I have updated the download link to the correct file. It is a whole new kit, but it only includes a new system.img file...the rest is the same.

I'm also working on the requests you have made for additional features/tweaks. Those will come in version 1.6 unless Pipo releases a new firmware before I can get the other stuff done. My priority is to post a rooted version of the latest firmware before anything else.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for updated 3g version of your awsome ROM. Stable and working fine except for eBook reader, keeps crashing, no big deal really has I don't use it anyway. Just feedback.
Also wifi is better than when I was on stock ROM but still not impressed. My cube u30gt had better range :( (now dead, melted in the car) do you think there might be a hardware issue, I'm 3meters line of sight no walls and wifi signal is only half?

Thank you

pr0xZen
06-14-2013, 04:11 AM
To be honest - the only downside to the Pipo M8pro, is that they made the /entire/ back cover in one metal piece. It really hampers wireless signal. If this tablet continues to grow in popularity, we might see an aftermarked back cover in (partial) plastic.

cenzo6969
06-16-2013, 06:25 PM
To be honest - the only downside to the Pipo M8pro, is that they made the /entire/ back cover in one metal piece. It really hampers wireless signal. If this tablet continues to grow in popularity, we might see an aftermarked back cover in (partial) plastic.

Mine fells and sound like its plastic.
I contacted seller, it's not normal to not be able to sit back on my couch 5 meters and a plaster wall (dry wall) away and not be able to surf the net, check emails etc.
when i had my cube u30gt it never missed a beat using it that way and that tab had bad WiFi range.

pr0xZen
06-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Mine fells and sound like its plastic.
I contacted seller, it's not normal to not be able to sit back on my couch 5 meters and a plaster wall (dry wall) away and not be able to surf the net, check emails etc.
when i had my cube u30gt it never missed a beat using it that way and that tab had bad WiFi range.

As some people report great signal, others horrible - I'd suggest, if you're willing to open the back - to check for shorts in the antenna wiring. Result would be very bad wifi signal.

Higgs
06-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Will flashing this rom to my M8 Pro void warranty or can you restore everything back by reinstalling the official firmware?

I'm having a really odd problem where the soft keys stops functioning and would like to try a custom rom instead of the official 4.2.2. But since I suspect I will have to send the tablet back I don't want to void the warranty.

SpencerGlitch
06-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Hi guys,

I've been trying to flash my Pipo stock M8 Pro to RileyRom 1.5, but encouter a problem at the early steps. I did make sure to disable the USB Debugging option... Here's what happens:

- After plugging the USB cable, and with the included RKandroidtool v1.37 program running, I do see the "Found RK Android Mass Storage Device" message at the lower part of the tool's window.

- I then click the Reboot2Flash button and see the message window with the message : Flash Mode Success. The tablet now turns off, but the message "Found RK Android Mass Storage Device" still shows.

- I haven't clicked the "OK" button in this Flash Mode Success Window.
http://imageshack.us/a/img802/4863/he18.jpg

- When I click "OK", I get this window:
http://imageshack.us/a/img341/114/7xat.jpg

- I now can't go to the next step in the provided guide. It's as if I disconnected the tablet. The tablet is actually turned off. I have to hold to power button a few seconds to power it on.

- I go back to step one in the guide and it's the same problem....Tablet turns off.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Help?

vikidroid
06-17-2013, 02:34 AM
spencer, just one question - did you preinstalled drivers?! most often trouble with flashing, or better say not-flashing these devices (not just tablets) is bad, or not installed drivers. go to device manager, see did you tablet shown and how. do a manual (re)installation of drivers and after that do a flash procedure how it is written in readme file.

only one thing is discutable - some number of users say that it is better to use drivers provided with flash tool, in this case "RKAndroid tool" and some number says it is better to use those in rkbatch tool v1,7 (rockchip batch tool 1.7).

so, take look at drivers and after isntallation, reboot and do a procedure. it should work.

higgs, before flashing and returning tablet, do a hard reset of tablet. better say, it is always to do a hard reset after receiving new android device. and about warranty - as there is so many products, manufacturers of andrdoid devices, there is same number of rules about flashing, rooting etc. some of them says that even root will void warranty, and some of them even suggest how to root and encourage to do a custom flash, even name it and link it.

so, there is no absolute answer, and it is better to send a mail to store where you buy it and see what they will say. but, in any case, do a hard reset and probably your problem will be gone.

vipergrm
06-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Hi guys,

I've been trying to flash my Pipo stock M8 Pro to RileyRom 1.5, but encouter a problem at the early steps. I did make sure to disable the USB Debugging option... Here's what happens:

- After plugging the USB cable, and with the included RKandroidtool v1.37 program running, I do see the "Found RK Android Mass Storage Device" message at the lower part of the tool's window.

- I then click the Reboot2Flash button and see the message window with the message : Flash Mode Success. The tablet now turns off, but the message "Found RK Android Mass Storage Device" still shows.

- I haven't clicked the "OK" button in this Flash Mode Success Window.
http://imageshack.us/a/img802/4863/he18.jpg

- When I click "OK", I get this window:
http://imageshack.us/a/img341/114/7xat.jpg

- I now can't go to the next step in the provided guide. It's as if I disconnected the tablet. The tablet is actually turned off. I have to hold to power button a few seconds to power it on.

- I go back to step one in the guide and it's the same problem....Tablet turns off.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Help?

Your device turns off like this because it has rebooted into recovery mode so you have followed the guide correctly. What is most likely the problem is that the Rockchip driver you need in recovery mode is not installed. This is NOT the same driver as you would see in mass recovery mode so make absolutely sure this is installed. Go into device manager and see if you have any yellow explanation marks, or uninstalled drivers. Select the driver that is missing and choose update, then go to the RockusbDriver sub-folder within the downloaded Riley ROM folder and choose the correct driver based on 32-bit or 64-bit and your OS.

Once these drivers are installed you should then be able to select [Flash ROM]. One other note; as advised by Randy previously, make sure you are using the cable that came with the Pipo and also do not use a USB 3.0 port as it is unlikley to work. Good luck

SpencerGlitch
06-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Thank you for the help guys. It was indeed the drivers. I have successfully flashed my Pipo M8 Pro with Riley 1.5

One thing I noticed. I don't know if it's normal.. Auto rotate doesn't seem to be working with the Riley included launcher. I'll try a different launcher. Any recommendations? Thanks!

pr0xZen
06-18-2013, 05:44 AM
Thank you for the help guys. It was indeed the drivers. I have successfully flashed my Pipo M8 Pro with Riley 1.5

One thing I noticed. I don't know if it's normal.. Auto rotate doesn't seem to be working with the Riley included launcher. I'll try a different launcher. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Have you checked that Auto-rotate is not disabled by default in the screen settings? :)

SpencerGlitch
06-18-2013, 06:22 AM
Have you checked that Auto-rotate is not disabled by default in the screen settings? :)

Yeah, auto-rotate was on. But I guess it was just something in the Riley launcher (Apex launcher) setting that I couldn't figure out. I don't know how to get to the settings of the launcher. So I downloaded Nova launcher. It's like a beefed up version of the Riley launcher. And it auto-rotates now. All is well.

Btw, anybody know the differences with the Riley 1.5 and TNT Rom? Are they even different?

rrileypm
06-18-2013, 06:34 AM
If you flashed my ROM you should have the Stock Launcher. Although I use Apex Launcher, I don't put it in my ROM's. You might have my ROM confused with TNT's. I have not had any problems with autorotate on mine.

SpencerGlitch
06-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Hi Riley,

I hope you don't take offense, because I love your passion or the Pipo M8 Pro. I bought it because of your support for it actually. I've been lurking the forums for a week, and I decided to sell my Kata T2 the other day and got this tablet yesterday. I have then compared this to my wife's (double the price) Galaxy Note 10.1 and know that I'm holding a winner of a tablet. It's lighter, just as powerful, and I think it looks really cool with the black Pipo case (the one that doesn't fully cover the back).

I haven't installed the TNT Rom, and really don't think I will. I'm sure I have Riley 1.5 flashed. I tried the Riley 1.5 stock launcher just now, and it really doesn't auto-rotate on my unit. Switching to the Nova launcher I downloaded, the auto-rotate works.

Not a big deal though. Not a deal breaker at all. This is more like a bug report. I don't think I mess up the flashing procedure, since everything went smooth after I figured out I needed the drivers installed. Everything else seems to work well aside from the stock launcher not auto-rotating.. I toggled auto-rotate using the widget as well as the through Settings -> Accessibility.

Again, no big deal. Just reporting.

If you flashed my ROM you should have the Stock Launcher. Although I use Apex Launcher, I don't put it in my ROM's. You might have my ROM confused with TNT's. I have not had any problems with autorotate on mine.

vikidroid
06-18-2013, 06:58 AM
AFAIK, TNT is still on 4.1.x firmware. but, i presume that there is not much difference. root, eliminated chinese applications, maybe some frameworks and build.prop changes, just to be more compatible to google play applications.

now when you learned how to flash it, try both of them, and see which one fits you more.

and, once more to say: after you flash rom, no mather is it stock or custom, do a hard reset and set all on default settings. after flashing and resetting all should be good-cleared cache, cleared data... let's say that is good because OS will "nest" better after flashing.

rrileypm
06-18-2013, 07:02 AM
No problem. I was just pointing out that I just use the stock launcher in my ROMs. Not that I wouldn't love to use Apex, because each time I flash...Apex goes right back on. It could explain why I never noticed the rotation problem because I don't fool with the stock launcher much.

I'm glad you like the tablet/ROM.

Randy

timberman
06-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Im running the riley 1.5 rom for a week now and it seems to be stable. Just got one problem since yesterday evening, my touchscreen wont respond anymore. I tried the reset button at the back with a needle but it doenst seem to work and I can't feel im actually pushing a button or so. Anyone knows how to reset the device? Hopefully it isnt a faulty touchscreen, worked like a charm untill suddenly yesterday the screen stopped working..

dcr33p
06-20-2013, 02:35 AM
Hmm, I returned my device yesterday because of the same problem. Besides touchscreen not responding anymore, sometimes I had "ghost touches" like someone invisible is pressing the touch :)
Take a look at the other thread regarding this issue.

eljuggy
06-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Im running the riley 1.5 rom for a week now and it seems to be stable. Just got one problem since yesterday evening, my touchscreen wont respond anymore. I tried the reset button at the back with a needle but it doenst seem to work and I can't feel im actually pushing a button or so. Anyone knows how to reset the device? Hopefully it isnt a faulty touchscreen, worked like a charm untill suddenly yesterday the screen stopped working..

Did the problem happenned while charging ?

Hi, I had the exact same problem and a reset worked... BUT don't use en needle : it is too thin and if sharp, may damage the tablet !!

I used a thin iron wire (for gardening), but you should use a small "paper clip". There is indeed a " click " when pressing reset switch properly (no force needed)

pr0xZen
06-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Figured it could be too thin, but as I haven't tried it, I was reluctant to say so. Paperclips are usually quite suitable for the average "reset hole" :)

timberman
06-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Did the problem happenned while charging ?

Hi, I had the exact same problem and a reset worked... BUT don't use en needle : it is too thin and if sharp, may damage the tablet !!

I used a thin iron wire (for gardening), but you should use a small "paper clip". There is indeed a " click " when pressing reset switch properly (no force needed)

Thank you! A small piece of iron did the trick! took a few tries to actually hit the tiny button, seemed a bit of center too but after the reset the tablet is working perfect again:).

LordLancifer
06-24-2013, 12:15 AM
I flashed using the 8 gig user app space parameter file. Now I can't download anything on the internet. Even if I moved the download path to the external sd card, it still says that and sd card is required. Any tips? Should I reflash?

pr0xZen
06-24-2013, 01:28 AM
I flashed using the 8 gig user app space parameter file. Now I can't download anything on the internet. Even if I moved the download path to the external sd card, it still says that and sd card is required. Any tips? Should I reflash?

Did you follow the instructions? Or read this thread?

[...] if you boot normally and try to mount the card you will see the little 'failure' icon on the top left - click on that and a menu appears allowing you to format the card.

rrileypm
06-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Keep in mind that that problem only happens if you install CWM as the recovery. The stock recovery goes ahead and formats the internal SD automatically. I'm thinking about not including CWM anymore until I get that problem fixed.

pr0xZen
06-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Keep in mind that that problem only happens if you install CWM as the recovery. The stock recovery goes ahead and formats the internal SD automatically. I'm thinking about not including CWM anymore until I get that problem fixed.

Would you consider making it optional? Maybe posting 1 with CWM, one without? Personally I feel very naked without CWM, but I'd hate to miss out on your ROMs :) I really don't see the problem to be honest - people just need to read the instructions.

Recieved my second M8pro, for Geekbuing this time. Packed like they were shipping porcelain, and it got here in 8 days as Tracked Airmail :O

Its seem to be working well - very well infact. Not liking the stock and Pipo launcher though. It came with the 20130518 4.2.2 ROM, eager to see how the RileyROM 1.5 performs :) Just checking and testing a few things first, and running a batch of a few different benchmarks (AnTuTu & Vellamo) to establish a stock baseline :)

rrileypm
06-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Can you put up some screen shots of Pipo's launcher? I've been wondering what all the fuss was about.

What I try to do...If Fun has a CWM specifically for the tablet is include it as the default recovery. I also include the stock recovery in the kit to flash as an alternative. What I may do is reverse what is the default and make stock the default, and if anyone wants CWM they can flash that instead. If there is no specific CWM for the device...I just put in the stock recovery. I'll leave it up to the users to talk Fun into creating a CWM for them. We have been studying the possibility of creating a Freaktab CWM, but it is a work in progress.

People who are new to flashing ROM's can ease into the more advanced stuff as they learn.

pr0xZen
06-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I just had the same thought, a little late; Leave the CWM recovery in there, but make the stock recovery default ;)

As I saw one of the pointers on the SDK2.0 was HDMI audio passthrough - is it reasonable to assume that the current ROMs available, don't pass through multi-channel audio? Anyone tested this with 1.5 ?

pr0xZen
06-24-2013, 07:35 PM
My M8pro came with [M8pro-eng 4.2.2 JDQ39 eng.root.20130516.105208 test-keys] ROM. I tried my best to do some thorough testing before flashing RileyROM 1.5.

I hit one bump here. WiFi was fast, stable and very good signal on the stock rom it came with. But after flashing to RileyROM 1.5, signal strength is about 2dBm lower, dBm is 5dB lower. Signal is still pretty reasonable - but stability obviously took an impact. It doesn't diconnect, but it fluctates quite alot, and times out atleast once every 5 minutes.

Anyone else experience anything similar? The signal and stability was "golden" with the stock rom, so shouldn't be hardware related.

vipergrm
06-25-2013, 05:31 AM
Anyone else having issues with Bluetooth? I can't get my Pipo M8 to pair with my Bluetooth headphones, nor can I get it to pair with my ODBII car diagnostic Bluetooth dongle. Both of these devices work fine when connected to ny HTC One X. Is there a way to install new Bluetooth drivers?

cenzo6969
06-27-2013, 02:53 AM
Managed to open tablet. Now i know its the black wire which is the wifi antenna.
Now to me it looks ok but another opionion would be great.

cenzo6969
06-27-2013, 02:56 AM
Another close up

pr0xZen
06-27-2013, 05:20 AM
good pics! anything at the other end of those wires? amd is yours Wifi only or 3g?

Sent from my M8 pro using Tapatalk 4 Beta

pan2fire
06-28-2013, 01:11 AM
I tried my best to do some thorough testing before flashing RileyROM 1.5.

I hit one bump here. WiFi was fast, stable and very good signal on the stock rom it came with. But after flashing to RileyROM 1.5, signal strength is about 2dBm lower, dBm is 5dB lower. ...

Anyone else experience anything similar? The signal and stability was "golden" with the stock rom, so shouldn't be hardware related.

I am still waiting for my M8pro so cannot really help there. Good wifi is essential for me as I am taking the device on a trip. I am curious to see if others have the same behaviour with 1.5 or 1.5a.

pr0xZen, have you tried the latest TNT firmware ( http://www.rockchipfirmware.com/node/185 ) just released?
You could compare wifi signals with yet another 4.2 firmware version. It seems to be offering very much the same as 1.5 and hopefully may also retain the better wifi signal.

cenzo6969
06-28-2013, 02:37 AM
good pics! anything at the other end of those wires? amd is yours Wifi only or 3g?

Sent from my M8 pro using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It's 3g version and not sure which end you mean

pr0xZen
06-28-2013, 05:10 AM
I figured it was probably the 3g version because of the 2 wires (leading to 2 antennas, presumably). What I meant about the other end, was ifmyou traced those wires away from the mainboard, and got any pictures of what was in the other end. Hopefully 2 antennas...

cenzo6969
06-28-2013, 03:17 PM
I figured it was probably the 3g version because of the 2 wires (leading to 2 antennas, presumably). What I meant about the other end, was ifmyou traced those wires away from the mainboard, and got any pictures of what was in the other end. Hopefully 2 antennas...

ok when i get back ill take another look

pr0xZen
06-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Great, looking forwards to it :)

cenzo6969
06-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Great, looking forwards to it :)

Managed to get free for lunch.
So colour coded where the ends start and end.

hope that helps

pr0xZen
06-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Great pics, thanks :) Does it look like there is something underneath the black tape, where the solder ends are? (Yellow)

pr0xZen
06-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Randy - maybe you could be so kind as to move these recent posts over to "general discussion"? Most of it has nothing to do with RileyROM.

rrileypm
06-29-2013, 07:36 AM
It is ok. I'm hoping Pipo puts out an update soon. Then I'll start a new thread.

I'll move this over later.

Randy

pr0xZen
06-29-2013, 08:00 AM
It is ok. I'm hoping Pipo puts out an update soon. Then I'll start a new thread.

I'll move this over later.
Randy
Didn't Pipo put out an update a few days ago? I'll send you the links PM.

rrileypm
06-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Ok. I'm on vacation away from a pc. It will be a week before I can do anything.

Randy

pr0xZen
06-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Ok. I'm on vacation away from a pc. It will be a week before I can do anything.

Randy

Okay - for those looking to try it out "as is" (stock) - you'll find it here (WIFI ONLY/NON-3G!!): Here. (http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=987656902&uk=1946954351)

Original forum thread (Pipo official chinese forum) Here. (http://www.pipo.cn/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3462&extra=page%3D1)

AFAIK, you'll need to use RKBatchTool (http://www.nathandickman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/RKBatchTool-v1-7.rar) to flash these original/stock roms - and procedures accordingly. Remember to edit the config.ini file and change line "Lang1File=Chinese.ini" to "Lang1File=English.ini" - unless you can read Chinese that is ;)

As i understand, it comes pre-rooted. It comes with chinese language as default, so you'll have to google for "visual instructions" on how to change it to English (or other language). If you get into settings - Language is the white box with the "A" in it - and "System language" is the entry all the way at the top.

Some have reported problems with wifi based location services - but they've gotten it to work with some toggling on and off and reboots. Google maps is not pre-installed. It is also adviced in the original posting on the Pipo forum, that after intial boot (will take some minutes - just let it work) - you should do a couple of reset and boots. I have no idea why, or if it would work - just relaying what the post says.

EDIT: This seems to be MOD of stock rom. I've been unable to source out the actual pipo release as of yet.

rrileypm
06-29-2013, 08:13 AM
I did bring my laptop. So if I have time, I'll try to cook something up.

Randy

pr0xZen
06-29-2013, 08:19 AM
I did bring my laptop. So if I have time, I'll try to cook something up.

While we all would like to have our updates long before Pipo even thinks about doing them - lets be realistic. There's nothing really "Wrong" with the 1.5. Enjoy your vacation.

rrileypm
06-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Keep me posted on what is new. I am on the road...no wifi.

Randy

stevejc
06-30-2013, 01:15 AM
Okay - for those looking to try it out "as is" (stock) - you'll find it here (WIFI ONLY/NON-3G!!): Here. (http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=987656902&uk=1946954351)

Original forum thread (Pipo official chinese forum) Here. (http://www.pipo.cn/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3462&extra=page%3D1)

AFAIK, you'll need to use RKBatchTool (http://www.nathandickman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/RKBatchTool-v1-7.rar) to flash these original/stock roms - and procedures accordingly. Remember to edit the config.ini file and change line "Lang1File=Chinese.ini" to "Lang1File=English.ini" - unless you can read Chinese that is ;)

As i understand, it comes pre-rooted. It comes with chinese language as default, so you'll have to google for "visual instructions" on how to change it to English (or other language). If you get into settings - Language is the white box with the "A" in it - and "System language" is the entry all the way at the top.

Some have reported problems with wifi based location services - but they've gotten it to work with some toggling on and off and reboots. Google maps is not pre-installed. It is also adviced in the original posting on the Pipo forum, that after intial boot (will take some minutes - just let it work) - you should do a couple of reset and boots. I have no idea why, or if it would work - just relaying what the post says.

EDIT: This seems to be MOD of stock rom. I've been unable to source out the actual pipo release as of yet.

It seems to have a new version here (http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=1501228532&uk=1946954351) post yesterday, source from here : https://www.facebook.com/pipocn?filter=1

cenzo6969
06-30-2013, 02:38 AM
Great pics, thanks :) Does it look like there is something underneath the black tape, where the solder ends are? (Yellow)

Thanks for your patience and hope you we can find a solution.
I have another two pics but has you will see there's nothing solid under the tape just a bronze metallic looking strip.

I'm confused :RED

pr0xZen
06-30-2013, 05:58 AM
That IS the antenna ;) Is there solder between those two solderpoints? or is it /only/ the inner plastic sleeve?

rrileypm
06-30-2013, 08:27 AM
I have just finished 1.6. After I do a test flash, I'll post it.

Just for ProXen, I added 10 and 12 gig parameter files.

Randy

rrileypm
06-30-2013, 09:29 AM
OK, I'm still uploading this, but I'm getting ready to leave to do some stuff with the family.

http://www.freak-tab.de/rrileypm/Pipo_M8_Pro_4.2.2_RileyROM_1.6.zip

Give it about an hour and then you can download this ROM.

pr0xZen
06-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Thank you! I'll be looking forwards to trying it out later :)

rrileypm
06-30-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm having that problem with my battery not charging on my M8 Pro. It went all the way down to 8%. Now it won't boot after being on the charger all night.

Have you read about a fix for that?

Randy

pr0xZen
06-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Not a fix per say, but there is a thread on this over @ SlateDroid. Someone mentioned success by holding the reset button for 1-3 /MINUTES/ - then the power button for 5-10 sec after the screen comes on. Worth a shot

vikidroid
06-30-2013, 11:49 AM
so, problem with low battery is taking a number of users. what is going on?! :WTF

bug, feature (hardly), customizing firmware??? it seems that i will have to sell it very quick after it arrive to me. i expect it in this week. sadly, i must seek for buyer so quick. that is not something that user can "cross over". very similar thing is with newer prestigio models. but, on them is just screen light off after low battery. no problem with boot after discharged battery as is with pipo...

rrileypm
06-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Ok. I'll try resetting tonight.

Randy

pr0xZen
06-30-2013, 03:18 PM
The first things to try out are 1: Does it charge when powered off. 2: Does deleting batterystats.bin affect the problem? I have not experienced this myself, so I haven't had the opportunity to do any proper investigation. But, if you look at the threads here and over at SlateDroid pertaining this, there are a few common points. These have led me to suspect either a triggered overcharge protection in the batterys protective circuit, or a secondary charging/power controller onboard the mainboard that is acting up. If it turns out to bo be the latter, this could hopefully be reset by ways of the reset switch. I guess holding it for a long time might trigger a hard system reset. A secondary power management circuit could also explain why the tablet is so picky in regards to 3rd party chargers. And - it could possibly be fixed through firmware. Impossible to know without Pipo's say-so though...

rrileypm
06-30-2013, 07:43 PM
I hope you are right because as of this morning my tablet only showed the kernel logo briefly.

I'll be trying the reset pretty soon.

Randy

pr0xZen
07-01-2013, 04:59 AM
I hope you are right because as of this morning my tablet only showed the kernel logo briefly.

I'll be trying the reset pretty soon.
Randy
Btw - does the little red led in the reset hole come on at all? And how about the led on the charger?

rrileypm
07-01-2013, 07:52 AM
The LED on the tablet doesn't come on. The charger LED comes on when it is plugged in.

Last night I tried holding the reset button for 5 minutes. This didn't work. Now my tablet is completely dead.

Thanks to Eric at Geekbuying, though...I have a replacement in its way.

Randy

pr0xZen
07-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Good to hear he came through. We should find a way to return it to pipo, and get a proper log on testing, fault searching and any repairs or alterations. Maybe he can help us out with this? This problems occurrance is too high to be ignored.

I've already got a coversation going with Pipo in regards to this, will post report once and if they give any useful replies.

rrileypm
07-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Just a note for all m8 pro owners.

Don't ever let the battery run all the way down. It will no longer charge, and you can't recover.

Randy

pr0xZen
07-01-2013, 10:58 AM
If you look at the general discussion thread, someone already reported going all empty an recharging without problem. So it doesn't affect all units but its a good precaution.
Some have been able to charge it up full after going empty (led indicator lighting and battery measured full charge - but were unable to power on. One report of this booted after hard reset.

vikidroid
07-02-2013, 03:02 AM
is there any news about that reset button holding procedure? i contacted pipo, local service, pipo on FB, but still no answer from no one. :face

pr0xZen
07-02-2013, 06:35 AM
I have been speaking to Pipo about this issue, and a more than a few emails have been going back and forth.

The Pipo representative is a little reluctant to give any direct advice on hardware repairs, but they're slowly coming along. It seems to be narrowed down to a few possibilities;

This is (however possible, but) unlikely a software/firmware issue. I'm still awaiting a proper confirmation on wether or not the mainboard has a secondary charge controller - but from the looks of it so far, the 2 likely culprits are either;
A loose connection on the charger socket (a bad design here could explain several other reported issues, too).
OR
A failed battery protective circuit.

To be honest, I'm hoping for the latter. The charger socket would probably be surface mounted to the PCB - making it a nightmare to work with. The battery protecive circuit however, is a small PCB between the battery cells and the mainboard. If you trace the 2 wires to the battery (red & black) from the mainboard, thats where you'll end up. Unless the battery is damaged (unlikely, as the breakdown of the circuit should indicate it did its job) - this means it should be a case of just exchanging this little PCB. We would need to find one with the appropriate specifications - and I suspect one with a bit higher overcharge protection limit, than the original. We also need to check the original, to see how many cells the original battery is composed of - so to get a PCB with the right number of terminals.

Thats what I've got so far.

vikidroid
07-02-2013, 11:15 AM
see, you at least received some answer. for my questions still nothing.

but, i have another tought - is this problem with m8pro model only, or there is some other problematic models from pipo? as far i saw till now, just m8pro owners reporting problem. so, maybe bad serie of products?:WTF

pr0xZen
07-02-2013, 12:11 PM
My thought is that they may have selected to use a battery protective circuit with limits too close to normal operational voltages/currents. While most of them are /supposed/ to open up again once voltage/current returns to acceptable levels - these type of circuits are well known to "lock up for good" once triggered. For now, this is just speculation - but if Pipo now confirms or debunks that there is a secondary power controller on the mainboard, this should offer further clarity. At this point I'm hoping this is the case, because it doesn't look like it is a firmware issue. And while replacing a Li-Poly battery protective circuit PCB isn't a plug-n-play job, it is still doable for anyone with a soldering iron and a steady hand.

At what adress did you contact pipo?

vikidroid
07-02-2013, 12:19 PM
huh, there is so many "ifs", "maybes" and stuff. it seems that there is hardware problem and it is present on m8pro models. if i'm right, there is no such problems, or, at least i didn't find them, on model m8 (rockchip 3066) and/or m9, which is also 3188 chip. m6 is too new and not many reviews, users... now we must wait.

what address... huh.... really, there is so many of them... all what i managed to find - sales, tech support, resellers, FB-pipo, FB-pipo market/store, and croatian general dealer/service. no one single answer. why - i do not understand.... at least that they tell me "return it to seller", or anything....

pr0xZen
07-02-2013, 12:29 PM
How long since you contacted them? There should be an adress on the pipo.com.cn page for international after-sale support.

Yes, there's alot of ifs and buts here. I'm trying my best to figure this out, without having experienced the fault myself or having a faulty tablet to inspect. That means there will be some speculations until pipo can confirm the details, and I have been clear about that.
The M8 and M8pro may look alike on the outside, but they're not the same on the inside.

vikidroid
07-02-2013, 12:51 PM
yes, that is first address where i send question. as i wrote before, all addresses i foud with sellers, resellers, i wrote a message to all. and local service. when... hm.... during weekend, saturday and sunday. ok, let's say that they have hundreds mails per day, so, i hope to receive answer this week.

that's ok - m8 and m8pro are same ouside, different inside. i'm aware of that. but, that i wrote just for comparisment - is same thing happened with that model also? not that we can replace some parts or do a "franken8" pipo.

just poped on my mind - there is one colegue that is photographer and tester for one shop here in croatia. he, just now, has one m9 in test, and he do not have this problem. or, at least not until now. he is using it for some ten days. i specify that problem is shown when battery is drained out, but he never let that happened. lower was 5% (according to tablet) and he put it on charger. so, that is not much of help, i know. i asked him that he drain battery out complitelly and to try to charge it and boot it. so, i'm waiting for response today or tomorrow.

pr0xZen
07-02-2013, 01:00 PM
I've used this m8pro for a week now, no hardware problems or problems with charging that I don't have myself to blaim for (tried charging with a cheap aftermarked charger). I haven't run the battery completely down yet - and I guess you can understand why I try not to do so... :)

vikidroid
07-02-2013, 01:14 PM
absolutely that i understand! but, still, that is mayor problem. i'll try to find other pipo models on forums and see is there similar problem. just when many folks told that pipo is today one of best chinese tablet producers, they managed to dissapoint us. m9 is too large model, s2 is little to small and slower, so m models are just in the middle. and we have such luck that they are faulty. i'll see what will happen with mine, but i started to finding buyer. it is annoying to check battery every minute to see am i on 10% or 25...

pr0xZen
07-02-2013, 01:20 PM
For now -have you considered setting an alarm for low battery, that runs high priority (always active regardless of sleep mode) ?

stevejc
07-02-2013, 01:36 PM
I've got the same problem on my phone one month after buying it. It was a general problem with a component during a period of production. For the moment no problem with my M8 pro, crossing fingers.

vikidroid
07-02-2013, 01:47 PM
For now -have you considered setting an alarm for low battery, that runs high priority (always active regardless of sleep mode) ?
that is good idea. but, i still didn't got my tablet, i'm expecting it these days. but, what i reading more those posts and other forums, i'm gettin' feeling that i make mistake with purchase.
i must say that i fell in love on first sight when i saw m8 model, but, our love will last short! ;-)

pr0xZen
07-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Good to hear. Do keep in mind, the M8pro has sold really well. The fact that we have several reports on this, means itmis a potential weakness. The fact that we haven't had more than we do, would suggest the problem isn't as widespread as feared. That is leaves little comfort for the ones that DO have this problem, but it makes the failure risk smaller for the potential buyer.

Most forum participants like this are either enthusiasts or people with a product problem. The average user without any problems, rarely make themselves noticed.

My point is - don't get too worked up about the problems a small number of users have reported. If you see hundreds reporting the same problem, thats when you start to worry.

vikidroid
07-02-2013, 02:05 PM
i know for m8 and well sell of it. if i remember well, somebody wrote earlyer that m8, m9 are top models and that pipo will try to push them to european market as much as they can. and that sounds logically. and because of that, it is strange that pipo make mistake with m8pro. is it m8pro affected only, is it faulty only one, two series...? as i wrote earyer, does m8, plain, normal 3066 model, has same problem?

in any case i'll keep looking this forum (and others, of course), and as i'm writing this, i think to order one more m8-dual core model. just to see and find is there same problem.
if pipo confess that that is their mistake, than all faulty models should be returned to them and changed. little gamble and many nerves to ship it back and wait for resending.

pr0xZen
07-02-2013, 02:19 PM
The odds that you'll have this problem with any of your tablets are small. Pipo have probably sold 50.000 of these by now, and so far I've only seen 5-6 reports 0f this issue on FreakTab and SlateDroid combined. There are most likely alot more than those 5-6, but if the fault percentages were really high, then we should have seen MANY more reports of the same issue, both here and on SlateDroid. We would probably also have seen a PCB revision, and ther have been no news of that.

I cannot speak about faults with the M8, as I have not investigated on that. Pipos tablets are pretty great for chinese tablets of todays marked - but there's still a reason they're 2-250 dollars, not 6-800. If you expect Asus, sony or samsung quality and service - then you'll most likely have to pay an Asus, sony or samung price.

There's an universal rule of thumb regarding manufacturing. Yo can make it quickly, you can make it high quality, or you can make it cheap. You can ONLY make it 2 of these. Any combination of all 3 is a lucky anomality.

mryeo
07-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Hi all,

Just received my first android tablet. I am very new to rooting and i am facing the same problem as Spencer in the earlier posts.

I'd connected the tablet to PC(Winxp) and i don't see any unknown devices in the device manager.
http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/7290/ub7s.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/ub7s.jpg/)

And I went on to continue updating the driver for "USB Mass Storage Device" through RileyRom1.5>RockUsbDriver>XP

This is what i encounter:
http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/6644/jcrx.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/jcrx.jpg/)

Can anyone guide me through this phase? :confused:

rrileypm
07-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Installing drivers is tricky.

On the tablet, look in settings, developer options and make sure USB debugging is unchecked.

Try a different USB cable, if you have one.

Make sure your cable is plugged directly into a USB 2.0 port. Not through a hub.

With the tablet plugged in via USB, go to device manager and delete the current driver and manually install it again.

Hopefully all of those steps will produce good results.

Randy

mryeo
07-02-2013, 11:51 PM
I guess i managed to install the driver :)

My first time flashing the ROM i encounter error therefore i followed the 2nd part of the "readme" and i encounter the problem, "parameterFile not exist". :(

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5258/1gf5.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/1gf5.jpg/)

vikidroid
07-03-2013, 02:20 AM
The odds that you'll have this problem with any of your tablets are small. Pipo have probably sold 50.000 of these by now, and so far I've only seen 5-6 reports 0f this issue on FreakTab and SlateDroid combined. There are most likely alot more than those 5-6, but if the fault percentages were really high, then we should have seen MANY more reports of the same issue, both here and on SlateDroid. We would probably also have seen a PCB revision, and ther have been no news of that.

I cannot speak about faults with the M8, as I have not investigated on that. Pipos tablets are pretty great for chinese tablets of todays marked - but there's still a reason they're 2-250 dollars, not 6-800. If you expect Asus, sony or samsung quality and service - then you'll most likely have to pay an Asus, sony or samung price.

There's an universal rule of thumb regarding manufacturing. Yo can make it quickly, you can make it high quality, or you can make it cheap. You can ONLY make it 2 of these. Any combination of all 3 is a lucky anomality.

according to your post, and great amount of optimism, this could be some faulty series of tablets.... i really hope that your'e right.

and those rule you wrote - i like it very much. and it is so true!!

pr0xZen
07-03-2013, 07:29 AM
Hi all,

Just received my first android tablet. I am very new to rooting and i am facing the same problem as Spencer in the earlier posts.

I'd connected the tablet to PC(Winxp) and i don't see any unknown devices in the device manager.

And I went on to continue updating the driver for "USB Mass Storage Device" through RileyRom1.5>RockUsbDriver>XP
Can anyone guide me through this phase? :confused:

You might need to reboot2flash first - otherwise the tablet IS mounted as an "USB Mass Storage Device", and will be handled accordingly.
I suggest you have the Device Manager open, and be really quick about right-clicking the device when it pops up there (after clicking reboot2flash), and then update driver.

rrileypm
07-03-2013, 07:37 AM
I guess i managed to install the driver :)

My first time flashing the ROM i encounter error therefore i followed the 2nd part of the "readme" and i encounter the problem, "parameterFile not exist". :(

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5258/1gf5.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/1gf5.jpg/)

On the flash tool to the right of the path to each file to be flashed is a button that allows you to browse for the file to select it. Sometimes the config file doesn't save the path correctly, so you can manually select these files. Parameter is the first file in the list, which causes the error, but I'm afraid you will need to select each file with your PC's path to the files. All ROM files are in a sub folder of the kit called ROM.

Try that and see.

meonm8pro
07-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Don't know, if someone already reported it. But a new official ROM for the M8 Pro 3G model has landed. It's called PiPO M8pro software_3G_english version_android 4.2_20130628 . Nice, ugh? It was published yesterday. No changelog (no surprise).

pr0xZen
07-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Yay for the 3g users! ...poor Randy though, can't catch a break :/

mryeo
07-04-2013, 07:25 AM
On the flash tool to the right of the path to each file to be flashed is a button that allows you to browse for the file to select it. Sometimes the config file doesn't save the path correctly, so you can manually select these files. Parameter is the first file in the list, which causes the error, but I'm afraid you will need to select each file with your PC's path to the files. All ROM files are in a sub folder of the kit called ROM.

Try that and see.

Yeah manage to resolve and installed with the 4.2.2 rom.
Thanks guys for the help!

pr0xZen
07-04-2013, 07:50 AM

This - or rename the subfolder/subdirectory containing the ROM files (most likely named RileyROM) - to ROM (wich is the preset folder/directory).

It ammounts to a whole lot less clicking/typing ;)

( @rrileypm - in the RileyROM 1.6 (M8pro) you named the rom folder "RileyROM" ... :) If you're going to keep it, I suggest modifying 900supersportconfig.cfg to support the new path)

vikidroid
07-06-2013, 12:12 PM
hello 2 all!

here is finally one answer about dead tablets. it came from croatian service, but just as "try, you can't broke nothing more".

guy said: just unplug battery wait few moments, and reconnect again. that should wake up tablet.

so, it is only to try. there is really no greater harm to do.

and, if somebody try that, please, send a feedback!

pr0xZen
07-06-2013, 02:04 PM
It has been tried, many have had little or no success. But it HAVE worked for SOME - so its not to be completely disregarded. But this is a last resort solution if you're not willing to or can't send it back - as it involves soldering inside the tablet. Even if it does work and something else breaks later, you can forget about seller or Pipo warranty, returns and most repairs. Nobody will guarantee for a repair on a unit, that has already been physically altered.

But if you have a tablet that won't charge or turn on at all - and can't return it...well as you say - in that case, you can hardly make it any worse.

vikidroid
07-07-2013, 07:34 AM
absolutely! if there is good will to send tablet back to china, and loose time and nerves, this is NOT good solution. but, as there are already some disassembled tablets, i think that that owner do not have intention to send it back. so this with battery maybe be helpfull.

in any other case - think twice before. and, just for my curiousity, i do not know is battery wires soldered to board or there is some connector.

pr0xZen
07-07-2013, 07:52 AM
absolutely! if there is good will to send tablet back to china, and loose time and nerves, this is NOT good solution. but, as there are already some disassembled tablets, i think that that owner do not have intention to send it back. so this with battery maybe be helpfull.

in any other case - think twice before. and, just for my curiousity, i do not know is battery wires soldered to board or there is some connector.

Soldered straight to the board, red & bkack wire. Impossible not to see, and relatively large solder pads on the bottom edge on the mainboard. Use a low-wattage 20w or less, or temp-controlled soldering iron - or you can risk that the solder pad detaches from the PCB because of the heat.

206mm x 94mm x 4.5mm is supposedly the maximum size that will fit, if you're looking to change the battery assembly. Personally I've been eyeing this one for a while: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/L216-3-7V-9000mAH-PLIB-polymer-lithium-ion-Li-ion-battery-Samsung-product-for-tablet/200272_898981991.html

bicnop
07-07-2013, 08:29 AM
my temporary solution for my low battery problem:

install "Llama - Location Profiles" and "Quick Shutdown" from playstore.
add an event in Llama to run Quick Shutdown app when the battery goes below 5% :

- open Llama
- click Events
- click + (bottom right corner)
- click Add Condition
- click Battery Level
- set it to 5% or whatever you want then click ok
- click Add Action
- click Run Application
- choose Quick Shutdown
- click Advanced...
- set Delay to 1 minute or whatever you want
- set Repeat event to 2 minutes
- click back
- click Test Actions
- grant SU permission to Quick Shutdown

vikidroid
07-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Soldered straight to the board, red & bkack wire. Impossible not to see, and relatively large solder pads on the bottom edge on the mainboard. Use a low-wattage 20w or less, or temp-controlled soldering iron - or you can risk that the solder pad detaches from the PCB because of the heat.

206mm x 94mm x 4.5mm is supposedly the maximum size that will fit, if you're looking to change the battery assembly. Personally I've been eyeing this one for a while: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/L216-3-7V-9000mAH-PLIB-polymer-lithium-ion-Li-ion-battery-Samsung-product-for-tablet/200272_898981991.html

huh, so, still not work to everybody... for me, no problem. i'm old school electrotehnician, soldering is not strange. but ok, even that owner of broken tablet is not good with that, there must be someone to do that procedure.

and about this battery, looks good. but, if i decide to keep my tablet, it is not available for me - seler doesn't send to croatia. but, i do not have doubts that that is not only store with batterys. but, in any case, good to know that there is battery that fits to m8.

pr0xZen
07-07-2013, 10:04 AM
huh, so, still not work to everybody... for me, no problem. i'm old school electrotehnician, soldering is not strange. but ok, even that owner of broken tablet is not good with that, there must be someone to do that procedure.

and about this battery, looks good. but, if i decide to keep my tablet, it is not available for me - seler doesn't send to croatia. but, i do not have doubts that that is not only store with batterys. but, in any case, good to know that there is battery that fits to m8.

Can help someone where the battery protective ciruit have blocked the connection, but still is working as it should. But if it has "locked up" permanently, or it is fried - then you need to change the circuit, or the battery pack wich includes the circuit.

There is plenty of batteries to be found around, tons on ebay too.

vikidroid
07-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Can help someone where the battery protective ciruit have blocked the connection, but still is working as it should. But if it has "locked up" permanently, or it is fried - then you need to change the circuit, or the battery pack wich includes the circuit.

There is plenty of batteries to be found around, tons on ebay too.

yes, but how to know is protective circuit or fried? that will be good to explain. i'm just sad because pipo itself doesn't send any answers.

pr0xZen
07-07-2013, 10:38 AM
I spoke to Pipo about this, and my impression is that they don't really know the full design of that circuit - they order the whole battery pack as one unit, and replace the whole thing if somethings malfunctioning - not just the small protective circuit pcb.
I don't understand your question though.

BamaPanda
07-11-2013, 08:38 AM
First post on this forum. Looks to be a really great forum.

Thanks for this rom, Mr. Riley.

I do wish to ask if there are any glitches that have shown up lately with this rom ...(b4 I load) :)

and ..looking at your notes, is this pretty much on track?

1 After extraction, open the main folder and run the flash tool as administrator.
2 Tab is on. Make sure USB debugging is turned off.
3 Unmount and remove your external SD card (http://viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=883&m=1092111997&q=n&rdgt=1373462525&it=1373635325&et=1374067325&priceret=129.99&pg=~~3&k=445b47345717b18b70f985b818c72e29&source=feed&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsears%2Erdr%2Echannelintelligence %2Ecom%2Fgo%2Easp%3FfVhzOGNRAAQIASNiE1NbQBVtFXdyYx 0CTAICI2BbH1lLEm8LP3QvUVpEREdlfUAUHAQPLVpFTVdtJzxA HUNYW3AhQBM0QhFvEXAbYh8EAAVmb2JcV1hCFWgPc3QDEkFZVQ 0WFhdRW0MWbgYWDlxzdGMdAVgWRi0xDAwPFhw9TSobb05eWVVY KzsLTFVVQi5RICs3SA8MU1s2MQQKD1wf%26nAID%3D5784816&st=feed&mt=~~~~~~~~n~~~).
4 Plug in USB cable to tab and PC. Use USB, not host on the tab.
5 Flash tool should recognise your tab after a bit if drivers are there.
6 Click 'Reboot to flash'. You should get a confirmation box that it worked "Flash Mode Success", and the notification area will change to "Found RKAndroid Loader Rock Usb"
7 After a few seconds click 'EraseIDB'.
It should count up to 16384. If it doesn't count all the way to 16384, you don't have a proper connection...so start over by rebooting to system. You will get a confirmation box that says Erasing IDB OK. Click OK.
8 Now, click "Flash ROM". The ROM tool will write the ROM to your tablet and then check the installation.

Thanks

:CLAP

pr0xZen
07-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Sounds good. If you don't have the drivers installed already, first go to control panel > system > advanced system settings > hardware tab : Device installation settings. Check "No, let me decide" and "Never install driver software from windows update", then store settings.

This way, windows can't automatically install any (wrong) drivers. After reboot to flash and windows says it cant install drivers - go to the Device Manager, right-click the Unknown Device and Update Driver. After that, you can restore the settings to what they were before.

pan2fire
07-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Sounds good. If you don't have the drivers installed already, first go to control panel > system > advanced system settings > hardware tab : Device installation settings. Check "No, let me decide" and "Never install driver software from windows update", then store settings.

This way, windows can't automatically install any (wrong) drivers. After reboot to flash and windows says it cant install drivers - go to the Device Manager, right-click the Unknown Device and Update Driver. After that, you can restore the settings to what they were before.
So that Windows does not see your tablet as a mass storage device you can proceed this way (worked for me in Windows XP):

Tablet OFF and connected to the PC. While holding the ESC button down (the rocker on the right), press the POWER button. Windows will try to install a new driver. This is the rockusb driver it's looking for. Use this mode to flash a firmware. Note that at first the tablet will be displayed as an unknown device in Device Manager. You need to install the driver manually by pointing Windows to the appropriate folder which contain the rockusb.sys and inf files.

pr0xZen
07-11-2013, 09:22 PM
So that Windows does not see your tablet as a mass storage device you can proceed this way (worked for me in Windows XP):

Tablet OFF and connected to the PC. While holding the ESC button down (the rocker on the right), press the POWER button. Windows will try to install a new driver. This is the rockusb driver it's looking for. Use this mode to flash a firmware. Note that at first the tablet will be displayed as an unknown device in Device Manager. You need to install the driver manually by pointing Windows to the appropriate folder which contain the rockusb.sys and inf files.

That is a nice tip for users, could work for some that have gotten stuck in bootloop. If its not there already - I shall see that it is made known.

Windows seeing your tablet as a USB Mass Storage device - as long as the tablet IS in USB Mass Storage MODE - is NOT a problem. This is how it is supposed to be. Each "mode" on the tablet has its own Hardware ID - so the computer sees it as 2 completely different devices, not a single composite device with 1 driver.
The issue is when you boot into loader mode ("flash mode") while connected. If you have a fairly updated windows version, it will most likely find a mismatched driver and install it - instead of coming up as an "Unknown Device". Once this happens - there's no going back (except for rollback/system restore - or a fresh Windows install). I laboured hard on this, and found no way to remove the established link between the hardware ID and the mismatched driver. As the mismatched driver is an MS driver - you cannot uninstall and delete the actual driver either (as you can with 2nd/3rd party drivers).

This is why you should set "Never download driver software from Windows Update", before booting/rebooting to loader mode ("flash mode") the first time, and installing the driver. Once the driver is installed, you can go ahead and revert to the former settings if you want.

BamaPanda
07-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Riley ROM loaded! All right.

Couple of general questions.

Once I load a launcher of my choice, can I delete the stock one ...or does it have to stay?

I have two browsers, and that is OK ...but if I wanted ...could I dump Chrome ....load it back later?

Pretty kewl. Thanks for the help, guys.

pan2fire
07-12-2013, 02:37 AM
That is a nice tip for users, could work for some that have gotten stuck in bootloop. If its not there already - I shall see that it is made known...

This is why you should set "Never download driver software from Windows Update", before booting/rebooting to loader mode ("flash mode") the first time, and installing the driver. Once the driver is installed, you can go ahead and revert to the former settings if you want.

I guess that's what they call the luck of the beginner. I don't even know how to place the tablet into loader mode. I simply installed the drivers by starting the tablet from off with the ESC key trick mentioned before. Windows found the new unknown hardware, did not install the drivers automatically (I think though that I had disabled automatic driver updates a long time ago).
It let me tick "I have a disk" and let me refuse to let it search for drivers. I only had to point it to where the correct drivers were.

So far I have not flashed the ROM, only rooted the tablet to be able to save the stock Pipo boot animation to re-install if after flashing... sorry Randy.

Now to flashing (with 1.6)...

pr0xZen
07-12-2013, 05:34 AM
Riley ROM loaded! All right.

Couple of general questions.

Once I load a launcher of my choice, can I delete the stock one ...or does it have to stay?

I have two browsers, and that is OK ...but if I wanted ...could I dump Chrome ....load it back later?

Pretty kewl. Thanks for the help, guys.
Sure you can delete the stock launcher (as far as I know) - but take a backup. Or, rename the launcher .apk to .bak, move it to SD - or you can "freeze" it with titanium backup. I'm not saying you shouldn't delete it - but it might be wise to keep it "available", in case the new one crashes.

I guess that's what they call the luck of the beginner. I don't even know how to place the tablet into loader mode. I simply installed the drivers by starting the tablet from off with the ESC key trick mentioned before. Windows found the new unknown hardware, did not install the drivers automatically (I think though that I had disabled automatic driver updates a long time ago).
It let me tick "I have a disk" and let me refuse to let it search for drivers. I only had to point it to where the correct drivers were.

Not absolutely everyone has ended up with this driver issue when connecting/booting loader mode, with Windows Update drivers Enabled - but FAR too many have, to not strongly warn against it and provide instructions how to work around it. There is also that, once it has happened - you're screwed.

Windows XP, today, is well known for its "2nd/3rd party driver friendlyness" - especially when compared to the subsequent Windows versions. It was also (I think) the last Windows version to "easily" support direct I/O access to ports. And - XP is not as "intrusive" as subsequent versions, in regards to driver installation - although auto driver mismatching - does happen sometimes with XP too. So thread carefully ;)

BamaPanda
07-12-2013, 06:21 AM
rock chip drivertthiss what they call the luck of the beginner. I don't even know how to place the tablet into loader mode. I simply installed the drivers by starting the tablet from off with the ESC key trick mentioned before. Windows found the new unknown hardware, did not install the drivers automatically (I think though that I had disabled automatic driver updates a long time ago).

So far I have not flashed the ROM, only rooted the tablet to be able to save the stock Pipo boot animation to re-install if after flashing... sorry Randy.

Now to flashing (with 1.6)...

Not sure why, but when I tried the start with the M8 off, it would never start at all...just sat there.

Still able to get the rockchip driver to load ...tab just had to be on when I plugged in the USB.

mryeo
07-12-2013, 06:28 AM
hi

i run antutu and it shows rk30board to my m8 pro.. isnt it should reflect as rk31 instead?

pr0xZen
07-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Not sure. So many things from former versions, worked more or less "out of the box" for the 3188 - they seem to have reused many things without bothering renaming them. You could try updating drivers..? I think that although the old drivers worked with the 3188, the support wasn't intended - more a happy incident. The new drivers were designed for full 3188 support.

rrileypm
07-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Well, this thread is based on the RileyROM 1.5, so I'm assuming you are running this ROM right now. To explain a little, I discovered that at least on the first Rockchip SDK for 4.2.2 many of the tools and apps were held over from 4.1.1 and the first 3188 firmware was a derivative of the 3066 firmware...so you will find references to 3066 all over the place (it was the same when the 3066 chip came out.) It was actually good news to us developers, because many of the tools we use are compatible with each chip.

The firmware developers kind of take a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to changing some things, so you can find little things like that here and there. I'm sure that Antutu looks for a label somewhere in the build.prop that doesn't matter to the functionality of the firmware...but sort of identifies the chipset.

I wouldn't place too much stock in the Antutu scores, for now...especially when you are running SDK 2.0...which, by the way isn't on THIS ROM.

Have you tried version 1.6, yet?

mryeo
07-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Yes i am using the latest 1.6 rom. I do not want to touch on the drivers because if any mishaps then I am going to have a hard time to get it re-work(flashing rom).

What cause me wondering is that if its not rk3188, then can it be flash in the first place..

rrileypm
07-12-2013, 10:09 AM
If you have successfully flashed once your drivers are installed and won't change. Future flashes will be much easier for you to do...just run the flash tool.

Sent from my M5

rrileypm
07-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Trust me...this IS a 3188 device. As I explained...references to other Rockchip versions are still running throughout the firmware...but it doesn't really matter because it all works anyway.

Try not to take everything you see within the guts of Android literally. It is always a work in progress.

Sent from my M5

mryeo
07-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Of course I do :-)
Thank you for your enlightment

pr0xZen
07-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Once you have successfully installed RockChip drivers, and as you've flashed to RileyROM, you know they work - then your drivers are safe. There will be no problem updating them. As long as you manually select the new RockChip drivers (Don't let Winows search or choose one for you) - updating RockChip drivers with newer RockShip drivers, is perfectly safe. The "risky part" is the first time you connect and install them.

Newest RockChip drivers are v. 3.5. If you boot to flash mode, right-click the RockChip device in Device Manager, and go to Driver Details or such. It should say what your current driver version is.

rrileypm
07-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Hey, guys...I just posted 1.7...you might try it (wifi only, right now).

Changed Superuser.apk and added VPN support.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?5836-Pipo-M8-Pro-4-2-2-RileyROM-1-7

BamaPanda
07-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Just poking around. Is there any reason to have two build.prop files?

One shows a question mark when opened in ES File Explorer.

rrileypm
07-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Nope...you can delete it.

It was a backup created by the text editor when I changed it. It shouldn't cause any problems, though.

BamaPanda
07-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Nope...you can delete it.

It was a backup created by the text editor when I changed it. It shouldn't cause any problems, though.

Curious. It won't delete ..nor can I change permissions in SD Maid.

:(

rrileypm
07-13-2013, 09:03 PM
You just need to make sure your file manager is set to have root (read/write) access. You can do that in the preferences of the file manager.

BamaPanda
07-14-2013, 08:37 AM
You just need to make sure your file manager is set to have root (read/write) access. You can do that in the preferences of the file manager.
Got it.

Not sure exactly what I did, but I worked on the settings in ES3 Explorer, along with the ES Task Manager ..and it worked.

NEW QUESTION:
Never used CWM. It is now on the tab with the Rileyrom loaded.

To load the latest Rileyrom, I just put the new rom zip file on my sd card, boot to recovery and follow my nose ...right?

I am asking because I had seen two ways to do this ..one placing the zip on the card; the other placing the zip in root.

This is so kewl! Thanks. :BANANA

pr0xZen
07-14-2013, 09:02 AM
No. At this point in time, RileyROMs for RK3xxx devices are NOT CWM flashable. For a detailed explanation, see the First Time User Readme. New RileyROMs, and/or other ROMs must be flashed by cable, as the first time.

rrileypm
07-14-2013, 10:36 AM
I do have a template to install our ROM's via CWM, however until we get a device specific version of CWM for the M8 Pro, I'm afraid we can't use it just yet.

I looked over at Fun's thread on XDA...(which I can't seem to post on...for some reason) and I haven't seen any recent posts by him. If we could get Fun to produce a CWM specific to the M8 Pro, future ROM's can be flashed via CWM...I can put the template in with the ROM kit.

BTW.....So...why all the posts on this thread? Any love for the 1.7 version?

pr0xZen
07-14-2013, 11:52 AM

The majority of new forum users, rarely give much thought to what topic they post in. They just go where the large post numbers are - indicates activity and most likely a rapid response.

Maybe it that time for another mod is closer than anticipated - guess the activity (especially on the Pipo category) has risen alot lately.

rrileypm
07-14-2013, 11:55 AM
I stickied the most recent versions of the top 3 devices. Maybe that will make things easier.

Sent from my M8 pro

pr0xZen
07-14-2013, 12:05 PM
I stickied the most recent versions of the top 3 devices. Maybe that will make things easier.

Sent from my M8 pro

Lets hope so. Maybe you could tidy up this one, move over the non-rom specifics to the General Dsicussion thread or similar. Just a thought - but maybe not a highly neccessary move :)

rrileypm
07-14-2013, 12:50 PM
I'll leave it as it is.

Everyone, unless you are currently using version 1.5...please take further discussion of this tablet to the 1.7 thread. Further support is always done with the latest version.

Link (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?5837-Pipo-M8-Pro-4-2-2-RileyROM-1-7-SDK-2-0)

Thanks.

BamaPanda
07-14-2013, 04:55 PM
I do have a template to install our ROM's via CWM, however until we get a device specific version of CWM for the M8 Pro, I'm afraid we can't use it just yet.

I looked over at Fun's thread on XDA...(which I can't seem to post on...for some reason) and I haven't seen any recent posts by him. If we could get Fun to produce a CWM specific to the M8 Pro, future ROM's can be flashed via CWM...I can put the template in with the ROM kit.

My apologies for getting off track.

I have another question about CWM, but I will do another thread later.

Thanks for the help.